Agnostic.com

88 6

Who is your favorite Atheist?

Anyone in history...which ones do you admire?

lkahleski 6 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

88 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The best at arguing against religion were Hitch and Sam Harris, followed by Lawrence Krause and Matt Dillahunty.

David Attenborough. "It never really occurred to me to believe in God" sums up my own atheism perfectly.

Jnei Level 8 May 15, 2018

That's easy, me. Well, besides me, I guess I'd have to say Carlin.

There are so many! But if I had to just pick one, I’d say Matt Dillahunty.

Apart from me it's got to be the Hitch 🙂

My daughter. She's in her mid twenties now, so I feel my job is done. She, like myself enjoys engaging with 'God-botherers'. Enlightening them as to the bloody great big holes in their faiths.

Stephen Hawking...the best in my opinion.

Alexa Level 5 May 16, 2018

48 comments and I haven't seen any mention of Terry Pratchet. Please please let me know someone else here agrees with my suggestion.
I was reading his work long before I became an atheist. He was one of the greatest influences in my adolescence. Without his writing making me laugh, think & cry I would be a worse person now. Possibly theist.

Love Pratchett, but primarily he comes to mind as a satirist and humourist, his atheism though a facet is not my primary memory of the great man.

@LenHazell53 he became a hero of mine. But yeh, guess he isnt famous for being an atheist, just famous and an atheist. Suppose many people might not know that about him.
When I became an atheist he was the only one I had had any dealings with prior to looking around for more. That's why he's so prominent in my mind.
Thanks.

@Stealthbeard I think after the publication of "Why I am not a Christian" he became the trail blazer for the high profile atheist who came after him, but it was "A history of western Philosophy" that set me on my life path and gave me a role model follow.
Cheers

Isaac Asimov, Matt Dillahunty

I'm a Huge fan of comedy. So my list is George Carlin, Ricky Gervaius (surprised no one has mentioned), and Penn Jillette. Then the more conventional Sam, Neil, Richard, Stephen, and Carl.

Love George Carlin...

Bertrand Russell and then, Hitch and Sam Harris

My favorite atheist is God himself.

All jokes aside, my favorite atheist is my uncle. He made it known to me that there is no scientific evidence for God, when I was in middle school. It was a pretty cool learning experience. If I had to name a historical figure, it would be probably nobody, since I haven't read any books on atheist historical figures. I am just not interested in books that are about people.

George Carlin🙂

Tim Minchin

Richard Dawkins, the OG.

Sam Harris

I have a few, but I think Richard Dawkins stands out. I like the way he thinks.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Don’t really have a favorite, but the first public person I took notice of and the first to make an impact on me was George Carlin.

Me!

I really like Greg Epstein the author of Good without God.

My son

Me

Hunter Thompson first springs to mind.
Live because why not.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:82239
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.