Agnostic.com

54 7

Does anyone not secretly hope that there is a god and that we can spend eternity in heaven with our loved ones?

waitingforgodo 8 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

54 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Spend an eternity with that genocidal maniac with catastrophic anger management issues and even worse issues of personal insecurity known as the God of the Bible? No Way, Jose!

I am Pagan. So I do believe in afterlife. We Pagans don’t see it as the Abrahamics do - ie. We don’t really see it as “Heaven” or sitting around on a cloud doing nothing. We see it more as maybe reincarnation in another place (not here on earth necessarily and not as an animal). We see heaven as a “higher plain”.
I personally don’t wanna spend eternity with all of my family. I wouldn’t mind seeing my Father again because he was a very fun person.

Ugh! Not me. I'd rather not be beholden to an overlord for eternity.
Does there have to be a god? Why not just an afterlife.
I like Ray Kurzweil's prediction that our technology will advance enough to simulate out brains and we will exist in a virtual afterlife of simulated ideal worlds of our own making.

Now that's an afterlife I can get behind.

I once heard about a Greek afterlife which was merely a merging of souls in the atmosphere. That appealed to me but the Christian heaven really never has. Like another poster,I don't want to spend eternity singing in the praises of the thing. Besides I can't carry a tune.

Nope, never. Loved ones I’ve lost live on in my memories ....that’s enough for me...

No, just no.

It would have to be Spinoza's god. And no I don't think I would want to live forever, even in heaven.

It’s a nice idea but I don’t hope for it because I don’t think it’s realistic, or even what the Bible stories are about. Literal interpretations are a modern invention.

skado Level 9 Feb 5, 2021

Never give it a seconds thought. Ever.

The thought of living an eternity with those idiot evangelicals along with the God who said it is okay to be that way is nauseating.

What if those aren’t the people who make it to heaven? What if God is smarter than that?

@skado It's still a big NO.

What is one person's heaven is another person's hell. Even if there was a heaven/hell, that would be pretty hard (in my opinion) to figure our where people would go. But then again, I do not believe in heaven/hell so I don't have to worry about it.

You're thinking of hell, right?

Nope.

We would not be human if we did not give it some thought and as humans we prefer not go round shouting about it.

Giving it a thought ,is not the same as having a "Secret hope."

@BirdMan1 Doesnt matter what you think or what you call that thought. The vast majority of thoughts are hope at least if you are sane. What matters is what actions you take after having reached a conclusion.

heaven?....endless pastrami snndwiches, with a dill pickle quarter slice, side of potato salad, and dr brown's creme soda with no ice. crock mustard on the table....maybe an occasional corn beef sandwich and cel ray tonic for variety....... and all the pussy i want, and whenever....and nice pussy. ........ nice. ........not like on this fucked up planet. in fact, i want to try a whole nuther planet. not even in this galaxy. and no npr.

no npr lol

Lol no. That's just stupid.

NO! Not at all.

Be brave. Say you secretly hope that and tell your reason. Then ask for others’ view.

that would be cool i guess huh
unfortunately i guess when you examine it, it falls apart pretty quickly, i mean is Hitler there too?

so--although it takes a minute to get from a to b--remember when you looked in a mirror and did not recognize your "self?" Prolly not, right, but the point is that your "self" is a construct, that you assembled, that only you, not even your mom, would recognize by description. You made it up.

You can choose your friends & your wife, you can choose to keep your enemies close at hand but you can't choose your family, life after death, heaven or hell.

No use even thinking about. It will either be like before you were born, or going to sleep and never waking up again IMHO.

omg, someone with an actual opinion lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:574491
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.