Agnostic.com

56 6

Death. Do you fear it?

I don't believe there is anything after death. Like falling asleep and dreaming nothing forever. Which isn't a scary thing to happen really since I will have no awareness of anything anymore. So why am I still afraid of death? Has anyone overcome this fear in part or in whole?

Estam 4 June 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am not afraid of death,i just don't want to be there when it happens.(Woody Allen)

It's not death itself -- the nothingness -- that I worry about. It's the dying part ... possible pain, lingering unnaturally, etc. And also, who will have to clean out my garage.

“I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens.”

― Woody Allen

Did you fear the existance you had before you were born? That is the same reality you face in death.

Nothingness begets nothingness - fear isn't even a componet of this equation.

You will factually fear life, moreso - than you will ever fear while dead.

You will be dead for much longer than you ever lived.

The fly of May
It lives one day

When that day is done
MayFly does not complain
It flies into the setting sun
It goes back to the place from which it came

Me, my life is long
With reasons few like you
When I go and when I'm gone
I will understand these things I never knew

I've faced a death a few times now between heart attacks and sepsis. I don't fear it anymore. As far as I am concerned I will be living forever - it's not like I am gonna be around to observe me not being around.

Because (IMHO) I think that we are hard wired to love being alive....most of us are just not ready to give it up as long as we can keep body and soul together so to speak. But - I see some of the people in the Hospice facility where I volunteer who are in such bad shape physically that death becomes less to be feared and more to be welcomed as a relief from their suffering. So I guess my answer to the question would be that while I don't "fear" it - I'm not ready to embrace it anytime soon.....

I'm not afraid of being dead. I'm worried I won't be able to see all the places I want first, and to experience the things I want to.

I've largely overcome the fear of death by not being attached to life. There's nothing here that I truly need, I'm just passing through and casually enjoying life while it lasts.

Denker Level 7 June 26, 2018

I don't fear death, but I fear not being done living first.

Death is such a tease.

Young and vain, her part is just to show up. 😀

Nope. No fear. I've come close a few times.
It's just a doorway.

Only dying in loneliness.

Not death itself, but I am afraid of the manner in which it may occur. Prolonged slow and painful are not good for anyone. I hope it’s swift and/or in my sleep.

Me too. My dad dropped dead (literally) but my mom got sick and sicker. She became skeletal and dark yellow. Colon cancer. She had to look at her reflection in mirrors and her family's faces. I can't imagine anything more horrible.

No--aside from a PAINFUL death, I don't think there's anything to fear. Personally, I'm terrified of getting Alzheimer's and being forced to live in diapers and babbling nonsense because I can't legally ''off'' myself. THAT needs to CHANGE!

I'm not afraid of being dead, but I do fear that the last few minutes of life may be awful--like if I can't escape from a fire or drown trapped in a submerged car. On the other hand, I've wondered if a long fall--like from a plane or high cliff--might not be exhilarating.

Exactly! I'd guess most of us feel that way.

I fear the process, not the outcome.

LB67 Level 7 July 9, 2018

Not really afraid of death. I'm more afraid of not living my life to the fullest.

I don’t fear death. I don’t seek it necessarily, but I accept that it could come at anytime. I have had an interesting life, travelled a lot growing up, had love (even if fleeting), have passed on my DNA to a son and grandchildren, my wisdom (for what it is worth) to a stepson. I feel I have helped more people than I have harmed in my life. So, when it’s time for me to exit, I have no regrets, nothing more I expect to accomplish. A recent heart failure only reminded me to enjoy as much as possible whatever positives I have in my life.

I don’t fear death, but I could be afraid of what precedes it, dependent on what that proves to be. I think that’s what most people actually fear.

We are hardwired to survive, even when we don't want to continue the instincts inside us make us want to try to continue. The ego wants to live forever even though we know this to be an impossibility, still it wants what it wants.
I don't fear death, I don't want to die but I don't fear it either. At the worst it is nothingness and at the best it is a recycling of my energy into something else. I feel a bit of pity for the religious, they fear punishment in death and that fear undermines their happiness, surely there is plenty of room in heaven and no space in hell if the religious are correct.

@KissedbySun not much of a religion then are they? 😉

I am not afraid of the process of dying....but I don't want to die before I am ready to die. Well, who does? I actually worry more about being a burden....my mother is 95 and lucid....but what if I am 95 and NOT lucid. Just shoot me.

Of course I do. It's a noble thing to say, "I don't fear death", but is that really true? As I am sitting here typing these words, my mind is alive with all kinds of thoughts and ideas. I have warm, beautiful memories of my past, and hope for my future. I have felt such strong emotions, and I cherish them all, even the ones that hurt. I don't want to go dark. I don't want to cease to exist. This isn't a nap that you wake up from; it's a complete loss of being. So yeah, sure. I fear death and want to prolong it as long as possible. That said, I don't dwell on it; I live each moment to its fullest.

I only worried about dying before my son was an adult. My greatest fear was that he'd get stuck living his father's life.

Yes! I've been a single mother my son's entire life and was TERRIFIED something would happen to me before he could take care of himself. Now he has a wife and baby. All is well. Phew!

Why do you fear death? I do not know.

The only reason I can imagine is a subconscious apprehension about no longer being able to support those you love, and whose who's lives you enrich on many levels.

Years ago my grandfather told me he was ready to die. He died several months later. I didn't understand his position until I one night when I became rather ill for a very short period of time with a severe flue? like thing that during it's apex left me in severe system-wide pain and unable to sit up with seizures. I honestly did not expect to see the light of following day. Before passing out, I understood my grandfather's position and peacefully accepted what I considered to be my inevitable demise. The next morning I was pleasantly surprised to wake in a significantly better physical condition. This event has affirmed my lack of fear for death.

I actually do not understand the fear of death. To me it is just another part of life. I am amused exspecially by christians that constantly tell you how great their after life is going to be and are afraid to get there.

Although funny, "amused" when it comes to "Christians telling you how great their after life is going to be and are afraid to get there." I usually tell them how this position makes me feel sorry for them then point out the problems with their position.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:115999
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.