Agnostic.com

16 7

We seem to have a sudden influx of pagans, hello, i wonder have you travelled through the humanist portal or has there been another door opened via an advertising campaign?

girlwithsmiles 8 Aug 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah, the portal opened, & there was trumpland.

What constitutes a pagan? πŸ€” Reformed druids are okay with OSB, wood grain formica and those vinyl inlays they used to put on the sides of station wagons. πŸ˜‰

@Gwendolyn2018 Yes, it's the ritual thing, I'll pass on that, if you enjoy it, by all means have fun and stay safe.

Pagans, Wiccans, Satanists,Trumplerites, we get em all.
It may be a form of therapy for them. They post something stupid to see what we make of it.
Well
, If it's too stupid, we can always block them.

The Satanic Temple is mostly comprised of Atheists, and they do NOT believe in Satan (other than him being a fable). I am an Atheist, but a (new) member of the Satanic Temple only because they are actively opposing christianity in our schools and government.

Also, their 7 Tenets make a lot of sense.

I do have to add, however, that I dislike their pictography

[thesatanictemple.com]

@AtheistInNC Cut the crap!

@Atheist3 Not sure what you mean by "cut the crap". Elaborate, please.

@AtheistInNC all sounds very reasonable, but the name is quite obviously designed to upset the status quo. That organisation is likely have more than its far share of tricksters I’d think?

@girlwithsmiles
Yes, I am certain the name was chosen to show mainstream that attempting to integrate religion into state functions has drawbacks. If you allow any christian church, you have to allow the Satanic Temple - which gives most christians the heebee jeebeez.

However, you cannot judge this book by the cover. The name was chosen to incite upset, but the dogma and actions are those who use facts, education and compassion to help those who christianity forces to do things against their personal convictions.

The organization does not have it's "fair share of tricksters". It appears that you, also, have judged before doing an in depth review of what they have accomplished and what their mission is. Look at their site, look at the news articles, don't assume that they are associated with ALL churches that worship "Satan".

Just like different religious sects (catholic, baptist, lutheran, etc.), this particular group states clearly that they do not even believe in satan, and they do not do any of the things you immediately associate with satanic groups because of what you have been told previously.

Here is the link again: [thesatanictemple.com]

And, in case you don't wish to leave this site or don't trust the link:

"The mission of The Satanic Temple is to encourage benevolence and empathy among all people, reject tyrannical authority, advocate practical common sense, oppose injustice, and undertake noble pursuits. The Satanic Temple has publicly confronted hate groups, fought for the abolition of corporal punishment in public schools, applied for equal representation when religious installations are placed on public property..."

SEVEN FUNDAMENTAL TENETS

1. One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.

2. The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.

3. One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.

4. The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.

5. Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.

6. People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.

7. Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.

@AtheistInNC i read the tenets, as that’s what you referred to. As much as i like humour, I’d rather support the humanists.
Of course it’s fun to play on people’s fears and insecurities sometimes, but offering a straight forward group that don’t put someone off with a name is more up my street.

Having liked heavy metal/ thrash music in my youth i have fond memories of the sarcasm and sensationalism involved with the images, legends and artwork at times. But I’m glad there’s a fraternity/ sisterhood of such folk, it’s good to make people question their preconceptions and think πŸ™‚

@AtheistInNC My mistake. Satanic theatre is one way to cut 'thru' the crap. Humanism is another.

@Atheist3 No mistakes were made; no blame to assess. To Mah to / To MAY to. πŸ™‚

Hadn't noticed

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 14, 2020

Just say no to woo.

Deb57 Level 8 Aug 14, 2020

Do we have more Pagans now?

I’ve noticed a few people that have made interesting comments recently that seemed newish and identified as such 😊

Do we? I had not noticed. Where are they hiding? I have not seen them out in the wild, in the public forum pages. hmm

A born skeptic, I scoffed at ridiculous Bible stories at age five. Never believed in an invisible god. Clearly the Bible is just a book of stories or fables written by men.

At age 13, I announced I was an atheist. "That's fine, honey," Mom said. "What do you want for dinner?"

I chose rational thinking, not magical beliefs.

What no magical mushrooms?
And there is something magical about being out in nature.

@CS60

No mind-altering drugs for me. I want clear eyes and a clear head.

Don't like alcohol. It dehydrates me and gives me a headache.

I like your answer, I also like your one response, tea always gave Pete puma a headache. 😁

@oldFloyd Bugs: "One lump or two?" Pete: "Oh, three or four..." Gotta love Bugs....

Are we all not here, so classified by the Faithfools, etc, as being Pagans, Heathens, Infidels, Hellspawn, etc, etc?
After all, "is Not the Enemy of my Enemy also my friend."

Lols, when i became a Justice of the Peace I affirmed instead of swore. Meaning I didn’t swear on the bible, (not having much respect for the contrary outdated old text.)

Being the only one in the group it was kind of interesting when we had to grab a lift to another part of the building as that’s when the magistrate asked if anyone was affirming, lols. When admitting it I said, β€˜So I’m the only Heathen then, in jest really, stoney faces all round! Who knows what they were thinking? Lols.

These Johnny-come-lately pagans should be identified for further classification and interrogatory determination. Surely it's tough enough maintaining agnosticism to abrahamism without the distraction of these additional burdens.

@allamanda has alluded below that they are likely atheo pagans, a new term to me, which means pagans that believe gods are more like legends. Sounds interesting to me. Fabulous clip by the way 😊
With a monika like yours sounds like something you’d appreciate πŸ˜‰

Thanx for the Paganini clip.

I'm making popcorn to watch, I tend to get along with both pagans and agnostic/atheist even though the pagans have better action comic stories I'm philosophically far more aligned with hard atheism, sorry I just believe absence of evidence is evidence of absence regardless of Matt Dillahunty's opinion.

We blew in on our broomsticks bearing mead. Lets gather before the bonfire, raise a glass, and chat. Or just stare at the flames

CS60 Level 7 Aug 13, 2020

Sounds good to me! I’ll bring some sloe gin πŸ˜‰

@girlwithsmiles Couldn't you get the faster acting stuff?

The only Pagan I've ever known played for the San Francisco Giants. He was an outfielder named Angel Pagan, who usually played center field. One very special season (2012) we also had an outfielder named Justin Christian. It was amusing to see the lineup and with both names, sometimes next to each other. Come to think of it, the Giants actually won a World Series with an Angel, who happened to be a Pagan, and a Christian in the outfield! πŸ˜‰

Really? Wow, well i thought it was too good to be true, apologies, here’s the line up that year: [baseball-reference.com]

@girlwithsmiles Wow! Great resource! Thanks! Good to meet a true baseball officiando ... play ball!

The few Pagans I've met , were kind and gentlefolks , who enjoyed having a good time . while also collecting blankets to hand out to the homeless , collecting toys for the Toys for Tots campaign , and supporting other charitable organizations .

The pagans I’ve met were varied, as most cross sections of life are. But as I’ve said before I’ve always like some of their ideas, the first do no harm that some live by, i can totally get on with.

I've noticed an influx of new members, but I haven't been left with an impression of any particular type.

I had noticed a sudden influx of scammers as well. I think that's because raven's been on a break.

Scammers are usually worse than pagans - except for the white nationalist pagan groups.

@Beowulfsfriend a but of a toss up perhaps. They're both trying to sell you an illusion and defraud you out of your money.😁

@Cyklone when I think of pagans, I like to remember MASH when Hawkeye said he was a reformed Druid, he prayed to bushes. Maybe someone will request a "shrubbery."

@Beowulfsfriend Sounds like pagan guano! πŸ˜›

@Fred_Snerd Loved that show. πŸ™‚

@Beowulfsfriend well that just makes me think of Monty Python’s Holy Grail. Missed that episode of Mash, but Hawkeye was definitely my favourite character πŸ™‚

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:524342
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.