Agnostic.com

68 12

What's a phrase you vehemently despise?

Mine's the phrase "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"
I'm not a cow, sex is not a commodity, and if I marry someone--I don't owe them sex (or vice versa for that matter).

Mea 7 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

'Wake up sheeple.'. UGH. First of all, why is it my responsibility to wake them up? Second, the smugness is fucking palpable.

"I identify as an attack helocopter."

@Stacey48 It's a weak and overused attempt at invalidating trans people.

"I don't read" or "I'll wait until the movie comes out"

Gohan Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

Anything used way too often

Literally...ugh!

knocked it out of the park I've heard way too often at the moment

Rule of thumb

Emme Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

What does that even mean? Thumbs don't make rules

@LadyAlyxandrea - Some believe it was the width of the stick a man could beat his wife with under English law a while ago.- if it's the size of your thumb, it's ok. "Make sure you measure that stick before you beat your wife! Thumb-size? OK go ahead".

@GoldenDoll awful!!!

I like the Viet Cong version: If an airplane or helicopter is the size of your thumb at arm's length, it means it can be hit with small arms fire. 🙂

@TheInterlooper it HAS been debunked. As a DV survivor,
that doesnt change the long running inferrence of the phrase.

@LadyAlyxandrea although it's been debunked, it was inferred that a husband could beat his wife with a stick as long as it wasn't thicker than his thumb. As a DV survivor, It STILL leaves a bad feeling even though it was debunked.

@TheInterlooper so does lacking EMPATHY I'd imagine.

I hate the word 'nigger'. I understand its etymological roots but it's a word that comes packed with a sinister and horrible past.

But in terms of phrases I can't stand 'We are where we are' it's so glib and dismissive

That, and "It is what it is."

I agree. Sex is a shared experience and people are people, not cows. Women are not livestock as the bible would have us believe.

I despise the phrase “guard your eyes”. Women’s bodies are not a trap for men or vice versa. Respect for my fellow human tells me where my eyes should look, not fear of sinful traps.

I Could care less.
Same difference.
Slow your roll.

MikaB Level 5 Apr 7, 2018

“It’s always darkest just before the dawn.”

No, it’s not. Have you been outside before sunrise before?

“Everything happens for a reason”

"Everything happens for a reason"

Just quote back George Carlin to them. "Sometimes the reason is your a moron"

Get a life!

"There is a reason for everything." "It is what it is." "Give it to God."

It's a word, not a phrase that I despise. When men loudly and repeatedly say "f-ck" in public. This is crass and offensive. I wince, particularly with children and older women nearby.

Asking a strange man to stop loudly saying "f-ck" usually results in an angry verbal attack. ("You f-cking bitch!" Don't tell ME what to do!" ) Only one young man apologised.

"God will teach you."

That dog won’t hunt.

Using the word "hater" to shut someone's opinion down, or if they point out a fact. You can't use the word hater just because someone has a difference of opinion or criticism. There is a time that this word is justified, but people use it in the wrong context a lot.

"It was just meant to be." Right after something terrible happens.

Go f*ck yourself.

It is what it is...while certainly true and very applicable at times, it has been done to death.

"You're delusional"

My ex would use that everytime he was losing an argument or I caught him in a lie. The reason why I abhore that statement is that I do have mental health issues, however they do not impact my thinking/analyzing ability.

Potty humour from anyone over 13.

And "act like a lady" I'm female. I'm a lady no matter what.

In the words of Rodney Dangerfield "That's no lady, that's my wife."

God works in mysterious ways, I disdain that one. Should be more like god works in delirious ways.

Anything out of a Penguins fan's mouth.

Go Pens! 😉

Go Predators!

There. I corrected it for you. Lol.

Like' being used throughout a conversation without apparent knowledge as to the correct use of the word. The other week I was on a bus hading North out of Aberdeen, when a large group of American female students joined the journey. All was well and good for about three seconds when the continula use oflike' was inserted into their conversations used as a verbal comma'. It was all I could do not to enter their banter, enquiring as to the exact similarity betweenhe & her' (he's like and she's like) or else the enjoyment when they like something.

There are sayings that make my eyes roll, but I can't say I vehemently despise them... What does irk me is anything coming out of a politician's mouth...

That's not six inches ....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49279
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.