Agnostic.com

15 18

Karen, my favorite hiking partner, had a huge shock.

I'm reeling and heartsick. Poor Karen! She called me this morning:

"I was visiting my daughter and grandson in Yakima," Karen said. "When I got home to Wenatchee, I found Jeff (her husband) dead in bed. Apparently he had a heart attack." Jeff, 65, was a medical doctor.

"How can I help you?" I asked Karen after offering condolences. "In a week, I want to go on walks with you," Karen said. "My house is full of relatives and neighbors. There are four dogs and 10 people."

Karen is too kind to tell neighbors to leave. I hope her daughter does.

The good news is both houses are paid off. One house on Lake Joy in rainy Western Washington. Karen doesn't want to live there. Too much rain! Their main house in sunny Wenatchee has a spectacular view of the Enchantments and Cascade Mountains.

Jeff was a saver and refused to have debt. They bought property in Methow Valley, WA to build a small house for cross-country skiing, Jeff's passion.

Karen won't have to worry about money. That's a relief.

I'm going to listen and support her.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wish her a swift healing.

My condolences To Karen and her Family ,,A better friend she could not have then you for her emotional support ,Hiking in nature next week will be really good therapy for her and you both to deal with the situation,Sending warm healing hugs love and gratitude at a time like this

She has got a good friend in you and vise versa.

I am sorry to hear about Karen's husband. Through your stories I feel like I know both you and Karen.

My condolences to your friend, her families and yourself as well.

Very kind & considerate; friendship is a valued treasure😊🪔

You're a wonderful friend, LiterateHiker. May you be rewarded with the same compassion you have toward your friends.

@BestWithoutGods

Thank you so much.

Good for you to support her best you can. She knows when she will need a hiking break

I am so sorry, my condolences to Karen.

Condolences.
May his memory be a blessing

CS60 Level 7 Feb 15, 2021

My condolences to Karen. I'm sure this was quite a shock. It's good that she doesn't need money and all is paid for. If it is not too spooky to her she might continue living in the house. Some people don't do that if someone died there, especially a spouse. I'm a person who would not be bothered by it myself.

Condolences to her and her family.

so sorry for her, and your, loss. Thankfully, she's going to be taken care of. 😟

Condolences to Karen.
I am glad to read that there are other folks, like Karen's late Husband, who knows the value of "living within our means".
Here's wishing Karen many years to reflect on the good years she had with your late Husband!

Condolences.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:576628
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.