Agnostic.com

29 13

Acceptance

Do you feel “accepted” being atheist/agnostic? I often feel like a modern leper. I often think it’s less of an invisible man in the sky and more a sensitivity to bullshit. People don’t like it when you call that out...

Marlowe 3 Aug 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't look for approval or acceptance from others. I like the person that I am. I am a decent person and if someone doesn't like who I am then screw them.

Exactly.

Living in the Bible Belt, I don't wear my atheism on my sleeve. I do speak to others about it, but only when the topic comes up. 🙂

Even outside the belt, I meet very few who are comfortable with the term “atheist”

@Marlowe I rarely use the word "Atheist" and prefer "nonbeliever" or "secular".

I grew up feeling like a perpetual outsider/foreigner. I have never felt "accepted" even among my own family.

But here's the thing, you quickly stop caring about approval. Kick those who won't accept you out of your life. Keep those who do. It'll make you a happier person.

A close friend of mine asked me to be a mentor to his 17-year-old daughter. I said to him," Let's think this through - are you sure you want someone who's given the finger to religion, marriage, and child-bearing in a patriarchal society advising your daughter on anything?" He just stared at me dumbfounded. I would have told her not to get those tattoos though.

My answer would have been yes. 🙂

I'm proud and out about my atheism/agnosticism and very confident and upbeat in my explanation of my humanistic point of view. It comes up a lot because of what I do for a living.

I perform weddings and funerals - so folks often ask "so you're a minister?" and I reply that I'm a humanistic minister, focusing on human values rather than biblical values, since most of my clients are wanting a personal service, rather than a religious worship service.

I explain that folks who want a religious wedding or funeral go to their church, but for those who choose not to go to church, I provide an inspirational uplifting meaningful and memorable event - inclusive to all religions and none at the same time.

For the most part, I'm respected and welcomed into the community as a useful member.

Of course. I accept myself. Others don't matter.

I don’t bring it up too often. It has damaged relationships, especially at work, when it was known. Now I keep it to myself or share on sites like this one.

Yes, why would you want to stick your neck out.

I don’t do much w people besides work . 🦇
My patients don’t need to know my ideas on religions , and my coworkers accept who I am bcz it does not matter at our line of work . 🤡
My very few close friends , less than 5, they know me for a life time , 30 and 20 yrs of friendship . Besides one , rest are atheists as well 🙌
My dogs think I am god anyways 😂. I come home and the sun rises . I leave home and the world collapses 😂. Soo much drama everyday w those two , I think I got all I can handle 😂😂✌🏻✌🏻

I think it's only an issue if you live in one of those repressive regimes like Saudi Arabia or USA. 🙂)

'merica

My beliefs are acceptable to me. I don't need acceptance from anybody.

I never experience this. I’ve been an atheist since I was 15 and I turn 44 on Sunday

Not everyone will accept you for who you are... The best thing is to be yourself and socialize will people who accept that...

Too many people just want to believe that they can save someone with their b.s.
My older sister, whose husband became an evangelical minister after retiring from business doesn't allow the two if us to talk religion, only family - that works for me in that situation. My sister is 17 years older than I am.

I have very few friends. Over the years my friends have went separate ways just as my ex wife did. I find that I really do not like people because they are not honest, and I try to understand that. Many friends claim to be religious when they really are not. Some claim to have "the answers" and I know this is not true. People pretend and they want to belong. This causes them to make BS up. I remain un-impressed and do not need to be accepted. I love to talk but I can be perfectly happy entertaining myself. Your boredom is not my problem.

Show me someone with many friends, and I will show you someone with no friends. I have few friends, and cherish those that I do have. Let me add that I am friendly by nature and people generally like me, but that is much different than friendship.

It's nothing compared to telling people you don't believe in free will. I've never feel more hated than when I share that nugget.

The type of people who would avoid me because I don't practice their mass delusions, actually make life more bearable when they do.

JimG Level 8 Aug 7, 2020

I have friends that know and don’t care. But between my not interested in dating someone who smokes or does drugs, and my being atheist, I find my dating opportunities distressingly limited. And that bothers me greatly,

I wish I did not concur, but I do.

Interestingly, it's almost the exact opposite in aussie. If you say you're religious most will avoid you and if you're over 30 and smoke or do drugs you severely limit your options. Fortunately, from my point of view as an atheist non drug user

I have not worried about acceptance since high school!!

I say “fuck them if they can not take a joke”!!!

The joke has always been on them!!!

It’s the double standard that bothers me, politicians and athletes and other public figures have no problem spouting off their opinions and superstitions and take offense if I don’t “respect” them by staying silent.
However if I say I’m an atheist then they’re offended that I didn’t keep silent and openly disrespect me.
I’m tired of remaining silent, sick of little to no representation and tired of being used as the punching bag for people that have the two faced morality of a Trump supporter.
F them all, I’ll not be shut up or shut down.

It all depends where you live. If in the US then probably not. Where I live most people don't give a hoot.

That sounds very refreshing. Sadly, I have a hard time imagining it here anytime soon.

Sadly the Faithfools of this world seem to have a huge problem with anyone who does not follow along with them and their systems of belief.
They so often exhibit what I choose to call, Amnesia of Convenience, when it comes to one the guiding principles ( amongst almost countless others as well) of the Christian Belief system, i.e. " Judge not, let ye too shall be judged."
And, in my experiences, the worst purveyors of both 'Amnesia of Convenience' and down-right religious bigotry are the Evangelists, the Catholics and the Believers of Convenience, i.e. those who proclaim belief BUT only when and if it suits their immediate needs, etc.

Acceptance should be mutual and genuine. If it isn't, at some point you just have to move on.

Some people are accepting, some not, but that is true about all manner of things, not limited to beliefs. People who are unreasonably close-minded don't make good friends anyway, so who cares. It does matter if it affects your work.

I don't feel accepted as a person. Forget about personal beliefs.

I accept myself...everybody else can pound sand.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:521931
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.