Agnostic.com

23 21

Some of you may think I’m “nutty”, but I thought I’d share this here anyways for those that love animals as much as I do. I follow an account on Instagram, @amandastronza, that removes dead animals from the road, etc. & relocates then to a place where they can rest in peace. Today I saw this little critter on my way home, just a little ways down the road from my apartment. I knew what I had to do. I got home, put on my gloves and walked down the sidewalk until I reached where this squirrel lay in the road. Living in Oklahoma, I’m sure it was odd for passerby’s to see a young woman walking down the side of the road in a bucket hat and flip flops, lifeless squirrel in hand, but not too unusual around these parts. I really hope nobody thought I had plans to eat it.. I carried them past a few of the homes around here until I finally reached a point where I thought they would have some more peace. Here, I covered them with fresh leaves to symbolize a new life. The squirrels after life, whatever that may be like, (most of you know I believe in the possibility of reincarnation), and my oath to remember from now on that every life has a purpose just as big as you and I’s. This little critter did not die in vain. 🍃🐿 I hope this can bring you all some peace today as it did me 💚

1EarthLovingGal 7 Oct 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You have a loving heart! I have always done this myself when I see animals that have been hit by cars here in Texas. I also stop when I see a turtle trying to cross and get it to the other side. It’s not difficult to show compassion for all creatures on our planet. I wish more people would care.😘

I bet loads of us do 🙂

I do that too, and I was just thinking of all the gopher turtles in Florida during mating season - all over the sides of the road. I think quite a lot of people do stop and help. Hard is when this happens on a highway.

@Zoohome I live just outside of Houston in a town called Richmond, and there are a lot of rural areas. I have at least six times this year pulled over to the side of the road when I saw a turtle in the middle of the road, with cars hitting it, and walked out there when the cars slow down and picked it up and took it over to the side of the road. I’ve had a lot of people give me thumbs up for doing this but there are always the jackasses who scream at you out the window. Such is life.

@Redheadedgammy sad! Everytime I move,
I always find the wildlife rescue near by me for future encounters. 🤗

@1EarthLovingGal thankfully my flaming red hair makes them notice me.😉 I will always stop to help an animal.

Had a "Goodyear"!!

THE NAME THAT'S KNOWN IS FIRE STONE where the rubber meets the roadKILL

Found a large Mantis (as in, praying) in the middle of some public stairs today; no doubt it would soon have been crushed like a dry leaf.. With gloves on, I took it to safety … as it used it’s substantial mandibles attempting to bite me!

Safe on a bush, it recoiled back, as if it were praying. I breathed on it, to let it know ‘a human’ had saved it, and it relaxed. Felt good 🙂

Varn Level 8 Oct 9, 2020

@Gwendolyn2018 So, dead? The last dead animal I dealt with I’d shot. Had been watching for it all summer, as it was burrowing under a neighbor’s shed, then his rear deck, he asked that I kill it. Decided long ago, I don’t like to take life from anything, but it was our homes, or it.

We’ve lots of vultures, and skunks. I bucket off such varmints to a place where the scavengers have uninterrupted access. I’ve said ‘I’m sorry,’ before, but realize that’s only a reminder to myself that I’m not a wanton killer.. Better?

So many animals eat carrion...why deprive them of a meal?

Around here the Highway Dept removes & cremates them. I believe a lot of states do this.

"tired" animals 🙂

[tiredanimals.com]

@FearlessFly interesting, thanks. In the UK the Council will often clear them, but we gave special people to contact about livestock or some wildlife.
[wildlifetrusts.org]

Those leaves were innocent man...

Mvtt Level 7 Oct 9, 2020

Sanity ain't all it is cracked up to be....

I remove the carcasses lest scavengers also succumb to the roadsters. I also help turtles cross the road. Opossums have babies in their pouch. Then there are the parentless ducklings. Keep it up people.

Reminds me of a joke. On the East Coast when you are driving along the roadway, there are always rest stops that you can pull into and order a fast meal. On the West coast, you rarely see them. Why is that?
Because on the West Coast, there are vultures to take care of the road kill.

Well done. I think you made the world just a bit of a nicer place by doing this.

I often remove dead animals from the road if safe. I even buried a squirrel once because it was such a sad thing.

I always hope that crows will scavenge urban road kill, but I'm not sure they are able to take advantage of it very often.

Proud of your compassionate thoughts @nicestuff

On the very rare occasion I wind up with a biological speed bump in front of my house I pick it up and bury it also. If it brings you contentment all well and good. 😊

Nothing bothers me more than driving down the highway and seeing a dead animal that might have been run over a thousand times. Even if it is deer size you often do not know if it is a deer or a dead dog. If reincarnation is real this dead animals must come back to gain revenge. Also, if you are reincarnated it must mean you were incarnated at least once before.

No worse than the somewhat overweight woman removing her shirt in the middle of the night after blocking the only road out of the cinema I had been at, while picking up a dead possum and detaching her baby from her. The shirt was to wrap the baby in so he/she was comfy on the way home and not running freaking out in my car. They also had to wait until I had placed her safely away from the road while telling her I would look after her baby, and trying to convince the baby that he/she needed to let go. A few cars beeped me I stopped and stared at them while cuddling the baby. They stayed quiet after that. Good thing I wore a good bra to the cinema that night. I have stopped in traffic to help animals many times people can just learn to go around me or wait.

@1EarthLovingGal I have developed my armour class to deal with these people. My aunt lived next door to some people who were neglecting their cats and the cats kittens we had some come to her place so I scooped them up and we took them to the RSPCA. Then there were two little kittens on the balcony, I threw up some food and when they launched at each other to get to it, I lost it and climbed over gates to get up to the balcony, picked up the kittens and turned to the glass sliding doors (I did not know if the person was home) my aunt nearly had a heart attack but had someone come out I think I would have kicked them back inside as I verbally launched at them for their treatment of the kittens. We called the RSPCA who came to collect them (after we had filled them up with cat food and they fell asleep) they caught one of the other cats and issued an infringement notice on the owners. Freaking awesome.

Move it to the nearest anthill for quickest decomposition.

That's sweet, but where I live, it'd be a full-time job!

You're awesome💚

Ahh the pungent effervessence
Of floppy flippers fried
And steaming on hot asphalt
In hundred degree heat
Putrescent possum
Reeking raccoon
Stinking squirrel
None for me
No thanks!

in many states like Kansas, Arkansas, etc. people eat roadkill, why?

I once (no chance to miss it) 'shot' a deer with my Ford. 😮 😛
Paid $5 for an out-of-season tag to keep it -- tasty. 🙂

@FearlessFly I got a 14-point buck with a "bow" tie on my 91 Chevy, let the family whose house it was in front of keep it they wanted it. 😉

Tradition.

May I ask where the thought 'every life has a purpose' came from?

@1EarthLovingGal I wasn't really hinting at Bible stuff. I was just questioning the meaning of purpose. It seems at least cosmic or indicative of intention. For instance, if we look at the purpose of an infant that dies of SIDS, would that purpose be the lasting effect it had on the parents? To suggest as much speaks to a sort of intention, rather than simply cause and effect of complete accidents.

. . . you can feel it in your olfactory 😮

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:542038
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.