Agnostic.com

18 21

LINK Bill Nye Says ‘We’re All One Species’ As He Simplifies Race In Viral Video | ETCanada.com

Bill Nye is done with skirting around a topic.

From sharing the importance of wearing a mask to racism, Nye is tackling everything via his new TikTok platform.

Nye explained why we have different skin colours but are really all the same.

He started off sharing a map that showed the intensity of UV light across the globe.

HippieChick58 9 July 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course! Anyone who's studied evolution realizes there is no such thing as "race." We all originated in the same place, carry the same structure and only developed different skin shades and superficial facial differences as evolutionary responses to geographic-related stresses.

Among those characteristic which all humans share is social nature...we have ''tribes.'' They might be as simple as school groups, sports fans, religions, anything we use to set ourselves apart from others. Tribes are useful...they teach us how things are done, what's important...they keep us safe.

They also give rise to racism and other hatreds, especially when we feel threatened and unsafe.

Modern race ideas started (as we know it) with Columbus and came right on up through Hitler. There is no pure white race and never has been.

So all the vile anti-white racism is without basis??? I can support that.

JacarC Level 8 July 24, 2020

Now we need someone to explain why we seem need an "other" to fear/hate.

Donna...see my comment above. Sorry I didn't see your question before.

It has been known for over 20 years there is no such thing as race (there is racism, though). We are all basically a conglomerate of tribes with basically cosmetic and cultural differences. Nothing more.

INDEED ^^ science says we(humans) were literally wiped
out - leaving as few as a few thousand humans WORLDWIDE ; this happened a DOZEN TIMES- not once.
So as you stated , we blended TOTALLY a long time ( millennia) / and we need ALL human potential to remain = because it will happen again.
Thanks

Awesome guy

bobwjr Level 10 July 23, 2020

If not, no organ donors or blood transfusions would be possible unless "color-matched", duuuh

Nicely Put☺️😏🙄🤗

How many times have I said this? There is no such thing as race. It's a social construct.

SCal Level 7 July 23, 2020

Racism is a form of insecurity.

When my son was little, I was explaining racism to him. We had a black cat and a white cat at the time and when I was finished he exclaimed that racism was as stupid as favoring our white cat over our black cat simply on the basis of their color.

I have contemplated racism much, especially since then. I think color may be just a representative factor while the real prejudice is toward different cultures, namely in the US primarily mainstream caucasian culture favoring itself over the differences in African American and Hispanic cultures.

Despite their many faults, my non-religious parents did not permit discrimination on the basis or race or ethnicity in their household, for which I feel fortunate. Even so, my position is that while we live in a racist culture we are all racists by default. That does not keep us from joining the movement however, and if Trump sends his hooligans to Denver to abduct people like the brown shirts did in Germany in 1938, I will be there.

I agree ; as a child I refused the-KOOL AID . Humanity
can destroy itself , we are at a scary time.

Human dna might show that we are 'one' but it fails to address racism which is escalating as never before and is evident throughout the world in every country; therefore other markers need to be factored in.

The sooner that we can destroy the pernicious myth of race, the better off we humans will be.

What myth are you referring to (I'm curious) thanks!

@Earthling50 Don't play naive.

@wordywalt sarcasm is not required. Why not just answer the question? Are you reducing everything to DNA?
I recall renowned Joseph Campbell asking Martin Buber what he meant by the term 'god'. No question is too dumb ...put yourself to the task please.

@Earthling50 If you want to talk about ethnicity, fine. That is a real and useful concept. Race is not.

We are all the one, and only, surviving member of the Genus Homo, which has nothing to do with sexual identity.

Alot of dummies can learn a lot if they willing to listen.

A very simplistic view of a complex topic.

It all comes down to evolution, an how long have reproducing populations been apart.

Humans split from chimpanzees 5 to 7 million years ago. Since then, there were enough genetic mutations that Humans and chimpanzees could not have sex and produce offspring.

Humans split from Neandertals 300K to 500K years ago. Mondern humans and Neandertals were close enough genetically that they could reproduce with each other and produce offspring, so Europeans and Asians get about 2% to 4% of their DNA from Neandertals.

The limit for most species that they be sufficiently different that they cannot reproduce is about 1 to 2 million years.

Modern humans migrated out of Africa about 50K to 60K years ago, so there was very little interbreeding between modern humans in Europe and Asia with modern humans in Africa for about 50K to 60K years.

The modern humans who became Europeans and the modern humans who became Asians split about 40K years ago.

So for about 40K years:

Modern humans who became Europeans did not breed with Asians or Africans
Modern humans who became Asians did not breed with Europeans or Africans
Modern humans who became Africans did not breed with Europeans or Asians.

This 40K years of evolving separately led to physical differences, skin color, hair texture, facial features, that was very different among the three different groups (or races) of people.

Then all of that changed due to people like Vasco De Gama, Christopher Columbus, and Ferdinand Magellan. Once modern humans started traveling in large numbers from continent to continent, they started interbreeding with each other, so the physical (racial) differences that were so apparent in the 1400's are diminishing rapidly.

BD66 Level 8 July 23, 2020

@altschmerz [en.wikipedia.org].

Do we really need a TV presenter to tell us something that is so apparent ?. I hope not.

Some do.

Hello! Are you new here? Are you familiar with the USA? We are fighting battles in the streets over race issues. Yes it is messed up! Our education system has gone down the tubes, we have a reality TV star as president, and corruption and graft run amok. YES we are that bad, and even worse. Yes we need a TV presenter/scientist to tell us the real stuff and even then I don't think it will sink in.

@HippieChick58 Take your point. I suggested on another thread that being an atheist was normal. The poster responded by asking if I thought that 91% of Americans were not normal as only 9% identified as atheist.
I think you have answered the question for me.

Homo Sapiens is a single species. The "races" defined within the species are mostly arbitrary.

ya know if I really needed a religion it would be a 2 God religion. Bill Nye and Neil Tyson lol

redhog Level 7 July 23, 2020

I could definitely become an adherent to that religion.

@HippieChick58 the evil force would be climate change and we would read from The Book of Carl.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518034
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.