Agnostic.com

12 21

LINK Firearms were the leading cause of death in children in 2020, researchers say : NPR

For decades, auto accidents have been the leading cause of death among children, but in 2020 guns were the No. 1 cause, researchers say.

Overall firearm-related deaths increased 13.5% between 2019 and 2020, but such fatalities for those 1 to 19 years old jumped nearly 30%, according to a research letter in New England Journal of Medicine.

Researchers analyzed data collected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showing that there were a record 45,222 firearm-related deaths in the U.S. in 2020.

Patrick Carter, one of the authors of the research letter and co-director of the University of Michigan's Institute for Firearm Injury Prevention, said about 10% of those deaths — 4,357 in total — were children.

Studies have shown that firearm violence increased during the course of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, according to the research letter, the reason behind the increase in child deaths attributed to guns is unclear.

For decades prior to 2020, motor vehicle accidents were the leading cause of death among children. Carter tells NPR that the reason the two have swapped places is a "tale of two stories."

"Firearm deaths we haven't made much progress on, in fact it increased in recent years. And we have had a decrease in moto vehicle deaths," he said.

According to a separate study, motor vehicle crashes were the leading cause of child deaths for more than 60 years. But over time, cars have become safer and driver education has improved. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and others have pushed for better child safety in cars, taking a scientific approach to the problem, Carter said.

"We can do the same thing with firearms. We just haven't been able to do that in the same amount of years yet," he said. "It takes time to figure out what the underlying issues are with the problem and then finding the solutions."

The figures between adults and children and firearms are almost an inverted image of each other. For adults, 65% of gun related deaths are attributed to suicide, while 30% are homicides and about 2% come from accidental discharges, Carter said. For children, 65% of firearm deaths are homicides and 35% are categorized as suicide, he said.

And though mass shootings, which have drastically increased over the past 30 years, are clearly part of the problem, the vast majority of kids are killed by guns in smaller, day-to-day incidents.

"Most commonly what makes the news is these horrific mass shootings, but they are a small aspect of the overall problem," Carter said. "The smallest portion are the mass shootings. ... it's these daily deaths that are occurring making up the totality of what we are seeing."

HippieChick58 9 May 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In my opinion...

The biggest cause of division is racism, discrimination, and prejudice which is encouraged by religion, government, and big business. It protects and benefits them, everyone else is expendable. With such large groups in each demographic, the voice of reason is lost.

Betty Level 8 May 29, 2022

Well said. There is more behind it than just gun rights.

That's only because they're volunteering to lose their lives to protect our freedoms.

Oh, no, wait. That's the stupid fuckin' Republicans that are almost eager to trade some some children carcasses for unfettered access to assault rifles.

Words are nowhere near enough to say how sad and upsetting this is, especially, since imo, almost ALL of them could have PREVENTED had the Untied States of Absurdity woken up, seen that it is suffering from a series of totally insane obsessions, the first being that of " we must be armed, ready and prepared for an invasion." the second being that created during McCarthy era of " the Reds are coming, the reds are coming" and last but by NO means least, " An American male without a gun is Eunuch or a whimp."
In case no-one has ever told you gun-toting, SFB Barbarians each child that YOU allow to be killed by an American Arse-wipe with a gun is a PART of the FUTURE that you will NEVER see come to realisation.
And, imo, whether or not you sold the weapon, taught the user to fire the weapon or merely sat on your hands and did NOTHING YOU are as guilty as the Shooter him/herself BECAUSE you did NOTHING to prevent it from happening.

Very well said!

Well said.

Avoidable

bobwjr Level 10 May 29, 2022

Totally avoidable.

And the leading cause of death of pregnant women is being murdered by the person who got her pregnant.

But, but, but, if we can't have guns, only criminals will have guns and automobiles kill more people,should we outlaw them too and a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun and It's my right to have as Many guns as I want..so let's just say Thought and Prayers and move along till the next Mass Execution..🤬🤬🤬🤬

I did not know that although bad it was anything like number one. That is sad indeed. And I have read that of all gun deaths, mass shootings although they make the biggest news, are but a small portion compared with the huge number of pure accidental deaths, in both children and adults.

This is completely avoidable! No other developed country has as many shootings. And no other developed country has as easy access to guns. The NRA, the gun lobby, the gun manufacturers, and the politicians in their pocket are as responsible for the mass shooting victims as the shooters themselves.

I question whether most readers will get to your last two paragraphs, which I will copy here for emphasis;

"**....And though mass shootings, which have drastically increased over the past 30 years, are clearly part of the problem, the vast majority of kids are killed by guns in smaller, day-to-day incidents.

Most commonly what makes the news is these horrific mass shootings, but they are a small aspect of the overall problem," Carter said. "The smallest portion are the mass shootings. ... it's these daily deaths that are occurring making up the totality of what we are seeing."

So sure ban assault rifles, you will make the least improvement possible!!!

MENTAL HEALTH CARE FOLKS!!!! It needs to be AFFORDABLE and READILY AVAILABLE!!! Along with reasonable gun restrictions.

The mentally ill and children should not have access to guns. On that much, I think we could reach an easy agreement. OTOH if the response continues to be "Ban all guns" I think that will make it much harder to reach a useful consensus.

It's clear to me that the republicans simply do not care.
Facts mean nothing to them.

We MUST repeat that fact over and over until it finally sinks in with enough people to get something done abnout guns.

Really, you actually believe that?.. Actually 90% of all American want Gun Control..thecDems have passed many in the house.. it's Bitch McCornhole and his hoarde of thugs that are refusing to act in the Senate..

@Charlene In Obama's first term the Dem's held all three levels of government and nothing was done about gun laws. That was the last time they were unified and they let the opportunity pass them by.

@Betty one of the reason I lost faith in Obama..he's become a feckless puppet of his oligarch buddies..imo

@Charlene In order to rise to a position of "power", they have to allow themselves to be corrupted. That's how the "game" is played. Anyone who refuses to play "The Game" will not get the support to rise.

@Betty it's time to break the game..starting with the Dem leadership..

@Charlene Easier said than done.

@Betty not really, it just takes Reps with a backbone..

@Charlene Any politician, even ones with backbones will only make changes if it directly benefits them. When lobbyist make offers they won't refuse then votes will go in the favor of the lobbyist, not in the best interest of society.

@Betty make ilobbying illegal..they need to keep pushing this bill..itbeen languishing in thr House for years..

@Charlene Really? The politician's benefit from the lobbyist, so what motivation do they have to even consider making it illegal?

@Betty We can limity the yrvhniques of lobbyists, as well as how they use money. It can be accomplished if we get a solid Democratic majority.

@wordywalt The Democrat's had a unified house and senate in 2008 with Obama and nothing was done. What makes you think it would be different now? They love the lobbyists, they get lots of perks.

@Betty I genuinely believe that,as a wghole, today's Democrats have more integrity and commitment to the public good than does the Republican partyof today.

@wordywalt As an outsider I can only go on what I have seen and heard. The Dem's are not united and until they are nothing will get accomplished.

@Betty Thye Demcrat party has always been a "big tent" party. The Repulblicans demand obseqeious obedience to a morally bankrut leadership. And, the Fremovrats do not have a real majority, and the Republican ahenda is solely obstruction and villification.

Armaments and dope are two of the biggest sellers worldwide. I am not surprised that firearms were a leading cause of death in children in 2020. The way everything is going it may not change much.

Try the old adage of, " The ONLY thing Evil needs to succeed is for the GOOD people to do NOTHING."
Ergo, imo, the BALL, my friends, IS in your court.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:668828
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.