Agnostic.com

41 13

What, me worry?

For those in my age bracket, you may know who said this. I have for a decade or more, made this my life goal. I just made up my mind that worry was a waste of time, and stopped. I figure if it's something I can control, I will do my best to achieve a good outcome. If it is something I can't control, then worrying about it won't change the outcome and I will deal with the results. To worry is just to waste energy for no reason, kind of like praying.
Do other non believers feel this way, or is this just something I have figured out myself?

Barnie2years 8 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sounds pretty normal to me.
Why burn calories thinking about things that you can’t influence? Save your energy for the things you can actually do.
Like the people who tweet “thoughts and prayers” after every tragedy. Why not donate some money, or blood, or volunteer?

Well, you don't sound "Mad." (Couldn't resist.) After I died my attitude towards daily worries changed completely, as existential events have a habit of doing. We don't have the time to fret over transient bullshit. We just don't.

I am in the No Worry, No Fret camp as well. Mad Magazine's Afred E. Neuman said:" Getting old is when a narrow waist and a broad mind change places!"

Alfred E. Newman said "What me worry?" He was on the cover of "Mad" magazine. It's a great motto to live by.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 12, 2018

I loved that magazine. It is really nothing of what it once was. Great satire and artists.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.”

― Keith Caserta, Soul Searching

Since I think too much every day, my thoughts just ruminate and turn into unnecessary worry. The next day everything is fine and I worried for no reason. I should start practicing this. Thanks.

It works for me.

I still have concerns about the health and wellbeing of friends, relatives and my cat. I think that's called caring, and I'm fine with it.

If it was just me, I'd agree with you. I do worry about what I need to do for the people who rely on me. I guess responsibility can cause worry, or at least be identified as a cause. I try to not do it. Good for you that you've figured out how to let it go. I'm working on it.

Left worry behind sometime ago. It does absolutely no good.

"What, me worry?"
Alfred E. Newman. (sp?)

Yes indeedy..since beating cancer I'm in the same place.

Perfect example! You survived, enjoy where you are and take care of yourself, don't waste time worrying about what might or might not come next.

@Barnie2years yas siree Bob..
Damn just gave my age away..fuuuuck..lol

Worry is another word for concern. when I am faced with an issue, I take whatever steps I can to solve and/or fix it, and when it goes beyond what I can do anything about, I just let it be and put it out of my mind, indeed it is a waste of time and energy to let it consume you at THAT point !

Alfred E. Neuman

You beat me to it lol

@ipdg77 thank you I was just about to get a mind worm about this one !

It's not about controlling, it's not about pushing away, it's about taking the punch and wave it away, it's about to experience, it's about to learn to respond, not to react like a true zen, it's about to choose not to be harmed, not to feel harmed like a stoic, it's about being the mirror which doesn't absorb, but only reflects.

Nice for those who can do it. There are a lot of things in this world to fear and, try as one might, those fears don't always go away just because one wants them to, no matter how hard one tries.

I don't necessarily equate worry and fear. I fear roller coasters, I don't worry about them, I just don't go on them. I don't fear dying, but I don't go out of my way to make it happen. You can fear something (a tornado, lightening) without worrying about it, hiding in your bathroom when the storm is a hundred miles away. I fear having a stroke, but I don't spend time worrying about it. I take meds for my heart and monitor my blood pressure from time to time, but I don't let it stop me from eating what I like or doing the things I like to do.

There is a difference between worrying and keeping your "plan" evergreen -- specifically, the poltical tenor of the times -- if things continue to disintegrate, it would be wise to have an exit plan in the pocket. Consider the plight of the Jews of Germany after Hitler came to power - those that had a plan and left early survived, the others became names on pieces of paper at the Holocaust museum. We aren't there yet... but ....

History doesn't repeat - but it does rhyme -- and I don't like how the meter and syntax are going together!

Maybe dial the worry back a bit to concern?

Concern is an inquiry to discover the issue, before attempting to deal with it. Worry is trying to figure out what could go wrong before you know the facts, then coming up with solutions for a problem that may not even exist. I had a coworker would make herself sick and lose a night's sleep worrying about a forecast of snow the next day (we were bus drivers) and then wake up to no snow or just a fury. Wasted a night of sleep for nothing. Bing concerned, she would have woke up a little early to clean off her car and got a good night sleep.

@Barnie2years My point exactly.

A great philosophy to live by! “He suffers more than necessary, who suffers before it is necessary”

– Seneca

I think manageable worry is good for you. Anxiety at low levels is good for motivation and heightens that completion feeling. Suppressing emotion is almost always bad, and not feeling emotion is psychopathy. But I think you mean managing anxiety, right? I only have anxiety when the problems aren't mine....I am a caretaker for my mom, and it stresses me the hell out....I can handle it when I am getting screwed over....I am great at finding ways around situations...I never leave myself only one door to open...but when it is someone else that I am responsible for...ARGH! ALFRED E. NEUMAN FOR PRESIDENT!

No, I absolutely mean worry. I was concerned that my mom lived in Floida by herself. I pushed her to come to Lanaster where she has family. She fought it for a while. I didn't worry about her, it was her decision. When she was ready, she came up. Worrying would not have gotten her here sooner.

@Barnie2years If you weren't worried, then why did you care if she moved to Lanaster? I think worry is the result of caring. So if you don't care, you don't worry. I think people who don't worry at all are emotionally stunted. As I said, there is a difference between not worrying and managing anxiety. I have very little anxiety about myself. But I am in a situation where my mother not having enough money for her medical care can and could kill her. So my anxiety level is elevated by the jeopardy, but moderated by my ability to handle severe situations. But I cannot deny that I worry. I just don't let it rule my actions. But psychopaths need love too...wait...no they don't....hehe

For me it isn't quite that simple. It isn't always easy to control my thoughts, they seem to develop a life of their own, especially when the light are out. When I was in a situation of insecurities (financial/job/housing/etc) then the thoughts were very out of control. There is somewhat less insecurity now, but still don't necessarily have a peaceful mind. I have noticed when I use an herbal supplement that I will still have the thoughts, but they don't seem to linger as long and fewer upsetting thoughts hang around and more amusing or benign thoughts pop in for a few moments. You're lucky if you can turn it off.

Alfred E, I think a number of us have strived to reach this worry-free zone.

Sounds like a good way to sleep well!

S9me people's personality is such that they are chronic worriers -- including some otherwise bright people. That is not me. If I sense a problem, I try to figure out what I can do about it and I act. I don't dwell on things which I annot influence.

It is hard to be in the present when you are worrying about the future. 🙂

Worry often enough interrupt actions leading to results.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56382
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.