Agnostic.com

40 13

I get the idea that people usually call themselves Agnostic out of fear that using the name Atheist will get them into social trouble anywhere on Earth.

grbosworth 4 Aug 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Except here .

I'm atheist but I think that's an erroneous assumption. Godbotherers see no difference between the two, so what would the difference in fear arise from?

I don’t know if a feeling is actually an accurate enough basis to draw any conclusions about anything. I think people respond to the particular circumstances of their own location and the prevailing views which the majority in that area hold. Here in the U.K. generally speaking nobody bats an eye or is even interested in what religion anyone is. Churchgoing is on the wane and a large number now identify as having no religious affiliation. Even here in Northern Ireland which is the most religious part of the U.K., I can openly use the term atheist, agnostic or non-believer, as I am all of these, with no fear, although frankly it rarely arises in everyday conversation.

Can't prove God. Can't prove that there is no God. No Knowledge. In Greek, agnostic.

MrDMC Level 7 Aug 10, 2020

I refer to myself as an atheist, because if I tell a religious person I am agnostic, then they think there is a chance they might convert me. They see agnostic as "on the fence" and an easy conversion.

Just labels

I think agnostics and atheists are treated the same by the religious everywhere. To them both are Godless sinners.

. . . I'm not sure. When asked "What church I go to", I have sometimes responded "The question presumes facts not in evidence". A typical reaction to that has been "Oh, so you are an atheist" -- jumping to conclusions. I now just say I'm atheist. 😛

As an atheist since age 13, being an atheist has not gotten me into trouble.

Christians who try to convert me get in trouble. I stoutly repel them.

Funny that. Such people see me as the Devil: too hot to handle.

You have to know your audience. Someone in the US deep south asks me and I'll simply say I'm not religious. Back home I'm a proudly godless heathen.

It's just a transitional period. My guess is that they are on the fence and will make the leap!

I am an Agnostic Atheist. I generally refer to myself as Atheist because it is usually clearer for the context. I rarely use the term Agnostic, as many people don't understand it. They usually think it is some form of fence sitting.

Welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your stay.

I'm completely out as an atheist.
I pretty much dare people to give me a hard time about it.

If someone doesn't like it, too bad for them.
Most of the time, the people who would attempt to bully a non-believer, don't when they sense they won't be able to get away with it.

Actually at the AHA conference recently on-line we were given evidence that the taboo rating of these words is declining and that excuse will no longer hold. See the evidence on another posting of mine in this site. Watch the You tube videos of the conference for a fuller explanation.

My only dislike of the word Atheist is that the label says so little about you by way getting other people to use it. Agnostic remains accurate until you decide which direction you will evolve your thoughts and it automatically applies to all who think scientifically.

Happy with either, usually call myself an atheist, but in theory I accept that you can never know anything with absolute certainty, so in principle will also accept agnostic for the sake of accurate definition.

But I also call myself a "broad Church sceptic" because I am prepared to respect anyones views, even deist, as long as they do not hold to any religious dogma. Since it is the dogma and the claim to knowledge of the God/gods views, which makes all the difference, since a god without any opinions, values or laws affects nothing.

People can call themselves anything they want but as the word "atheist" was coined by a Christian theologian to describe non Christians long before the word "theist" was used I dislike the label.
In my mind the belief in supernatural beings is illogical and irrational. particularly the Judeo Christian god who telepathically communicates with his followers.
I am fortunate to live in a secular country where I have several church going religious friends who know my feelings on religion so the subject does not arise.

I use various terms depending on with whom I'm conversing, and whether I want to ease in with softer language (agnostic) to further a discussion to meet in the middle, or stark language (atheist) to shut off the conversation.

Sometimes I use "humanistic" or "freethinker" or describe myself as "having more worldly religious views" to bring to their attention that if the goal of all religions is to create happy, healthy, harmonious interactions within their society, we all are free to choose what works best for us and our environment.

I tend to enjoy discussing religious spirituality with narrow minded folks who currently think their religion is the only/best one, but I think I might be able to pry a crack in their belief system to let in a little light from a wider perspective.

Most people lump Agnostics and Atheists in the same unbeliever category so I do not think this is true.Also I never tell anyone I am agnostic so getting into social trouble as you call it would never happen to me anyway.

I see that as an outcome of many people's habit of failing to use their brains.

One hospital receptionist took offense at my replying "atheist" to her when she asked me for my religion.

Labels, labels.

I originally used agnostic because I had never heard of the word "atheist" before. As a kid, I always had doubts and when I questioned my dad about it he defined those doubts as being agnostic and defined it as someone who was not sure about a god. I was lucky enough to have a dad who also told me that it was okay to not be sure because he sure as hell wasn't.

This worked for me until I heard the word "atheist" defined as "one who has no belief" as an adult. I realized that when I questioned as a child, I was questioning the word of adults whom I respected and loved (mom, aunts, uncles) and didn't want to admit to myself that they were simply wrong. I realized that other adults are wrong all the time and questioning their absolute knowledge was a healthy thing to do. This quickly turned my agnosticism to atheism as I realized that I could still love and respect those people and acknowledge that I disagreed with their belief.

I don't know, never liked the term agnostic but I was one in the short period during which I made up my mind. To agnostics I say "do you believe in the possibility that the easter bunny and tooth fairy are real?" I don't and there is no more evidence of god than there is the easter bunny.

I'm an Ignostic Episcopalian. Works for me.

See they like lies, but I'm an honest atheist.

I have no issue with being obnoxious towards God Mobsters who are first obnoxious towards me.

I did that for a few years. I mistakenly thought, similar to believers saying "I know there is a God", atheists say "I know there isn't a God" (only a few do). I say I lack a 'belief' in god(s) -- not the same thing. I'm about a 6 on Dawkins' 'theistic probability'.

[en.wikipedia.org]

I am a glutton for punishment and believe in my rights as an individual and I am not afraid to express it either, even though I don't go out of my way to start anything with the religiously lame I am not afraid to tell them that I am an atheist. I suppose that if they could they would burn me at the stake, and I would fight them every inch of the way, but, I would never give into them.
The people at work know all too well that I am an atheist and I've been called a devil worshiper and other assorted things and such, and they don't bother to talk to me about their superstitions or faiths, I have a hell of a reputation at work. And they all, even my bosses, leave me be. There is no fear here.

Not really, for some it's a genuine philosophical choice.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:523181
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.