Agnostic.com

27 12

LINK Did Jesus Exist? | American Atheists

A very interesting read. I find so, anyway.
No mockery, no bashing. A thorough analysis of the Bible that reasons why arguments against the existence and resurrection of Christ stand strong.
Intellectually satisfying.

Jetty 7 June 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, as an Atheist Theologian, yes that IS right AN Atheist who has studied for and gained a ThD, I can safely say that the Jesus as depicted in the bible ( The Goat-herders Guide to the Galaxy) IS a 100% completely fiction based work of Religious Propaganda created solely from innumerable other sources and ages older myths and legends plagiarized, twisted and contorted by the Scribes who were ordered at the Council of Nicaea, circa 325 C.E. to suit the ends and means of the Founders of the Christian Movement.
The truth of the entire matter is that the WHOLE bible is nothing more a work of plagiarism from the first chapter of Genesis to the last word of Revelations.

I have no problem thinking that a person, named Yeshua, who was one of the many Messiah figures of the time, who had a following and was put to death by the Romans, actually existed. And, after his death, he became something he never was in life. In the bible, one can see how, over time, he went from being a human to being the son of God, to being THE God of the universe which was later explained by inventing the trinity doctrine.

So, Jesus, as described in the bible, did not exist; but a person who is at the root of the myth likely did, imo.

@Jetty Absolutely EVERYTHING contained in the compendium of Myths, Legends, Fireside Stories, etc, etc, known as the Bible can be traced back, simply and easily, to Cultures and Civilisations that pre-date the bible by well over 2,000+ years.
Using the simplest of logic anyone with even half a brain can ferret out the blatant and utter falsehoods of both Historical and Familial Lineages, etc, it claims to be real and indisputable.
Let us look at just a few examples,
A) The bible claims to be able to trace the Familial Lineage of this Yeshua/Yeyeshua/Jesus, from Galilee no less, through to David and even back to Abraham himself, correct?
No, in the times to which it refers when NO birth records, etc, were actually kept AND Galilee was a seperate region to Judaea then it would be logically impossible to accurately date ones familial lineage back as far as they claim.
B) Exodus, Claiming that the Jews, were Slaves in Egypt for approx. 400 years when Actual Slavery was a breach of the Egyptian Rule of Maat ( the Rule of Universal Harmony) plus there is no mention of any monuments, like the Pyramids for example, which wee well known throughout the Middle East at the time and the Pyramids were built and finished approx. some 1,000 years prior.
So, definitely a NO there PLUS it claims to have occurred DURING the Reign of Rameses the Great, i.e. Entirely wrong King and period to start with as has been historically prove time and time again.
C) the O.T. claims that the Gospels of the Apostles WERE written by those Apostles, ergo, how can that be since ONLY 1 so-claimed Apostle was actualy literate enough to write and he, presumably was a Tax Collector for the Roman Emperor anyway.

@Riviks Any church, temple, cathedral, etc, etc, can and should, technically and logically, be considered as being a Cult since every one of those religions REQUIRES a Leading Person/s to acts as the Prophet/Interpretor of the Deity.s which they worship and obey, well they will tell you they obey that it, unquestioningly.

Richard Carrier is a very well-educated historian and what he says in relation to the history surrounding the time Jesus lived makes a great deal of sense to me.

+1 for Richard Carrier

Nice to see so much substantiated debunking in one article.

I thoroughly enjoyed the read. Thanks for posting!

I enjoy parts of the Apochrypha! Giants from "heaven" mating with earthlings, aaannnddd etc...they were considered part of "sacred texts" for centuries....

Short answer is no. Zero historical evidence. Zero archeological evidence. To discuss biblical evidence is a waste of time because the old testament doesnt even mention the name in any prophecy and the new testament was wtitten after the fact. See didn't need such a lengthy discussion. I did read the whole thing and it coyld have been significantly shortened only discussing the lack of evidence from all the roman historians mentioned there.

Yes!

Jesus = Zero History or Herstory!!!

Unless you were born Hispanic in the last five hundred years in Latin America!!!

[bartdehrman.com]

@Jetty no.

"jesus" was not mentioned in ANY literature for more than 100 years after his supposed existence.

To me, this indicates he did not exist and is only a manufactured fable that become a hysteria.

How about the evidence from an actual (non-believer) Biblical Scholar ?

[bartdehrman.com]

I concur. I still remember that in one of the interviews with him that I have listened to he talked about the CS Lewis lord, liar, lunatic thing and Bart said that legend is the fourth 'L' that should be added.

It would be nice if the video had given us just one juicy tidbit. I probably won’t buy the book to find out. I think I’ve seen Bart in other videos where he does mention some of his reasons, but I don’t remember the specifics, other than to say... I wasn’t overwhelmed. I don’t claim to know, but I still have doubts. And it doesn’t matter to me enough to spend a lot of time on it.

@skado Although I haven't read "Did Jesus Exist", I have read several of his books, and would recommend them all. All of them I have checked-out of the library. 🙂

@FearlessFly
I actually own a couple of his books I haven’t gotten around to reading yet, but I’ve watched a few videos of him. He’s definitely worth paying attention to.

I'm going to read that. Thank you.

@NOSDEN I like "Forged" best, but I would recommend any/all of his :

[bartdehrman.com]

I was really glad to read Note F at the end, because that was grating at me through the whole read haha

Note F:
"I say “official gospels” because there are, in fact, many other gospels known. Once people started making them up, they sort of got stuck in over-drive. Only later on in Christian history did the number get pared back to four."

Furthermore, it doesn't address something I found interesting years ago. I read something that pointed out that the story of "Jesus" actually wasn't as unique as Christians are led to believe. Throughout history there have been stories of others who share almost exactly the same story as him, just a different name, area, and time. Honestly, I think the Jesus story was a recycled story that had been "modernly revamped", and for some reason it stuck (probably as a means for control).

He does exist. He is from Mexico and stole the hub caps off my car last week!

Serious note, Christ is a title, not a name. Last names were not common at the time he supposedly lived. It would have been something like Joshua son of Joseph, or Jesus of Nazareth, or something like that.

PLUS THE ROMANS HAVE NO RECORD OF SUCH A PERSON! They kept track of EVERYTHING. Even seemingly meaningless paperwork has survived. No record of Jeebus tho. The devil did that to "trust my faith"?

@K9Kohle789 I don't remember anything about the sperm in the swimming pool. I call BS on that. Clorene (sp) would kill it. Similar myths about sperm in bathtubs and hot tubs have been debunked.

Don't think this website would exist if he did.

Possibly not and maybe a Roman invention to control the Jews with. As I get older it is more on my mind that the meeting between Jesus and Pilot probably did not happen and it is likely that they each did not speak the same language. I'm sure there could have been many at that time who wanted to usher in a new Kingdom and I doubt there was reason to interview them. If they caused a problem just execute them. You Jews just look at this. Now you have killed your own Messiah.

This will be argued until the cows come home or in this case the goats come home but it is worth listening to Richard Carrier on the subject.
Whether Jesus/Joshua was a historical figure,an amalgamation of several figures or the figment of someones imagination is not really that important. What is important is that the resurrection story is pure fantasy.

Lots of great posts on this question, but in MHO, the important question is not, “did a man named Jesus exist,” but was he God incarnate ? And knowing this group, I know the resounding answer. 🤓

Many talks on this. My biggest question. Who cares. I know a few people that have the name Jesus. If they are, or were real people says nothing to the point of their 'divinity' .

No Buddhist scripture was written down until hundreds of years following Siddhārtha Gautama's death, yet as far as I know no one questions the Buddha’s existence.

I know this has no bearing on the question of the existence of Jesus, yet it does somewhat explain the lack of historical records in general.

I have no vested interest in whether the guy existed, but I rather like some of his alleged teachings. Someone wrote those things. We are all brothers and sisters together.

Religions is about money, politics and power. That's why it's still around and will probably remain forever. Look at the damned politics now!

I am sure that Jesus existed. Didn't you read the account of him discovering Koolaid? It was brilliant. He kept a party going by having the brilliant foresight to have dried grape powder with him to mix with water. He pulled it off so well that people thought it was godly. What a downright righteous partier.

He also turned minnows into smoked salmon.

@PondartIncbendog Is that why they like smelt in Chicago. I remember working in the suburbs and there was a day that they all ate smelt.

No. Jesus is a Jewish myth. Clearly described in hebrew texts. Richard Carrier is the clear authority on this crap.

JacarC Level 8 June 30, 2020

That was one of the most thorough and concise articles that I’ve read in regards to Christianity. And thank you for sharing this.

If he did, there's certainly more evidence that this figure did not exist. Which would be odd for someone who had 12 adult men following him around everywhere, allegedly. It would be even more odd if there were no records or written accounts of this person. Especially someone famous during his time for performing miracles, healings and prophecy. How weird would it be if no one even wrote about this great person until a hundred or more years later?

Man, that would be weird.

SCal Level 7 June 27, 2020

@Jetty The exodus was a fake too. Which means israel is also fake. Which means being jewish is just a religious claim. Jews are just Egytians or Syrians.

@SCal "The Invention of the Jewish People" by Shlomo Sand explains that in some detail. It is ironic that being ant Jewish is called being anti semitic when the Palestinians being persecuted by the state of Israel are more semitic than they are.

I think it's likely that some guy named Jesus existed, though he was just regular person who sold religion to people. Heck, he might have been a nice guy, just completely lacking in superpowers. It seems more plausible that a religion was created around a person that actually existed rather than a purely fictional person. If Buddha, Muhammad, and Joseph Smith existed, then it seems likely that Jesus did too.

maybe he was just a dude who was a damned good carpenter. As a carpenter thats what I would like lol

There are several points in the article that I could discuss but for brevity this on I will discuss for now. "Matthew and Luke contradict each other in such critical details as the genealogy of Jesus – and thus cannot both be correct – we must ask why real eye-witnesses "

From wikipedia on Eye witness memory: However, the accuracy of eyewitness memories is sometimes questioned because there are many factors that can act during encoding and retrieval of the witnessed event which may adversely affect the creation and maintenance of the memory for the event. Experts have found evidence to suggest that eyewitness memory is fallible.[1] [en.m.wikipedia.org].

This is just a starting point to research further understanding the reason eye witnesses give different testimonies. I have had other training in police academy that gave more indepth explination. I do not have those references right now but you could do your own further research.

This is a question I ask, "Did the biblical author(s) intended with purpose to make the eye eye witness accounts appear to be contradictory so that modern day psychologists would consider the statements more authentic.

If the various writtings purported to be from different people then it would be a lot more "fishy" for all of the information to match up exactly perfect.

Where as if we considered "all biblical text was written by one person and only one person ", that person would have to be a freaking genius to have the difference in testiment that appears scientificly like eye witness testimony is observed for being contradictory.

Word Level 8 June 27, 2020

@Jetty Without being able to give reference, It is my general understanding that many of the disciples were or would of been illiterate such as some fishermen at the time the first were following Jesus character. I had come across something once that explains that Luke, being purported as a Doctor, was educated and his writing was evaluated to be written with better Greek than the other gospels. Luke was not one of the original 12 disciples.

Paul, saul of Tarsus, is written to of said about himself that he was "Pharisee among Pharisees ". I would say he is being purported as being very educated in the old testiment laws.

@Jetty So, to answer you question in short, it could of took years for some of the disciples to learn to write or find someone to write for them.

@Word, first I don't believe in an actual, that guy there was Jesus. As said above, this is an old tale from multiple societies. That said, illiteracy in said time period was not as pronounced as some like to think. Many people could read. Having the ability to write was rarer, and thus the professional scribe. And, with Jesus, a supposed rabbi, reading would have been fundamental and unsurprising to have associates who could read as well.

@Beowulfsfriend It would sound like conventual wisdom for what you say, "And, with Jesus, a supposed rabbi, reading would have been fundamental and unsurprising to have associates who could read as well."

I would say consider 1 Corinthians 1:27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; ...

So a seemingly foolish thing of having illiterate followers has done a lot to effect history for the last 2000 years.

Are you for real???

LMAO!!!

Brilliant read.
Common sense and simple logical reasoning are enough to confirm the non existence of this figure.

Even if Jesus did exist as a mortal man which is extremely unlikely there is absolutely no evidence of any higher powers. Anybody with any common sense should be able to figure that out.
I use to support American Atheist but when I figured out they were dominated by left wing liberal idiots I withdrew all my support even though I agree with them about their lack of religious beliefs. In fact I eventually concluded that the religious folks were far better people than those left wing nuts who are predominate in American atheist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:509973
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.