Agnostic.com

14 7

LINK Scientists Disagree on the Universe’s Age, So Creationists Are Claiming Victory | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

The scientist all say some number of billions of years, The creationists say about 6000 years. That they try to claim victory, is a joke.

snytiger6 9 Aug 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A difference between science and religions. Science looks at things, gives an explanation, then says, this is only the beginning, there is much more to know. Religion says this is the way it is, don't bother to look for anymore answers.

@glennlab I’m going to add to your words on science.

Scientists look at things and may try to make a testable hypothesis. If it’s testable, if the test succeeds, and other scientists also test it and succeed, they have an explanation that will always be open to more testing. Always there is more to know.

Hey, folks. I just learned about the Concordance Model of Cosmology. I strongly endorse learning about it. I suppose the Cosmologists wanted something cool-sounding to keep up with the Standard Model of Physics. But, it IS cool and mind-stretching. I really liked the nucleosynthesis angle explaining the ratio of Hydrogen to Helium. Give those neurons a workout!!! You deserve it!!! Eff the Creationists and their enablers.

What’s your evidence for it?

@yvilletom I personally have no evidence for it. It was covered in the Teaching Company course on Cosmology. I have read about the supposition of both Dark Energy and Dark Matter, and the cosmic background radiation surveys, the red-shift, etc. I am especially interested in the problem of how the super-massive black holes developed so quickly. I remember seeing intertwined galactic jets and supposing that they must be coming from a pair of orbiting giant black holes...

[en.wikipedia.org]

@racocn8 Thanks for your quick reply.
I like those Teaching Company courses. Since I retired 24 years ago I’ve taken forty,, most of them in science and history. It’s like going to college without having to travel or park.
If you’re interested in more info on the universe, click on "Love of Physics" Group

As pointed out by Niel deGrassie Tyson in the Nova series "The Cosmos", we can measure the distance to individual stars and considering the speed of light, we can see stars that are way over 6,000 light years away. Therefore, we are "seeing" more than 6,000 years in the past.

Answers for questions are not won or lost by default, how outrageous and silly. Christians and just stupid

There's creationists, and then there's young-Earth creationists ... dumb, and dumber!

What gets me is how the Creationists are off by a factor of a million. A MILLION!!!

If only they the capacity for humiliation, but that is part of their bargain at being egotists who lie as much as they like. It's bizarre... In a way, they are like Smith, human-like, but profoundly flawed in their absolute self-allegiance. Also like Smith, they are disinterested in anything outside of their belief, making them narrow-minded in their deviance. Exceptions are notable because they are exceptions.

Some quantum effect from the Higg's field means they may have to reexamine maybe making the universe up to a billion years younger. They aren't sure yet.
They're still investigating for F sake.

Science is always a work in progress.
Our understanding and interpretation of the universe and aspexts of it can be refined and, rarely, even change.
That is a strong point, not a weak point.

Well, according to calculations 'performed' by one Arch-Bishop James Usher the Earth was created around nightfall before Sunday, 23rd of October in the year 4,004 B.C.E. ( B.C.in the old money.)
Given that it now the year 2020 then, according to Usher, the Earth is now aged at 6,024 years old,.
A) Given that the Egyptian civilization arose approx. circa 3,500 - 4,000 B.C.E. then that would place them squarely in the time of the Biblical Great Flood when the ENTIRE planet was totally inundated to cover up ALL land masses, ergo, either these Egyptians had invented Scuba equipment to enable them to work and breathe completely underwater whilst building the Pyramids, etc, etc,
B) The Ancient Mesopotamians were also known as great builders as well, therefore they too must have been semi-aquatic peoples capable of breathing both air and water whilst they too were building their great monuments and cities,
C) Indigenous Australian Aboriginals have been scientifically proven to have wandered through Australia for approx. 40,000+ years, the Indigenous peoples of the Americas, North and South, have been there for at least 12,000+ years and yet NONE of their ancestors were drowned in this Great Flood,
D) Dinosaurs have been PROVEN to have walked this planet up to around 65 Million years ago before the K.T. Asteroid collision killed them off, so, and last but by no means least,
E) according to Usher and the Creationist the Flintstones is NOT a fictional cartoon series, it MUST be 100% factual, must it not?
Now, adding up the pros versus the cons, I'd say that IF we were using a scoring system, the score would something like Evolutionists - 4 x 10 to power of 100 to Creationists - 0 to the power 0 minus the multiple of 0 at a minimum.
Would you not agree, at least in part, with my hypothesis?

Hello McFly. Haven't you heard of Atlantis and their great culture that was pushed under the sea. Obviously they saved everybody else and that was the cost of their sacrifice. pfft! /sarcasm

Creationists are nuts. While scientists debate the evidence that backs up their assertions about the age of the earth in the billions of years, creationists pull some figure out of the Bible in the thousands with no corroborating evidence at all and claim victory because real scisntists don't agree on just how many billions of years old the earth is based on evidence. They do the same thing with evolutionary theory. Stephen Jay Gould and Niles Eldredge proposed a modification to Darwin's theory of gradual evolution known punctuated equilibrium. Creationist claimed it refuted the whole theory of evolution and proof evolution was false. It was just such a lie and a pervertion of what the truth of the matter was. Ridiculous behavior and a reprehensible misrepresentation of what the reality of the matter was.

Christians are divided into somewhere between 30,000 to 40,000 denominations that differ on their interpretations of The Bible. They don't agree on some of the most minor points, so checkmate religious nuts!

Aw, bless their little Bible god given brains!

Well, they just missed the boat for 12 to 13 billion years so how can they not claim victory?

"Science makes my brain hurt, so God did it!"

They grasp at any straw no matter how unrealistic.

Creationists always claim victory. They even try to tell me what I just said when I said nothing like they are posting to start with.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:522746
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.