Agnostic.com

25 42

Today, I allowed myself to be engaged in conversation by a Christian. It started out with some casual words on fabric and age but as she like my personality (I know, hard to believe), she HAD to mention how her life revolved around her religion—and she expected me to agree. Christians never suspect that I am not a believer until I tell them because, as one once told me, I am so kind and friendly.

When I told her that I was an atheist, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath; she did this several time during our conversation, making me wonder if she were going to faint.
I will spare you, dear readers, the details, but she told me that she feared for me, and I needed to believe because there are only two places to go after death. She asked me which one I wanted to go to and I told here there is one place we go: we just die and that’s it.

I pointed out the similarity of myths found in all religions and when she kept referring to deity as “he,” I asked her why--Why IS god a male? She looked surprised but tried to rally. She said god has no sex and when HE said “let us make humans in OUR image,” he meant a spiritual image. (I have heard that one before.) I explained the different names used by the Jews for deity and stressed that “Yahweh” is masculine and singular but “Elohim” is feminine and plural. Since Elohim makes the remark about “our image,” it was a female entity speaking to other females. She changed the subject.

I pointed out to her that there were two very different creation stories in Genesis and explained how they were different. She tried to go off on a tangent about something unrelated, but I said, “I was talking about these stories; what is your take on the differences?” She refused to come back to it.

There was much more said, but when I finally ended it, she said that she wished we lived closer (she has no idea where I live) so we could become “friends” and get together and talk. Despite her telling me that I was an interesting person, I KNOW she wanted to get together in order to try to convert me.

Nice lady, but no thanks: I can break down every argument she would give; I have heard all of them. While I don’t mind passing 20 minutes in Walmart, I am not willing to pass more time.

And what did she expect me to do? Fall on my knees in Walmart and exclaim, "Praise the Lord! You have brought me back to my faith!”

She said she needed to keep things “simple” and not research issues of Christianity or know about other religions.

Simple, indeed.

Gwendolyn2018 9 Oct 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow! 20 minutes?
I've usually said something to scare them off in the first 30 seconds.

Nicely done.

My response is always "not interested" and leave it at that.

I once had one of the christians at work tell me it was the end days because the moon was being seen n the day time and that had never happened before.
So they were not only brainwashed, but also spectacularly unobservant to that point of their life.

I have a good number of friends and family who are religious, and I'll converse about more thoughtful issues with them, but at a certain point I tell them that I'm not going to try to challenge something that means so much to them. They're good people, and they're good with this. I am, too.

But this one is another matter. She's following the cult playbook on recruitment which, of course, requires complete and total unquestioning submission - and ignorance - of it's members. The line I most despise is that they're worried about my eternal life. Like, if you were really concerned about my life, start with something practical like pulling the overgrown yuccas in my yard. It won't change my mind, but it will prove you're at least sincere and not trying to play me.

(And you are kind and friendly. 🙂 )

My ex and my daughter both go to church (of a very fundamentalist leaning). I know it's too late for her mother, but I still gently prod my daughter toward more critical thinking when the occasion arises.

@Paul4747

I can't imagine how frustrating that must be for you. But my money is on the slow and thoughtful foundation of critical thinking you're building in your daughter's mind. It's probably the greatest gift you can give her.

I was lucky that my late husband and I were similarly non-religious. Although we yet hadn't explored atheism, his choice when he died was that I do the Klingon Death Ritual, so we were flexible. 🙂

@Lauren Personally I hope for a Viking funeral. I have several friends who would be delighted at a chance to shoot flaming arrows at my corpse.

@Gwendolyn2018 I'm so sorry for your sister's problems, particularly Addison's. I hope they can keep her comfortable, and I hope her wider viewpoints give her some contentment. Who knows? Maybe someday you'll find yourself having some heart-to-hearts about religion.

@Gwendolyn2018 Well, gods kind of are superhero's and at eight, everything is real, so there's time. I have no doubt some of your facts will come into his life to keep reality there.

My biological and faux daughters are all atheists, but they were respectful to family who was religious and stood quietly if guests prayed over meals. As my daughter explains to people, we don't poke. There was a scary moment when she took a bible class in high school, though. But they're all vitriolic and logical about religion in conversations outside of that. It warms my heart. 🙂

@Paul4747 Oh wow! It might even end up like that scene in Game of Thrones - I'd come to that! To celebrate you, of course ... not to laugh.

🏹🏹🏹

When I was a Christian I didn’t want to hear other people experiences either. They are 100% wrong and I’m 100% right. I remember listening to an atheist who made perfect sense one time. I was starting to give respect to his thoughts and then my indoctrination kicked in. He was obviously influenced by the devil and trying to tempt me.. needless to say it’s all bs

I pretty regularly give a dollar to those at intersections panhandling. They usually say, "Thank you and god bless you!" and I always reply, "If only there were a god!" Your story kind of helped explain why I get so many puzzled looks when I say that. They see a nice and generous person and wonder where my horns are since I don't believe in a god. It must confuse them that a heathen atheist is so kind (I actually claim to be agnostic since you can't prove there's no god - can't prove a negative).

My response to "god bless you" is "I hope not, god will fuck you up".

@Gwendolyn2018 I went by a center traffic island panhandler last week, young guy. His sign read “I’ll be honest, need beer!” Refreshing, but I didn’t contribute to his party! 😂

I admire your patience. Such people manage to last for as long as two minutes with me. I think I'll ask @KKGator what her secret is to reducing that time.

Useless to try I stay away from it

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 11, 2021

Whatever you do, don't ever fall to your knees in a Wal-mart. You don't know who else has just walked on that floor, or what they stepped in earlier.

If someone were to fall to their knees around here, the entire store would turn into an impromptu revival meeting 🙄

Gosh, shame on you, you ruined her day, maybe her life. How can you do that, now she will be ever so confused and maybe, maybe end up on this website one day. He, he.

@Gwendolyn2018
That's the problem with them, they don't listen and they don't answer questions. All they're interested in, is saying their "piece" only! and walk of thinking "deed done for the day"! Silly crowd honestly. A long time acquaintance saw me at a store, came up to me and said she just had to tell me that jesus loves me. I requested she tell him to phone me to tell me himself. I said I'll wait for his phone call or better if he could meet me outside the store😂
Her face took a twist. She knows I'm an atheist.

Yes, I live among many who lead that same fear-based "simple" Christian life. They really don't want to be made to think. It's just too hard.

Deb57 Level 8 Oct 12, 2021

If they had to think, they would likely break something.

Most Christians don't understand that our knowledge of their religious scriptures is exactly why we don't buy what they're selling.
Much of it defies logic and have little to no proof of being actual events.

Unity Level 7 Oct 11, 2021

She sounds like a simple minded person who doesn’t get much pushback from others that she tries to recruit for her god. Glad you tried to set her on a different path because she needed it! 😉

@Gwendolyn2018 I’ve been on the receiving end of one of those folks, wanting to be my friend until I told her there was no possibility of me following her god. She didn’t last long! 🤣

Simple is the only thing they have! Deep diving only leaves them with nothing to show for their beikefs.

I agree with your every word here. Simple indeed. These people do feel that it is their duty to convert us and they seem to fail to understand that we were once where they are now. After a time we grew up. They want to save us from "burning forever." I have seen people planted in the ground. Are they burning forever? No, they are dead.

Confuse not the minds of the simple or ignorant, they will only hate you for it....

@Gwendolyn2018 "Simple minded by choice" - I like that. 🙂

@Gwendolyn2018 I have met many so-called educated fools or educated idiots, who may have went to college or even got advanced degrees, but have the common sense of a wounded gorilla. Or the other educated fools who, like this one, choose to be willfully ignorant. I cringe every time, which is often, that I meet a college-educated person who, willfully, has never read another book since college, (and only read and learned grudgingly in college, in order to get the degree and the job that was supposed to come with it) unless it was required reading for their job. Such anti-intellectualism is laughable, if it weren't so sad and pathetic.....

You should have dropped to your knees in Walmart & praised the Walton family.

Or the time you keep an alka seltzer tablet to slip in your mouth and bite into.

Good for you! 😃
<<applauding>>

@Gwendolyn2018 Most of them don't know about their own religion.
Let alone similarities o other mythologies.

I've had similar encounters. You seem to have handled it well.

@Gwendolyn2018 "Your a better (wo)man than I, Gunga Din.". In my experience, such people are aggressive, and I know that I do not suffer fools gladly and that I treat aggressive fools with blasts of reason, logic and contempt.

planting the seeds of doubt is my preferred approach and once they are sown I like to water regularly LOL

My daughter taught me a good one for getting rid of them quickly. Right when they think they have you on the line , growl " Thank you Satan" in best demonesque voice. Personal space achieved.

Ignostic Episcopalian here. I'm with you, I find this kind of cultish Christian tiresome as well. God (figure of speech for evolution) gave us brains to use, not to regurgitate iron age Abrahamaaic dogma.

I think she wanted you to attend church with her so she could score brownie points with the pastor (and add to the collection plate).

Good on you for telling this person some facts, it's funny how believers ignore good questions, the last believer I engaged with ended up crying

Garf Level 7 Oct 13, 2021

@Gwendolyn2018 ah fuck em, if they are going to preach stupid shit based on myths then they are getting exposed, isn't it funny how agro an flustered they become because someone dares question and make holes in the faith they have on there sky daddy

She has a fantasy world where everything is blue skies and puffy white clouds but all you offered in return was reality, surprisingly she didn't drop on the floor and flop about while uttering jibberish aka speaking in tongues. At least you were kind. 😀

@Gwendolyn2018 probably send them to one of those camps where the pastors beat and rape them until they decide they are straight again. Horrible thought be it still happens.

@Gwendolyn2018 statistically speaking it probably has but Xstian like to play that stuff on the downlow with all the associated guilt and pain. People are who they are, regardless of crazy religious dogma.

She wanted you to have your epiphany in the express lane so that you could go straight to heaven!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:627660
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.