Agnostic.com

27 6

How to possibly tell your parents that you do not follow there religious beliefs?

If anyone out there can hopefully help me with this, I was wondering how you might tell your parents that you are agnostic, not Christian. I tried to say I differ from their religion before by saying I don't care about a god but my mother told me, "oh honey believe me, you care, you're just confused." Any help? Please?

Hollow 4 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hollow, if it's too hard to just out it all at once, then don't. Grow into who you are naturally, learn to live your life and embrace yourself as you are. Doing these things will give you the strength to walk your walk and talk your talk...in time. And once you are confident in yourself, you won't need affirmation from anyone, not even your own parents. Hugs to you Hollow. Glad you are here.

Just so you know, my dad was singular but in the reverse. He was a flaming Atheist and my mom a cultural Jew. If I ever came home and told them I'd found religion (I never did btw, it's not in me), my dad would be characteristically disgusted and spew forth his favorite term 'BULLSHIT!'.

When parents close the door to their own child's growth, it's hurtful but you can be respectful and grow anyway, even apart from them if you have to.

Thank you all for your answers, glad to have found this community

Hollow, keep us posted on how you're doing. It's tough being young and definitely SLOWLY life gets easier as you age...there's something nice about 20/20 hindsight. Hugs and look forward to hearing more from you

Like several other commenters, I'd highly recommend you wait a bit. Probably at least wait until you've left their home for college or your first job.

Meanwhile, do what you can to still learn about her form of Christian religion at the same time as expanding your knowledge of other religions and, of course, the wonderful variety of systems of non-belief. If she requires it, you can still be a perfectly good non-theist and go to church. Best advice I heard on that line was to treat going to church like a zoo or a museum; you don't have to love the experience, but you can still learn more about people's wild ideas in their natural habitat. 😉

But at the same time, do as much as possible to expand your social group to include more people who don't believe. For now, skip the ones who are angsty or actively rebelious about religion (I had several acquaintences like that in HS and they weren't worth hanging around as people irrespective of their irreligious stance), and find the ones who are thoughtful, moral, have a sense of earthly purpose, and actively pursue life goals.

Also, be empathetic for your mom's emotional state, and keep in mind how difficult a situation religious parents face when their children leave. Religion tells people that to leave it is to betray g-d and the group. So, a parent can feel that their child has betrayed them. Religion tells parents that it is their job to keep their child in the religion. So, a parent often feals like a failure when their child leaves. Religion also slanders the irreligious as immoral, even dangerous. So, a parent will often fear for their child's safety outside of the walls of the religious institutions. All of these (and more) terrible emotional baggages could be lingering in your mother's mind, and it can take time for her to deal with them.

Show your mother love, success in your efforts, and good behavor in you general life-style, and religious fears that she may have can be undercut by your true behavior.

Also, I'd recommend finding a good therapist, or at least a trustworthy school counselor, to help you deal with the very challenging mental and emotional issues that often accompany a change of worldview and the facade that you may have around other people to protect yourself during this time.

Do you really need to tell them? Maybe they haven't accepted that you're at an age where you're thinking for yourself and finding your own path in life. Eventually they will have to accept that - unless you need to force the issue, time will probably do the job for you.

I just told my family I became an atheist. Some don't talk to me now. Some family do talk to me now.

There is no way to talk rationally with those who do not acknowledge logic and reasoning.

I checked your profile and did see that you are still in H.S.
I will have to admit, that I pretty much knew I was an Atheist before I even knew the word for it at a very young age.
I also knew I had to "fake it", for any lack of a better word, as my mother was of a very extreme nature on the subject.
You know your parents better than anyone. But you may need to get to the point self sufficiency first before you speak t them.
You are still in school and I admire your will, but there have been kids kicked onto the streets for things like this.
A strong will is priceless and something cherished, but it also so worthless it won't buy you a sandwich or a place out of the rain.

This can wait until you have found a place of your own.

Until then. Seek out places and people like this.

good answer

I believe it went like this for me, after it was brought up one day:

"Oh, (lol) I'm an atheist."

I was out of school and supporting myself, though, before I had that discussion with my parents.

Why bring it up at all? If they choose to think you are confused, they obviously don't wish to try and argue you "out of it". You have not been asked to convert them either. Mutual respect & keeping your mouth shut will go a long way here...atheists are Not mormon missionaries!

Don't worry, it is bound to happen one way or another

Being in touch with your feelings is a personal thing that should be kept to yourself until you are able to sort out what and why. Telling someone is destroying the beauty of your own conclusions and other related feelings which are sometimes in the future. Leaving it in a safe place where no one knows where it is will not hurt anyone and you can go and pick it up anytime you want for as long as you want and place it back for another day without anyone knowing.

I ws told a long time ago in a therapy session that you only need one more no than the other psersons yes'es. I suppose to it all depends how much your mother would be really upset if you left the faith - Would you still be her son etc. Ou could write her a letter to say Mum I love you and always will and I don't share your beliefs and I am happy with my life and happy that yoyure happy with yours. The written word lasts longer and is also a gift written down on paper.It means you made the effort to reach out to her.

Some times they just never except it. My parents know how I feel but always tell me that it just a phase or God will bring me back in time. I figure if it keeps them happy, I just don't care.

My parents passed away in 2008 and I didn't fully decide to dump all Christianity until last year, when I read the Sumerian texts.

I can only suggest you state your stance calmly and firmly, and keep repeating it every time your mother tries to tell you how you "really" feel. Keep it up until she gives up.

Another tactic that works well, and can be used concurrently, is to look at her and pay attention to her only when she is respecting you. If she starts to upbraid or tell you you're mistaken, quietly state your position, then look at your watch and say something like, "Look at the time! Love you! Gotta go!" And then LEAVE.

Only smile, look at her, and show postive response if she is being kind and accepting toward you. Otherwise, you're distracted and busy.

This will work within two weeks, tops. I once trained my parents to stop accusing my kids every time we came over, by doing this. It only took a few times before my mom started shushing my dad whenever he started in.

Yeah - avoid having the conversation it's as simple as that.

I met with the mormon missionaries on my local campus. My mom freaked out about that so much that everything else I did was a relief.

When I was 13 years old, I went through a "hot topic" phase... I was visiting Dayton Ohio at the time where all of my family resides .. my father's side of the family is Very religious and I thought it would be funny at the time to fuck with them and talk to them about satanism (although I didnt actually believe in satanism) it was just fun (at the time) to fuck with them.... well apparently it Really pissed them off and they actually disowned me. Lmfao. They told me I wasn't welcome to their house anymore and told me to never come back unless I welcomed jesus into my heart or some stupid ass shit... so... that was a fun experience at 13 years old.... it definitely impacted me at how ridiculous religion was... my mother was so mad at me though lol but I'm glad that happened because my dad's side of the family wanted me to go to jesus camp LMFAO NO THANK YOU

rejection's pretty tough to handle. Were you really LMFAO?

@crazycurlz oh yes. fuck them. i am better off without them. to this day, i haven't spoke to them. they don't deserve to get to know their granddaughter/daughter. they can eat a dick.

@crazycurlz and it is much more funnier now than it was back then, but i still laughed regardless. It's so petty but it taught me that my "family" are really just strangers... I have made friends who I consider family and I have my wonderful mother who is my best friend and that's all I need. 🙂

@M3G4N666 just checking on you. glad you found your own unique way through. 🙂

Street Epistomology
Don't tell them why you are not Christian, instead ask them what compells them to be one.
If you do this well enough a few times they will figure it out

My folks made me go to church as a kid. I didn't buy it from an early age. I just told my mom I thought it was idiotic. She was upset but we agreed that I would go until I made my confirmation but after that, adios. I have not been back to church except for weddings and funerals since. My mom still shakes her head when I mention something about my atheism ?

I wrote a letter to them tha told them that I was both gay and an atheist. Of course that was in the early 1980's before email.

cliffhanger, snytiger6...how did your folks respond respond? 😉

@crazycurlz They were silent for a few weeks, an dthen wrote me back syign i was mistaken and tht they burned the letter i wrote them. I ttook a while for them to come to terms with the situation.

I am told that when my oldest brother came otu as an atheist, my dad didn't speak to him for almost a year... even though they lived in the same house at the time. My brother statee his atheism at 16, but I waited until i was 23 and out on my own.

After about ten years or so when it was obvious things would nto change, my parents asked me to write a letter to the Mormon church requesting to have my name removed from the records (basically an excommunication by request). I had no problem with that. I was tired or them coming to my door tryign to get me to go back to church anyways. It was annying.

I originally thought I might mat and freame the letter of excommunication next to my baptismal certificate and hang it ont he wall, but I decided I really don't want such a prominent reminder of my miserable childhood hanging on my wall.

@snytiger6 those are significant challenges. That was the 1980s...how tough was it to find your own way? Do you feel at ease now (with your folks/on your own?). Answer only what you're comfortable with. I've had a lot of challenges, too. I like sharing AND checking in with others to see how things are going.

@crazycurlz I've never been close to my parents even as a kid. However, they would be there for me, even if reluctantly.

Religion (and also politics) were two subjects in which none of us kids (I am the youngest of six) could ever question.

Basically, as children we were nto allowed to express ourselves in any way tht did not fall into our parents rigid viewpoints. So, for me, it meant just goign through the motions of wha tmy parents wanted until i was old enough to get free.

The only real abuse was psychological, but that wasn't intentional. My parents simply did not have any clue about how to let kids be themselves and help them find their own way.

They di dthe best they could, but really had poor parenting skills.

@snytiger6 you found a balanced, generous view through challenging circumstances. Thanks for sharing.

Mum I am confused at this point of time when I understand religion I will consider it back for the time being I am free of religion

Rosh Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

All atheists so not an issue

I denounced my belief in god at 16. Its obvious you have a good healthy relationship with your mom. I didn't. Try to sit down and talk to your mom. Good luck.

Family stuff can sometimes be like politics, using diplomacy is the best way to avoid unnecessary conflicts, especially that the subjects of faith cannot be discussed with reason, that would be ironically paradoxal ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55100
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.