Agnostic.com

341 197

Dating after 50

Is it just me, or is dating after 50 a nightmare?

It seems like almost everyone is so religious, which narrows the pool significantly.

Then out of those who are left the majority fall into one of these categories: looking for a nurse/care giver,
looking for someone MUCH younger to recapture their youth or REPUBLICAN

Then of the 10 people in your region that are left...you don't like 5 and the other 5 don't like you.

OYE! I think I just need a gay best friend to do things with and a new vibrator.

Crimson67 8 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

341 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well. I do not mind saying that I would like to be one of those people willing to change that, got to start somewhere and I am not afraid to help the cause.....call me Ladies ?

your right im glad my right-hand works

Lol.
Sorry...
No I'm not...
LOL.
But yeah... my experience with dating apps... no bueno...
Bumble, pof, match, okc... use them all now for months... nada. Better results outside the apps and that in itself isn't much better as you've mentioned... shrug

I agree with you dating after 50 is a nightmare for men also Myself I would rather be with someone closer to my age younger women out there like to play to many games .They do not know how to handle a gentelman .someone that opens doors for them most men are looking for younger women to make them feel younger Age is a state of mind I look for someone that have lived and learned

Dating at age 29 is a nightmare. I don't date anymore.

don't give up... you just too young to say that.

You are so right about that! What a clear statement of the problem! I have been looking for 15+ years off and on between a few little relationship, and moving coast to coast and North/South about 10 times, ok....maybe 7-8. Please post or send your picture....On paper you fit for me and I might fit for you. Read my profile ask me anything. If WE don't fit, maybe you have a friend and i would try to think of someone for you....but send those pictures!
🙂)) Dave

Men my age are always looking for younger women---though they'll insist they aren't. Then others will announce they want to meet women their own age so they can get attention. I gave up on dating sites after making these observations consistently.

Dating is always difficult, at any age, specially if you put the bar too high. The older we are, the more we are used to our ways and become more demanding, less prone to change to adapt to other person's ways. What one think is sweet and funny can be annoying to the other and vice versa.We need to start again from scratch, zero, and that is very difficult. For the time being, the new vibrator is a good idea!

I'm in my late-ish 40's (47) and it's a nightmare. Every guy who approaches me expects sex within the first 10 minutes but always says he wanta to "take it slow". Translation: I'd like to browse Tinder while I simultaneously have your legs up in the air.

P.S. I'm not on Tinder. I also put it out there that I am a relationship girl. Not a FWB type.

The only guy who message me who seem nice also seem to be predominantly Christian, and place importance in their faith. It's very disheartening. I tend to unplug for long stretches of time. Then I get curious if the landscape has changed. I poke my head out; get discouraged again and retreat.

I haven't given up. I just stopped looking a long time ago. Oh; and people who say you'll find live as soon as you stop looking...they need to come up with some better advice.

@FlyingEagle1952 Insufferable comments and poor grammar suck worse.

@FlyingEagle1952 I'm sorry it sucks for you but I'm in excellent health, travel a lot, and do whatever I want.

I just moved to Orlando and I am horrified with the number of churches around here...Chances of finding a man in the same page of evolution are minimizing abruptly.

find a metaphysical center......spiritualists are open and you don't have to hear that Jesus Christ bullshit....

oh yeah, I did go to a really cool church in Florida. It's called Humanitarian Universalists......and believe it or not atheists go there. Really cool. None of the JC lake of fire satan bullshit....great progressive thinkers. if you can find one.

I'm back home in Daytona Beach (grew up here) to look after my Dad since my Mom died. I've lived the past 30 years in Chicago. THIS IS CULTURE SHOCK. I don't want to meet any men here in any case!

@FlyingEagle1952 Ease up on the ellipses.

I have lived in Chicago for 30 years. I'm just not there at the moment. While I disagree with your characterizations, I am already well aware of your various recommendations.

Start dating here!

Yes, it's a horrible nightmare and I have given up for now. May try again someday but right now it's too scary for me.

Aggy Level 4 Dec 20, 2018

I find that problem at age 47.

In my experience, it’s been pretty good.
Perhaps being a liberal guy in Montana has some advantages🙂
The religious aspect is one that is a bit limiting, but overall I’ve seen lots of ladies that are intelligent, attractive/active and have religious and political views which aren’t out of my comfort zone.

There is actually a lot of nice folks in Montana , I like it..

Lmao

JessV Level 4 Oct 7, 2018

I might be too young for your taste, but i won't mind a 50 y/o woman like you ?

It's tough out there. I'm sure that young people think it's easy for us 50+ to date. In fact, it is not. Many of us have been married several times, others just once for 2 or 3 decades. Regardless, we are all damaged to some degree. I for one, have been married twice, I have no desire to marry again. I live alone and I love it. As we get older, we lose more family and friends, in other words, they die.
I find it hard to believe that people our age still go to brainwashing, oops, I meant church. To have someone who is flawed tell me how to live my life, if I don't know right from wrong by now, I'll never know.

Fact

Gays are much easier to get along with because there is no real expectation. When adding the possibility of sex it get very complicated. Yet isn't that a good place for lonely people. Sex after fifty is so much better. Except for the aches and pains.

As there are almost no atheists (my absolute minimum standard for a potential relationship) in my area, I long ago gave up the prospect of finding a worthy (rational) partner. Haven't tried a "dating site" for years but in this group there is no female active in the last months and a half within this state. (within hundreds of miles)

Think it is a different world if you are a theist. Last night I screened two movies (I built a movie theater that seats 21+ in the basement) with a small group of two couples, both over 50, divorced and actively dating. All theists. Both of the women were single and not involved (one just moved to town) a few months ago and managed to find a theist to . . . "Too Much Information - - make the couch vibrate" - quote form one of the guests last night - - - was screening "Dunkirk" and the furniture does move when bombs go off.

Do I consider the prospect of living my life alone a hardship? Although it would be nice to share life's joys, not really. By observing the outcomes of some of the (once married) theist teachers I work with, I have witnessed many relationships that provided more harm then good.

Dating generally is a nightmare. My friends in their thirties and forties have a long list of complaints as well. Dating after fifty as a nonmonogamous male is that much higher a level of difficulty. I try look at it as trying find cool people get know and if it moves beyond that, bonus.

I feel your pain. I think many older people use religion as a crutch to make themselves feel better about getting older and facing mortality. I'm an agnostic, liberal, free thinking woman, and I would rather be alone than to settle for someone who can't respect my beliefs. I will you success. Be patient, there are plenty of us out there!

Dating is a nightmare. I narrowed the pool by putting down no trumpsters. After a few years I finally found someone. Really didn’t think anyone existed for me. If it can happen to me it can happen to you

jab60 Level 6 July 27, 2018

LOL...your in Kentucky. I think it's hard to find someone like yourself there. I'm having the same issue here so it's off to the west coast for me soon.

That was funny. I'm 47. No plans of another relationship. Which means it's bound to happen.

I think having dismal expectations give dismal results. Not that having a great vibrator or toy isn't a good thing, with or without a partner to have sex with.
If you are open to meeting an exciting, loving man that you are attracted to, it's quite possible you will align with a good fit.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.