Agnostic.com

21 2

Can someone tell our purpose of existing on this earth?

DennisPurvis3 3 June 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

mostly breathing. sometimes pizza.

You won the lottery.
A child is conceived 1 out of every 750 times a couple has sex.
100,000,000 sperm are trying to fertilize the egg. You come from the sperm that won.
You beat odds of 75,000,000,000 to 1 just to exist.
Enjoy the life you are fortunate to have.

BD66 Level 8 June 27, 2021

Some thought is the egg that got fertilize is you. So the odds of you being here may be one in 750, part of your genetic makeup determine by the sperm that fertilized "you".

Several answers depending on point of view and expected response to satisfy the question.

1. We exist on Earth because we are not martians on mars.

Purpose defined as the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists.
2. The reason you exist is because of what your parents did.

Unless, you think you asked to exist, it was all about the non-existent flying spaghetti monster sky God that did not want you to remain in non-existance with the non-existent flying spaghetti monster sky God. So, the purpose of existance is so that you are not non-existent. The sooner we can get everything back to non-existance with the non-existent flying spaghetti monster sky God, the sooner we will no longer have to worry about existence.

Word Level 8 June 27, 2021

One of your best Word.

"So, the purpose of existance is so that you are not non-existent." This sounds motivational. There is more to the purpose too, I think, we just don't get to know it during our time on earth, or not all of it. I think your statement is certainly true.

Tiger food.

skado Level 9 June 26, 2021

And mountain lion.

Bacteria need to eat too.

That is entirely up to you….we have the power within us to give meaning and purpose to our own lives. Make the most of that power and don’t give it up to someone else to decide for you.

The species supposedly all balance each other to make a cohesive system. Unfortunately, mankind has outgrown its original “place” and is ruining the planet by making an artificial imbalance in the ecosystem. So NOW, we could DECIDE to save the planet, but we likely will do nothing and ensure our extinction…and consequently nature will “reset” without us.

Personally, I get the greatest reward from doing work that helps other people. This includes volunteer work.

Since 2006 as a volunteer, I have been helping first generation students (children of immigrants) write essays for college and scholarship applications. One of my best success stories is Brenda, who won $269,445 in scholarships in 2016.

I want to leave the environment cleaner than I found it by cleaning up litter.

Becoming a better person: working on listening more and being less judgmental.

Purpose is an illusion.
Civilizations fall when to many are burdened with glorious purpose.

Human existence has no inherent purpose. It came into being as a chance occurrence. In terms of the universe, we are a miniscule transitory blip on the radar screen of reality. ,

[merriam-webster.com]

This implies (by definitition) that our very existance was intended. So....
Go ask your parents if you were a planned baby. If not, you have no purpose. If so, your "purpose" had nothing to do with the random egg/sperm combo that resulted, and in any case, your hypothetical purpose, at best, is past tense.

Having said that, YOU can give your life meaning, just not purpose, technically speaking. If you are asking US to tell you, you are on the wrong path.

Cheers!

Nope

bobwjr Level 10 June 27, 2021

Too much honesty can get you into deep s##t.

What is purpose?

That's something christians need.

I spent many years asking this question until I finally realized that to do so was a psychological vestige of my days as a believer, living in a universe that was ‘made just for us.’ Such egocentric hubris! Why must there be a purpose in the first place? The very question admits of a narcissism that we self absorbed Homo sapiens have yet to outgrow. I’m reminded of a song by my favorite band:

Why are we here?
Because we're here
Roll the bones
Roll the bones
Why does it happen?
Because it happens
Roll the bones
Roll the bones
—Rush

There's not going to be any collective answer to that since we didn't all get together and decide what our purpose was. So it's going to be individual and therefore there's as many purposes as there are people. An outside observer might think it's to see how fast we can destroy the planet

lerlo Level 8 June 27, 2021

Nope, I'm pretty sure that there is no purpose. And that's just fine with me.

Sure. I got it all figured out. We are here to look around, enjoy ourselves and try to not fuck up the planet.

At which we are failing miserably.

I think there’s more to that 😆

To that last point, we are failing miserably.

Cosmically speaking, there is no purpose. The universe does not care whether there is an earth, or that there is life on it.
Evolutionarily speaking, here on earth, where life as we know it evolved, the purpose is to live long enough to procreate.

Joanne Level 7 June 27, 2021

Camus

RCRX87 Level 4 June 27, 2021

You make your own purpose for being here. You got here because you had parents.

There is none.

barjoe Level 9 June 27, 2021

I'm pretty sure my purpose is to annoy as many people on the right as I can regardless of race, nationality, or religion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:605695
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.