Agnostic.com
6 9

Tomorrow March 1 will be a month since my wife died. We had been separated since last March because of COVID although we talked on the phone several times a day and we did coordinate meals since she hated the hospital food. The staff was very good to come out and pick up her dinner when I brought it whether we picked something up at a restaurant or if I heated up one of her favorite soups and made her a sandwich. Since she passed, I have pretty much either heat up a frozen dinner or would get something out. Breakfasts and lunches have been cottage cheese, yogurt with frozen berries, or something similar out of the frig. Well, today, I decided to boil up some beans. I had bought these beans a while ago but hadn't done anything with them. I followed the directions on the bag and added some beef & garlic flavoring my wife liked to use in her cooking (she really new what she was doing in the kitchen) and I had bought some beef bones at the grocery store - I would have preferred ham hocks, but didn't find any. I boiled these beans checking them regularly until they were soft enough and then turned them off. Well, they are about as bland as anything I've ever had. Cooking is obviously a skill I will need to learn more about. I did add a bit of BBQ sauce and that did help a lot. Sigh! I will miss her a lot.

RussRAB 8 Feb 28
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In sympathy for your loss. I lost my wife almost 6 years ago now and understand the grief and adjustment. One of the things that has confounded me is cooking for one. It is difficult to buy ingredients to cook for one and eating the same thing over and over is not what I have found desirable. People told me to cook and freeze but my freezer is not large and again there is the problem of repeating meals for as long as what you cook lasts. I find that as the cost of groceries has risen I can get meals at a local restaurant and have two meals from the amount of food, (only having to repeat the meal twice), for about the same cost as buying and cooking. And, for me, eating alone after 43+ years is a requirement and not particularly enjoyable. In time you will adjust and find a way that is manageable. And I still miss her a lot. (Here is something I do when I cook. You can purchase frozen veggies in larger bags that take about 3 minutes in the microwave to heat for one serving. Added to a piece of fish or other fresh meat and some rice or potatoes, (which you can get pre-cooked or frozen), and it will make a quick meal that is not all junk food).

ArthurK Level 6 Mar 1, 2021

I still don't cook. I don't eat much and it's not worth the trouble to make something and throw most of it out 😟

freeofgod Level 8 Mar 1, 2021

I’m proud of you for trying to do some cooking for yourself. The past month has been hard on you, and so many people don’t take care of themselves after losing a partner. I think you trying to move forward on your own is to be commended. My husband was a fantastic cook, and did a lot of the cooking for us. I tried to cook things that he did, but they were just never the same. Keep those memories of her close and keep trying in the kitchen, you’ll get it!😉

Sorry for your loss. Been there, doing that. Keep trying, you will get better.

Detritus Level 7 Mar 1, 2021

you seem to brush off her passing and focus on ham hocks.

TheDoubter Level 9 Feb 28, 2021

Sorry you feel that way. It is about needing to do something myself that I am rather inept at doing and that she excelled at and very much enjoyed. I was trying to recall what she might have done for this rather simple task. I didn't express it any too well.

i get a funny feeling reading this.

TheDoubter Level 9 Feb 28, 2021
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 33

Photos 138 More

Posted by bookofmoronsIts been 10 years last week since I lost her. Hard to believe where that time went and yet it isn't either

Posted by RedheadedgammyToday four years ago today, at 4:15 in the morning my darling Richard passed away.

Posted by BettyEvery day. 😥

Posted by RoseyRoseToday is the anniversary of my husbands birth.

Posted by GeorgeRocheleauI know how they feel.

Posted by Sonja44All of it.

Posted by Sonja44My love would have been 61 years old today. 💔

Posted by AlchemyWow, I am grateful to find this group.

Posted by AlchemyWow, I am grateful to find this group.

Posted by Huskygirl4everToday would be our 27th anniversary it's the seventh one without you and it hurts this picture would be taken on June 12th the original date we had set for the wedding but we had to get married a ...

Posted by Huskygirl4everI remember when Norm gave this to me and the first time I ever read it I actually read my last name as Friedrich this is one of the things I will always cherish

Posted by AncientNight45 years ago, my Father told me, "Beware the Ides of March!" It was the day I got Married to my Girlfriend.

Posted by KymmacgOne of the biggest issues for me, now, even 18 years later, is the loss of life.

Posted by alonI had a nice Bacon/Cheese Omelette for my Sunday Breakfast this morning instead of my usual Eggs Benedict.

Posted by MsHolidayMemories.

Posted by MsHolidayI have chosen to place this here to let others know that we do move forward.

• Top tags#wife #friends #grief #death #cancer #video #hope #relationship #world #kids #memories #reason #widow #marriage #god #religion #weddings #children #Song #dogs #book #DonaldTrump #holiday #Christmas #parents #sleep #church #dream #religious #poetry #hospital #Friday #funeral #sex #lonely #hello #advice #coffee #dying #soul #humans #college #rain #dance #siblings #movies #faith #money #youtube #Present ...

Members 273Top

Moderators