Agnostic.com

37 5

Basic survival skills

How many of us Agnostics have basic daily "survival" skills and common tools in our abodes?
This is kind of a rant. At least half the folks in my cul-de-sac are "handy". Several households have no clue how stuff works, and have no basic handtools.

• 65 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 16 votes
bigpawbullets 9 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tools, yes.
Survival tools, some.
Ability, yup.

I am useless to be honest.
Brain works, hand don't.
Don't have much by way of handyman tools,
but am fine in an emergency.

You're not useless, you have provided some good feedback on this site, based on my observations anyway. Speaking of which, I observe a different avatar...

My dad built his own house in the 1950's in a rural area. Self sufficiency was ingrained. Most girls did not receive this training during that epoch. Now I am finally understanding why urban folks think I am "different". I fix it myself. They call service personnel. However I don't do well with tech as nobody around to teach me. So I teach myself thru hit & miss. Like my touch pad that won't scroll any longer. In the summer I live off the grid to challenge my skills. In the winter not so much but I do shovel my 500 foot drive by hand if the snow blower is down. Nothing like shoveling under the moon & star light, in the QUIET, solitary, only the dogs. Very rewarding work out.

Master Builder so fixing things is what I do when I didn't build it in the first place, it doesn't need to be fixed if it is built right.

I have tools.
I used tools.
I have had/used tools for 40+ years.
I am now chronicly ill and I call people now.

I'm the mechanist at the theatre.
Everything from unblocking the foyer toilets to designing and building a 15m groundrow that will concertina into a 2m space, while looking like a solid piece that tracks off stage.

"I've tools and know how to use them"
What a playa.

I have a few tools don't really need to use them as much being I live in an apartment and maintenance fixes anything. I'm definitely the go to person to fix things at work before they call anyone out, I feel the younger generation are the ones lacking in this field. They no longer teach home economics in school that I know of at least and most everything these days are meant to be disposable so majority of society throws things away and buy new instead of trying to fix it. I used to scrap metals before the county gave out these massive garbage cans and you would be surprised what people throw away that was just a simple fix.

Yep.

skado Level 9 May 11, 2018

There is lots I can do, and what I can't do I can call my son in law. My daughter married a handy guy, builds houses and furniture and stuff. And my kids get real nervous when I talk about ladders (and so do I) so I'm really happy to ask Mikey to come over and take care of stuff.

I started climbing under cars and working on home repairs with my dad around the age of 3. I knew all the tools and their uses. I am good at putting things together and fixing things, and it appears that my youngest son has inherited this as well.

My Dad's a carpenter and refused to teach me how to use tools (and whistle), I can work out the basics of quite a few jobs, love putting flat packed furniture together, can change a fuse, once fixed a DVD player and it lasted for years more, (and I whistle, which is a bad thing in the UK: a whistling woman and a crowing hen are no use to cock or men - suits me, I don't exisit to please cocks or men!).

@jellyfish I haven't tried, shame you didn't ask before, I just finished a bag of crisps!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:79000
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.