Agnostic.com

341 197

Dating after 50

Is it just me, or is dating after 50 a nightmare?

It seems like almost everyone is so religious, which narrows the pool significantly.

Then out of those who are left the majority fall into one of these categories: looking for a nurse/care giver,
looking for someone MUCH younger to recapture their youth or REPUBLICAN

Then of the 10 people in your region that are left...you don't like 5 and the other 5 don't like you.

OYE! I think I just need a gay best friend to do things with and a new vibrator.

Crimson67 8 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

341 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've been very happily married since I was in my late twenties, when I turned fifty some many years back I started getting random contacts from old girlfriends and old female school friends who all find themselves now single, asking if I was still married and if so was it a happy marriage, and to let them know if I ever find myself free. Came as an unwanted shock I can tell you.
It's weird because as a young man I was always the one who got friend zoned, "I like you but not in that way" and the classic "I would but you're too nice." YuK!.
So I am assuming that should anything ever happen to my lovely wife, I won't lack company, but obviously I'm in no rush for that.

It would seem that maybe your just " out of practice ". Please don't take that the wrong way it's just a turn of phrase, but i'm 50 in a few months and simply find the more people I know the more open I am to finding someone. Maybe it's different here in the UK but being Athesist doesn't bar you so much. I'm sure you have good friends but make more, then let nature take it's course

As I rapidly discovered when I started travelling, each continent is different. (I'm from Africa.)
Europe was not too dissimilar, but then I stumbled across America. Canada was relatively moderate, but the USA was utterly strange to me. However, as I said to my wife when I went with her, "Don't knock it - it works."
However, where you have the Christian equivalent of Muslim fundamentalists, women are likewise a chattel and commodity.
Older men have an easier time by far!!!

What a great post this turned out to be. I have enjoyed reading all the responses. It seems most of us middle aged people are sharing the same nightmare...?

Seems many are religious or have no idea how to take care of themselves and never grew up...the dating pool sucks

@Jedi918: Well some of it sucks, some of it blows. Me I'm ambidextrous 😉

I graduated college the year I turned 50. A degree in fine arts and theater. I stopped dating. Period. Focused completely on my art career for 15 years. OMG now, I'm retired (still making art) but looking for a date...YIKES. It isn't the same world I knew when my studio mate in college kept trying to seduce me. I still look way younger than my age, but men my age don't seem to be interested in women their age. I've satisfied myself with have virtual relationships with men. I find it very stimulating because men love reading my erotica stories.

I'm not quite 50 yet (49) but, it is a total nightmare. I thought by the time a man reached mid 40s that they would be more mature. But, all I am finding with men in my age range is that they want girls half thier age and/or nice bodies, etc. Basically, most of them are very shallow. And stop with the dick pics! LOL. I probably need to move. The town I live in are mostly conservative God bothering gun nuts.

Crimson67, your concern is sooo right on. I just don't date. Instead, I focus on making friends. Good to meet others with the same dilemma.

Coda Level 4 Apr 14, 2018

I'm writing as a 58 year old married man; I window shop bit I don't buy! What I observe in the folks in my neighborhood is that people "showing signs of being in the game" fare well.

please explain.

I've noticed a difference after dealing with WAW.
Self help, self improvement. How to dress, how to carry yourself, smile, chat up everyone you meet out and about to be better socially. Lots of videos on youtube for free. Dressing better and right fitting clothing has been most noted difference in getting attention!
Husbands of WAW make great 2nd husbands, her loss, did my work.

@zeliasgrand @witchymom @sassygirl3869 All of that plus clothes that fit, hair that works, or, generally speaking, shows signs of life. We all had to learn this in Junior High, and we may need to re-learn it while getting mail from AARP.

@BlueWave @witchymom walk away wife actual syndrome.

@andygee You hit the nail on the head. Hope some people understand this. When people just give-up and don't care about their appearances anymore they're just no-longer "in the game" (why was that confusing?). It's that simple. Get rid of the excess weight (actually, it's easy), get some nicer clothes, pay attention to the things you paid attention to when you really WERE hot! People will notice. Good things will happen. That's a promise.

I got divorced two years ago, and decided to enter the dating pool at the age of 64. I thought men around my age would know what they want, and be more together than they were in our 20s. Boy, was I wrong! Guys, I'm sure this is true for some ladies as well. People carry baggage all their lives, and their entrenched habits are worse. I dated a man (briefly) until I discovered he was married. Then I had a LDR with a guy I developed some strong feelings for. We had great sex for months, then he suddenly went back to his ex. I discovered I was only a rebound. I have rebooted myself, and carry no baggage. Why can't people stay out of dating sites unless they are emotionally available?

This!! Spent a week talking to a guy every day. Just before we were to meet, he revealed:
He had dialysis 3 days a week & was waiting for a transplant
He lived in a furnished room
He had diabetes
He couldn't really afford to date.

Don't misunderstand. I'm not without compassion, and I don't expect to be financially supported...but I'm relatively healthy and I'd like to do things that he is unable to do. Sigh. Real talk - ok for a friend but not for dating.

It's a brave new world, AI, dating computers, extreme materialism and its concomitant, status? What's left of what we used to know as being human, having human interactions, touching, dancing, just saying hello without suspicion, having an open conversation without offending ones "liberal, conservative or religious" sensibilities? Hard? almost impossible to be "real" because what does it mean in the "new millennium?"

Age is no bar for dating, because only our body is subjected to ageing process and not our mind or desires.

Noyi Level 6 Sep 8, 2018

are you sure?

I think the majority of people are unrealistic. Everyone wants a conflict free world, country, enviroment, relationship, life, etc. etc.. Thats not reality. Reality is that the world and every aspect of it is always in conflict of some kind. It always has been and will always comtinue to be. If thats what you want and expect then you are delusional and trying to live an illusion. Single people at 50 have been through so much shit that they just want peace anymore. Well, you're going to be lonely then because nothing is ever perfect. I'm 48 and looking at my second failed marriage. My first wife was older, my second younger. Age makes no difference I can tell you that. I'll be damned if I'm going to give up though. It was my wives who expected everything to be perfect and always their way. Just because they were both that way doesn't mean there isn't a woman out there that knows that that is absurd. That everything won't always be unicorns and rainbows. I hope I find her. If I don't then I will settle for the good times I have with the next person until they are gone. I won't submit to being a disgruntled old hag like most of the single men and women my age that I know are. Also I think when someone looks for someone younger, that is why, because older single people's attitudes about relationships suck.

Even on this site where most people are pretty open minded, the majority have an endless list of criteria someone has to meet to be considered as dateable relationship material. I definately do not. If a girl has a pretty smile and is kind to me, Id go out with her and give it a try. Why not? What do I have to loose? Nothing I havent lost before.

@craycraycatty At our age I think all a person needs to bring to the table is companionship. You sound like my sister. Maybe it's all the rain. I went to high school in Vancouver. I have a lot of friends and family in the great northwest. Do you like seafood? There's a lot of great places to eat in Seattle. Elliots, The Walrus and the Carpenter? Maybe when I'm out there some day we could go out to eat and argue or something. Lol. There'll be leftovers for your cats. I do agree with you though, life isn't that easy but that shouldn't matter.

@craycraycatty I love crab. How about gooeyduck? I used to go to longbeach and get gooeyduck. Yum! Vancouver, Washington.

It is difficult; but I'm not sure that it's more difficult than younger years. The dating game has never come naturally for me.

I vote: Nightmare.

add to that...trying to find a SOBER person (for me ) !!! yeah. mission impossible.... and what's with all these guys that say they are "christian", but when asked about it, they flip flop all over the place like a fish in a boat...well...uh...not really...I just uh...you know...

My late wife and I married at a ministers house in California,and never stepped in a Church during our marriage, she had crosses in the hallway,we decorated a tree, and had gift exchanges,but not at all religious in other ways,. a very calm no drama marriage,no drugs,smoking of abuse by me or her.

SOBER... is right! After a 17 year marriage to an alcoholic, that's at the top of the list. And around here where I live, there isn't much else to do. I don't mind a drink once in a while... And for the first several years, it was just once in a while. Then as she got closer to 40, everything changed. And she went in the deep end, drinking to a drunken stupor every single day, but not before I invited her to leave. She married another, even worse alcoholic, and I took the kids. Now, I find myself both divorced and alone, having seen my youngest graduate high school this past spring. The divorced, I'm used to... but the silence drives me nuts. I keep the TV on now... Just for background noise.

@Junkman My past 12 year relationship was with someone who could drink half a bottle of grey goose vodka in one evening. She was very well off, nationally known in her field but nothing I could do or say could stir her from her bottle. Your post reminded me of why, when I date (and only infrequently) I gently try to ask the person't drinking habits.

Yes it’s a nightmare. The good ones have already gone. Those online seem weird, resentful, Republican, gun lovers, or predatory. They give good men a seriously bad name. Go for the vibrator and those gay men who genuinely like the company of women.

Livia Level 6 Aug 11, 2018

Yeah it's tough. There are women who are still looking for prince charming. I mean, I'm a romantic as well but c'mon, we're 50. How about just someone that won't kill me in my sleep, lol. Okay maybe there is something in between but...

have you been watching SNAPPED again? heehee

@DeeWoman had to look it up maybe I should be watching it. Lol

@onlyduh lol.... No, I'm laid back I'd be the one getting got.

@onlyduh myea I totally get it now, duh. I read it again and it sounds out with the caps...well done.

He was warned what!? Dang I never heard that...thx for the heads up, good to know.?

@onlyduh my nephews are Amerasian, is that proper to say? Anyway, them boys got it going on, js.

Then you're cool, I mean you didn't...romantic? Lol

@onlyduh he sounds like a real asshole.

@onlyduh yeah you wouldn't, I'm just proud of the men they became.

If you think 50 is difficult, try 60! I just "met" two men back to back, who I was pretty compatible with on the phone but when we talked about the possibility of taking the next step, a big problem reared its head. Both had extensive physical ailments which made relationships difficult. Guy #1 had had a kidney transplant and kidney disease ran in his family. He is fairly healthy but tires easily, can't stand on his feet for long, and felt sure that he'd need another transplant some day. We didnt get past the phone calls.
Guy #2 and I talked for hours by phone and it was great. He has my sense of humor, is as chatty as I am, and I really sparked with this guy! He also had some physical ailments but he didnt tell me the gist of them until we met for lunch: diabetes, heart trouble, but the worst was that he had had extensive back surgery, and he also couldnt walk long distances or stand on his feet for long. He walks with a slight stoop, has balance issues, etc.
I'm not a "super-senior", defined by me as those slim, smiling, silver-haired couples in ads that go hang-gliding and zip lining so that they don't feel or look "old" 🙂, but I'm pretty active so I knew it wouldnt work out. Problem was, I REALLY liked this guy. Sigh...but physical ailments played a part in the breakup of my last relationship so I already know what lies down that road.
Sighhhhhhh... Ive got minor physical issues, as do many over 60, but these things were a bridge too far. I'm starting to wonder if I should ask for medical records before I decide to date someone! 🙂

Yup! I understand!

I can relate..I'm a dancer and men my age (66) just don't get excited by the idea of going out dancing on a date.. I pretty much have to beg my girlfriends as well..looks like I'm stuck with the dog !

Date younger men!

I have a lady friend who I compare dating notes with: She is 63, lives in Parkersburg, WVA and runs into guy after guy who is not able to climb the mountain anymore due to a variety of mostly medical issues. I am still active at 67 and I guess I should thank the big sky god...(lol) that I am not in that category. It is very frustrating for her. And three different women I have gone out on a first date with in the past year tell me very fast that they have not had sex for X amount of years, nor do they ever plan on having it, that is is just for young folks, and that they are just looking for companionship. Sigh. I have not given up but my optimism is fading.

I think I've totally given up. all the guys that interest me are far away geographically. and being an introvert does not make this easier

808nyx Level 4 July 20, 2018

I'm 63, also I need is a vibrator.

Don’t you think you gets the right feelings from a sweet and humble man that’s is ready to spend the rest of his life with you .?

I have all non-vibrate ones..

Yeah. Believe me I get it. I love your list. I would add to it Being geographically undesirable, it amazes me how many men say they will look no further than 20 miles for a real relationship. Yeah that is weird. Also all of a sudden assets have become a huge deal, such as if I don't own a home that I can sell then my maket value as a single woman has gone down.

That is crazy! What we own is not their concern. I get asked if I own property and my reply is...why...Are you a realtor?

@goldrose I hear you. Seems to be all about combining assets at this point. It really annoys me

Blech. I hate it. I oscillate from "I hate being alone" to, "who needs the grief", then back again. In between I remain single. :/

I'm 47 and I totally agree. It also doesn't help that I'm crap with meeting new people (its fine once I know you but those initial interactions are just so awkward).

Why is it so hard to find someone to spend the rest of my life with?

You answered your own question.

I also know several professional women who would NEVER consider dating a man who makes $20k less lol and many of those same women say they're dedicated to dismantling the patriarchy. Also stay at home moms who demand all potential dates make enough to support them and their kids. One woman I know of recently got married but her biggest concern was his $70k salary would be a significant reduction for her children, she can't make $40k.

Sorry women, there simply aren't that many single men who make $100k, especially if you throw in supporting a 20ish failure to launch or the ego associated with not deigning to date plumbers 🙂

If we truly reject religious culture, wouldn't we also reject concepts the man is the breadwinner and women need to be demure that are intrinsically tied to religion?

Shoot! I'd love to date a plumber, but like a doctor, those on-call emergencies might get frustrating.

@GinaMaria lol definitely! Being on call can be really frustrating! That just means dating men who get dirty isn't beneath you.

@educatedredneck Naw... my dad was a mechanic. I feel that a person's value isn't in their job, but rather in how they treat others and how they approach life.

@GinaMaria my Dad was also a mechanic, treating others well seems like a concept many don't value right now.

This problem was created when they decided not to pay women the same salary , for doing the same work . Then , they put us on the Mommy track , so we don't get the same job opportunities or promotions , as well .

yes yes yes. it' only a flesh wound.

@Breathingtrees I'm sadly but solidly white collar and can fix a leaky faucet if the problem is the water is turned on.

I've met several women who are fixated on dating lawyers, doctors and MIGHT make an exception for a hospital administrator or a top realtor lol just a little exaggeration but I did know a guy who ran a city's sewer plant and he had a few women turn up their noses at him.

@Breathingtrees yeah my other requirements are so high how someone makes money isn't an issue, ya know as long as she's not an assassin, pharmaceutical rep...and I'd have problems dating Amish milkmaids, but not bc they smell like cow pies.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.