Agnostic.com

43 9

LINK Do we have free will?

Free will is such a profound subject that I can't form my own opinion.

I read with great interest the following parts regarding some arguments for and against the reality of free will:

3.1 Arguments Against the Reality of Free Will
3.2 Arguments For the Reality of Free Will

I realize that not all atheists are free-will skeptic but determinists are.

Jetty 7 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments (26 - 43)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Did you ask to be born? As a decision making animal that in order to survive it has to use a go or not to go decision. Some are right, some are wrong, and we do both. Then they both lead to death...it matters not really which way we choose, there isn't much free will involved that i can see. Just another form of life that eats other lives, both needing protection from getting eaten. So what if we are a primary predator, it is our life and we can lose it the same as all other life can. Lets call it "subjective free will" instead of free.

I am curious: what is free will for you? Because it sounds like in your conception, free will requires for the individual to be eternal, unborn and immortal so that the choices made at every step of the way matter. It looks like you are focusing on the effect of the choices and not in the fact that there is a choice and a choice is made.

@Rodatheist not so, read it carefully. I am saying most mistake the decision making process as being a free will. it is a physical decision by our brains to prolong life as long as we can, that's hardwired by evolution for safety. And since we never had a hand in that decision by parents, to be born, and a god didn't have any doing it it, Free will is just hoping to make the best decision, that is pretty subjective.

@HerbertNewsam Each of those decisions is an act of free will. Why we need to make the decision and what is the consequence of the decision does not seem to be relevant for the fact that there is a decision made.

@Rodatheist I just don't complicate it. When in a forced decision caused by our reality(which is every single decision we have to make. Because matter keeps going forward, there is no reverse and the outcome of any choice is actually moot. I think it is a forced decision caused by evolution living in a very dangerous environment with the outcome of the decision being death no matter which path was chosen to take, so it is subjective to any data presented. If a decision requires any data whether it is good or bad makes no difference, it is subjective to that data. In the famous words of mankind "Oh god i hope it works" Well the god has never showed and don't expect one ever will. If every decision we have to make here is subject to our reality then that supposed freedom has lots of strings attached to it. It really seems to be subjective..... some evolution trickery going on....The decisions are an evolved process of our safety net. Always looking for be best thing or safest thing, we base our decisions on these things, more subjectivity than free will. Sure we can be idiots and jump off a cliff to say my freewill allowed that. nope just stupid. That decision was long removed by evolution. Can we take our own lives yup, that's not free will, that is escaping rigors of life. If the rigors of life are so bad to force actions like that, it is also subjective , is not a bad thing, it is just a thing. The pressures of life is
constantly moving us forward. Every decision we make is subjective to our being here. I just don't get this freewill shit i guess...all i see is strings attached by all the other beings here(not just people, even viruses) and we are all subjective to entropy. But i do get the mentality behind it, If we have free will, we are special.....

Although absolutely none of us was given the choice of being conceived nor born we do have the choice, i.e. Free Will, as to what we do with that life do we not?

@Triphid yes if the strings are removed, they aren't. I still say it is simply the misunderstanding of our brains decision making process. It baffles us so it must be free will.

@HerbertNewsam That is your take on the matter but I'm sure you can also see that others, including myself as well, do not have the same take on it as do you.
We, well a larger number of us imo that is, make decisions for ourselves using the reasoning and logic, etc, that is inherent in our cerebral matter almost every single moment of our lives.
Though some elements of our daily existences are governed solely by the Autonomic Nervous System over which, btw, we have no control, our conscious minds/brains are working, well for most of us anyway, continuously during our waking hours whether realize it or not.
For example, a person can use the 'free will,' so to speak, of their own mind to decide what to wear on any particular day/ocassion, a man can decide, also by means of his own 'free will' whether or not he shall shave on a Monday/Tuesday or whatever or simply forsake shaving and grow a beard.
One can also make the choice/decision using that same freedom of will to either become religious or not, is that not so?
IF you are acquainting actual Free Will with the religious concept as per the 'gift' by God so stated in the bible then, imo, you may be confusing the definitions completely.

@Triphid Well what we wear is always subjective to how we feel. We use lots of incoming data to decide things whether we are conscious or as we sleep. Everything we do is subjective to everything else, whether it is physically or mentally subjective. No i am not using the religious arguement. We are physical beings and are always subjective to our enviroment. Our mentalities are also just a physical result of our brains which is subjective to everything while we are alive. Death ends this experience

@HerbertNewsam But ultimately, most of us that is, we use our own minds via our 'free wiil/thought processes' to make such decisions as you mentioned.
Though, having said that, we must remember that there are those who are willing followers of the Fads and Trends of Fashion, etc, and only ever dress, etc, in accordance with such trends, etc, possibly because they either dread/fear being different to the rest of 'mob' or simply cannot encompass/comprehend, etc, the idea of being an indivual, etc.

Sure, but the "payment" for using the free will is often too high.

Hello. What do you mean?

yes, I'd love to know also?

@Rodatheist Well, it is like this. You want to be naughty, you have a free will to be naughty but you know if you get caught for your naughtiness it may not have been worth being naughty in the first place.

@Jolanta A good counter-comment, but it can also be said that using one's free will to good things whilst knowing full well that the only 'price' is often resultant in NOT being rewarded, either immediately or in some imaginary After-life IS a very worthwhile thing also?

@Jolanta yes, I get it and I agree with you. Now, of course there is the choice to not be naughty and then live in painful regret of having lost a chance of doing something. Some say that it is better to ask fo forgiveness than to ask for permission.
But in the end, we agree that there is a choice and that we are free to choose.

@Rodatheist Well you know there is naughty and naughty.

@Jolanta Yup, Subjectivity rules

@Jolanta Oh yes. I remember some naughty times that still maintain a mental smile of satisfaction in my mind. 👍🏼

I was taught that God is omniscient--that the future is as known to him as the past, down to the minutest detail. If that were true, God's knowledge of my future makes it fact, from the big things--like no longer believing in him, down to what color of socks I would wear next Tuesday. I began to despise the concept of following a script that seemed to be my own free will, but to an omniscient God who is also omnipotent and omnipresent and could intervene at any moment, made me a pawn in his chess game.

Later as a nonbeliever I was introduced to the notion that the universe is governed by cause and effect, and that we are, in essence, like billiard balls bouncing around a massive pool table. Our lives are the result of causes and effects over which we have no control. Free will, in the mind of some atheists, is an illusion. This I cannot accept either, and will choose the blue pill.

I believe that existing in any of these conceptions, the one governed by a god and the one governed by cause and effect, involve choices. Why would one not see that every moment a choice is made there is an exercise of free will?
Free will is obvious when one see the result of one’s choices. If I choose to kill someone, I may en up feeling remorse, and the only reason that remorse exists is that, back at the moment of my free choice, I could have chosen not to kill, regardless of who or what governs the universe.

@Rodatheist In the first case, we may 'think' we are making choices, but in a universe governed by an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent god, our choices are scripted. It 'feels' like free will, but God's knowledge of what we 'did' in the future, means it has already been determined. We are 'predestined' to choose the path that has been preordained by God himself. No free will, just the illusion of it.

In the second case, the choice to take another life, with or without remorse, was prescribed by our genetics and our environment, determinants that we had no control over. The results of this choice are immaterial to the determinant causes that produced the effect.

As I indicated, I reject both premises, and choose the blue pill.

@p-nullifidian We walk a path. The path is predetermined. There is a fork on the path. The fork is predetermined. What lays ahead on each path is predetermined. Choice of one of the paths or the choice to sit there and do nothing, all ,are exercises in free will.

It doesn’t really matter.

If we do we carry on our own sweet way determining the future by current actions.

If we don’t we just carry on our own sweet way!

It matters if you want to understand yourself. If you choose to live a life devoid of self analysis, that is ok, and that is precisely what free will is.

@Rodatheist Only if it exists. It’s no more certain nor uncertain than a deferrable being.

@Geoffrey51 Ok then please let me know if you exist or not because I am an atheist and I don’t like to have conversations with non-existing beings.

@Rodatheist I probably don’t then.

We have will. Whether it's "free" or not is beside the point.
Everything comes with a price.

Of course we do, it’s just some things we do come with consequences....

I say yes we do have free will, but that’s only because with the biochemistry of my brain that is the only outcome possible.

Evidence and reason seems to point to, "No." You have no choice over where you're born or to whom or in what situation or with what DNA that shapes your being. You have to obey rules of nature and are shaped by them, and you also are shaped by nurture, but that's shaped by nature. We are also under the guide of centuries of indoctrination that influence your "choices".

Simply showing an action and claiming it was a choice is not evidence of any underlying proof of that action being a choice that you yourself made. Simply saying you choose to eat an apple instead of an orange isn't proof that you REALLY were the agent to make that choice. They actually have done studies on "making choices" where a machine was able to read your brain signals to predict what choice you were going to make up to like 9 seconds before you make it. So was it your choice or was that thought to make that choice planted in your head beforehand?

Actions are either based on causality or randomness.

Are choices causal? If they are then things that preceded your "choice" are really responsible for your choice, and not you. If I put you in a maze (and you couldn't break through walls or get over them) and lead you to a certain spot in the maze then it wasn't really your choice to move to that spot. Your movements can be limited to the point where you have no choice but to "choose" a specific option.You could just stand still, but that's still a "choice" that's preceded by certain limitations already placed on you.

Is a choice randomness? By definition alone, randomness isn't free will. Random means without pattern or structure or without method or conscious decision, further meaning all probabilities are uncertain of being employed. That's not free will either.

We must act like we do make our own choices though.

I came into this discussion because topics like this have a draw on me. Some don't, therefore I don't post in them. Something that draws me in to discuss it is not because of my own free will. I like certain music and it's not because of a "choice" I'm making. There is something underneath the facade that makes me attracted to it. Same with women. Same with certain foods. I'm not in control of my taste buds or texture that feels good in my mouth or on my tongue. The list goes on and on and on.

I would suggest different levels of consideration here. We have our bodies and our bodies have a limited range of functionality and movement, so it is predetermined what we can do with them, but within that range of functionality and movement, we are at liberty of choosing our movements. I can choose to keep my knee on someone else’s neck until I kill that person or I can choose not to do so.

Can you? If you were a racist from years of indoctrination and hated black people, could you pick your knee up off his neck? Some racists seem to change and become not racist over time, but that's still not proof of free will. They were most likely influenced by nature. How is nature free will? Can the scorpion stop being a scorpion and stinging other beings to nourish itself from eating them?

@Piece2YourPuzzle It seems to me that you are contradicting yourself and then you conclude that the behaviors you present are “still no proof” because they are influenced by nature.
The contradiction stems from, first, your assumption that a person that receives years of racist indoctrination could not pick the knee off the neck, and then you say that some racists manage to become not racists over time. So which is it?
And it looks like you believe that just because there is some capacity that the individual got from birth, that means it is not free will. That does not seem to be correct. The shape and form and functionality of the human brain is predetermined by nature. One of his functions is to be able of making choices, and that is free will. Tribalism may be innate, but the choice of not acting tribally, is free will.
And of course, an instinct in a lower form of life like a scorpion, is not a valid comparison to the reasoning of a complex brain like that of mammals.

@Rodatheist That's not a contradiction. Some racists become not racist over time from societal influence. Indoctrination is from society. They are just indoctrinated by society to change as they were from parts of society to be racist. There is no proof that they just magically make a choice one day to be racist or not be racist. They are influenced. Some aren't able to be influenced to not be racist anymore. They still are subject to their previous indoctrination. How is that proof of free will?

Because a person gets some capacity from birth like being athletic or having a certain body type, it pushes them towards certain careers or actions like playing sports or weight lifting or modeling etc. Some people have 160 IQ at the age of 5. Their capacity for learning is much more than an average person. What choice did they have in that? Most times those people aren't interested in something like sports. Maybe sometimes they are because their makeup also incorporates and steers them in that direction.

Mammals brains are more alike to reptilian brains than most people think. We have triune brains though. Two of those sections consist of mammalian AND reptilian. The scorpion reference is a reference to it acting within it's natural makeup. You hang around a scorpion and you are most likely going to get stung.

A function is proof of a function, not free will. Action is proof of action, not free will. A function is a purpose of a person or thing. In no way does it mean anything about free will. Acting in a tribal way or not depends on if that function of your brain is active. Once again, in no way does it mean anything about free will. Anyway, how can being tribal be innate, but then not being tribal not be innate? That's not logical. We have our own instincts too, just like a scorpion. How long do you have to reason with your complex brain to move out of the way of a moving object so you don't get hurt? That's the part of your reptilian brain. Primates are mammalian. How complex are their brains? They're a "lower life form" than we are.

It's all about nature and nurture. "Choices" are influenced by both. There is no escaping either.

@Piece2YourPuzzle I believe what you call indoctrination (which sounds ominous) is really only culture. We all receive our culture from our environment. Of course, you are Free To Choose any word you want to use to refer to the phenomenon.

Now, I grew up in a chauvinist culture that keeps women subjected to men; that is what my culture always told me, and then I learned about the alternative, and I learned about human rights and dignity, and now I choose not to seek that kind of relationship with women. It is free will because it is a choice. The choices to pick from may be the result of any combination of predetermined circumstances, but the moment one makes a choice from any of those options, that IS free will. Free will does not mean that you have to have at your disposition ALL the choices that ever can exist in the universe. And of course, a choice to choose from is, by definition, predetermined, but that does not negate the fact that there is an option and there is a process of deliberation and the arrival to a conclusion: a choice. Why do you need “proof” that such is a choice, is beyond me.
Mammalian brains have three parts and one resembles that of a reptile, of course, it is the product of evolution. Now, I don’t know what most people think about how reptilian the mammal brains are, but you arrive to the conclusion that mammal brains are more alike to reptilian brains and I think that warrants some references.
And as I keep reading your words about things that do not proof free will, I am wondering what do you think free will is.
One does not need to be free from the influence of nature and/or nurture to make a choice. The point of free will is to make the choice.
And now, you can exercise your free will and choose between answering to this or not. No further proof needed.

@Rodatheist Indoctrination just means, "teaching". Key word, "learned". Everything is learned or inherited. Learning is nurture. Just saying you're free to choose doesn't prove anything. Saying that doesn't move the needle in any direction.....at all. If there are predetermined circumstances then it's not really a choice. Predetermined means decided in advance. If past events were predetermined then any "choice" you make is based on that predetermined event. Meaning, it's cause and effect. You were led to "choose" a certain option. I just read an analogy that says if your life was rewound that you would be in the same exact position with the same exact mental state of mind with the same exact beliefs, thoughts, and desires at that point in time. It all leads to a logical point called now and it would still be the same "choices" from the cause that came before it. No matter how many times you would rewind your life, it would always be in the same state just as a video. Videos don't change simply because you rewind them.

A "choice" being "made" does not prove it was done with free will anymore than buying roses for your girlfriend or wife means you care about her. An action is just proof of an action. An action is not proof of free will. Free will isn't simply an action occurring. An option being presented is the same. A deliberation is the same. Thought is the same. You are stuck on thinking these things mean a choice being made is free will. They don't. You don't have to be free to make a choice............it doesn't mean you are making the choice of your own free will. It's an easy distinction to see.

It's in the title. "Human and reptile brains aren’t so different after all"
[massivesci.com]

Fear, fight or flight, anger, hunger, sex, territory...........all part of the reptilian part of our brains. It's all instinct. You made the argument that scorpions were lower instinct based life forms and it wasn't a valid comparison. It is.

As long as you don't treat this life as a dream(of somebody else. [agnostic.com] ) you have a free will. That doesn't necessarily mean that you can demonstrate it!

Free will? I just want free Apple pie!

To some degree, no. Our actions and the actions that engulf us are at times not up to us. Thus, we are, at least at times, not able to make some choices. Even simply saying I quit can be stopped sometimes by others.

Yes. We have free will.
What would possibly be an argument that we do not?

how about--why would ppl of free will have a system of govt that will surely impoverish them & cause untold misery?

we are guided by information/data at all times. Every decision we make is dependent on data. The data controls us, we only use it...free will is a misunderstaning of our reality that it all comes down to a forced decision. Life is a process of forced decisions and to me that removes any so called freedom people want so desperately. I cannot see anthing free about it, just hard living.

we have free willy, and if you don't believe me, here is my willy for you, it's free

@Jetty it's free

A whale of an offer...

Thank god we have the choice to refuse offers!! 😂

And why? 🙂

@Rodatheist because our minds develop an inner dialogue based on our conditions and it causes our perceptions to be jaded.

@JeffMesser It really does not matter how jaded are our perceptions. Once we make a choice based on them, that choice is an exercise on free will. And in fact, if you are conscious of how jaded are your perceptions and you choose not to make a choice, that is also an exercise on free will. Free will is the choice, and the basis on which we make the choice is irrelevant.

@Rodatheist nope. it's the illusion of free will. but you can only think things you have been taught and conditioned to think. all you really get to decide is if you'll be raising your hands during the coaster ride or not.

@JeffMesser I think it is too bad you can no longer tell that to Einstein, Kepler, Newton, Galileo, Mozart, Beethoven, Da Vinci and others because they would have a good laugh.

No. But we also can't tell the difference, so it sort of doesn't matter! 🙂 For me the test is simple. If somebody were born with the same genes at the exact time and place as you, would they be the same? The exact same, here reading this right now?

If every particle in the universe was in the same position, I can't see how it wouldn't be exactly the same. Unless there is some random element in it? I think our ego's won't let us contemplate this objectively. And look, if I didn't have free will, would I say something completely whacked right now like: "The duck likes baseball". ? No way! So I must have free will right?

Anyways, I can't think how its possible to prove it. And that it doesn't change our experience, so it sort of doesn't matter except as a fun intellectual exercise.

Where the debate becomes an issue, is in religion. It is used as an excuse for the "Problem of Evil". The idea that evil exists because we have freewill. Its a BS argument, and the Christians who argue based on it are human scum - and when I have a chance I cause problems in their lives professionally and personally.

This is because, to say to somebody "well, its completely your choice whether you push that button or not. I will kill your family and torture you if you don't, but you have free will." That is extortion, not freewill. And the majority of conservative Christians believe that, and therefore they are human filth. One of the biggest reasons Covid is kicking Americas ass is because of the anti-science thinking pushed by the kinds of religious people like that.

@TheMiddleWay Maybe, but just because we can't predict it doesn't mean it doesn't have a pattern. Quantum Mechanics and C.Theory describe things random to US, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I think to make a computer big enough to simulate, and therefore predict, the state of every particle in the universe - would take a computer as big as the universe. But I do believe that if every single particle, down to the Boson level and etc, could be say taken back 1000 years into the past and let go again, in the exact same state they were then. We would be typing this right now again, 1000 years later.

Again though, I don't see how we can "prove" it though, one way or another. Its more of a fun intellectual exercise! Our ego's won't let us really objectively analyze the issue. Where I only have a problem with it is when its used by the religious, and it makes me frankly feel violent. They use it to excuse the idea of a "loving god" that lets kids be born with cancer. They are assholes. 🙂

@TheMiddleWay I just looked up DEVS, it looks cool. We aren't on HULU and I'm wary of free trials, but maybe it will show up on Amazon Prime.

Interesting sideline to all this political crap. More militantly angry friends have contacted me several times now about help with "projects" they have. They know I play with dangerous science for fun. But I also believe that militant reactions to this stuff will not help, it just feeds the cycle.

I have some creative, and fairly amazingly powerful, ideas --- that I don't write about, nor even talk to my partner or friends about. Ways of using household items for gigantic results, and I just can't have the ideas even get out there.

But, its cathartic to at least think about.

My wildest hope? I hope AI saves us! 🙂

@TheMiddleWay Ah, they know I play with radiation - not just substances but devices that emit high energy beams of all sorts. Retired gamma ray tubes from anti-cancer usage and etc. And I play with very high voltages. Lasers that burn things (racks of them, not just a cool hot little pointer). And with chemicals some. And I'm creative, I am a Maker, who loves to hack things together. And I tend to think more strategically than tactically, about communities and infrastructure. Changes that would take communities months to recover from.

And . . . fortunately, I'm also a pacifist. Some years down the road maybe I'll write them down! So, I vent by thinking about them - and talking about it right now! 🙂

Ok - two more harmless things. A head wearable Wifi snooper and jammer, look at the device and it is knocked offline. I've decided I don't like that much V/m energy right on my forehead, but it was fun to make - see the evil smiley face on it? Makes it more powerful! 🙂 And to the left of that is a wideband jammer I made.

What would happen if a suitcase with a strong gamma ray tube, capacitors and batteries were set next to . . . . ok I will shut up now. 🙂

@TheMiddleWay Were you teaching at college level recently then? It is hard these days, I was doing IT work in a rich kids school until Covid - and 1/2 my job has been being a cop. A residential school - so trying to manage internet usage/devices somewhat 24 hours a day is maddening. The kids are smart, sneaky and merciless. And, I have compassion and don't kill them because I remember that when I was 16 I would be doing the same thing!

I did come up with some fun things I tried on them, ways of using UV light reflected off the windows behind them to fuck with some of their gadgets. IP redirects to really hilarious websites. And etc. But again, I didn't get into tech to be a cop, so it gets old.

We are free to act (when not coerced), but our choices are determined by our genetic endowments and the sum total of our experiences.

According to Libet, we have "free won't" :

[psychologytoday.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:501352
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.