Agnostic.com

341 197

Dating after 50

Is it just me, or is dating after 50 a nightmare?

It seems like almost everyone is so religious, which narrows the pool significantly.

Then out of those who are left the majority fall into one of these categories: looking for a nurse/care giver,
looking for someone MUCH younger to recapture their youth or REPUBLICAN

Then of the 10 people in your region that are left...you don't like 5 and the other 5 don't like you.

OYE! I think I just need a gay best friend to do things with and a new vibrator.

Crimson67 8 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

341 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow, its like you can read my mind. Don't really have a solution for you other than "don't give up , the right person could be right around the corner". Most of all just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

I know the feeling. I’ve been single for 8 years and finding a good match for religion, especially in the south, is very difficult.

Frankly the market doesn't look much brighter at 30, just the people are looking for different, although not altogether better things in a partner. Honestly I think we broke society and socialization as a species and I wish us luck for the future.

I find that many people over 50 have “old” mindsets that exclude new sexual attitudes. Life is too short to be stuck in a chastity belt designed in the 50s

I find that age-ism is rampant - particularly among older people. There's no set, certain way to act in your 50's or 60's - and I stay completely away from online dating sites with a particular age group in mind. People who are willing to categorize themselves by age have already put blinders on, and can only see things through a certain filter.

It's tiresome - we present ourselves as being open-minded, and then I see and hear older people relentlessly categorize themselves and others by age.

I want to get to know people from 20 to 80, and throw fucking labels out the window. When I see a homogeneous group of old people or young people or middle-aged people or white people or any other kind of people, I get so bored that I just hang out with my dog and take great hikes in my beloved Pacific Northwest.

Rant ends.

Good rant. Reminds me of a chat I had last week with one of our school's (age 60ish) custodians. He showed me a photo of a twenty-somehing Russian that he encountered (part of a tourism group) they and had many social outings with) last year. He noted to her they should not spend so much time together because of the age difference but she noted in Russia, age is not an issue. She Texts him every night and he returns her calls. . .

@NoMagicCookie To have an open mind and heart, to truly listen to someone, to hear without preconceived notions and trust myself enough to know what's best for me. Not how old someone is, or what color their skin is, or even where they fall on the gender spectrum. We are - especially here on this forum - exposed to so many different intellectual and imaginative discourse. BTW - Love Green Bay. I am a Packers fan, and am ready for the new season with Aaron Rodgers, healthy, on the field. Especially with the new defensive coordinator in the saddle...

@skye724 I completely agree with everything you noted except (trivial) the "Packers fan" as professional athletics are not a part of my world.

@NoMagicCookie When I moved to New York City after college, my roommate and I didn't have two nickels to rub together. She was a freelance writer for Sports Illustrated and Ballet World. Seriously. And her grandmother gave us a TV as a housewarming gift. So, on Sundays, she taught me how to watch football, and I got hooked. Hence my love for the Packers. She also got frequent ballet tickets for free. So I learned about Baryshnikov and the NFL all at once. Gotta love practical education.

@skye724 Based on the opinion of most I know, Packers are also their favorite. Free Ballet, Nice.

@NoMagicCookie The only issue arose when I thought all ballet was as awesome as American Ballet Theatre! But it was an awesome treat to see Baryshnikov in person so many times. A true lifetime pleasure.

@skye724 Live, I've seen somewhat good and 2nd rate Ballet. Huge difference between what you have seen. Like comparing a high school marching band to a professional orchestra.

@NoMagicCookie I understand that the Portland Ballet is pretty awesome - I'm headed down there (I'm in Bellingham, WA) in September, and I think I may score some tickets. I miss the ballet.

"Older men want a nurse or a purse," my mother said at 53.

Mom started dating two years after my father died. Mom and Dad were high school sweethearts who eloped at age 17.

Oh BS, I don't want or need a nurse and don't need a purse. I also don't need/ want a "grandma" lots of living and adventures yet before they run me through the wood chipper.

@GlenPoss

That's what my mother said, not me.

Completely understand. Try being a BBW poly pansexual dominatrix

I'm 67 and having fun dating.
I love the adventure.
Most of the time we end up just being friends, but we had fun getting there.

Photog Level 4 July 12, 2018

Was born in 1950, been divorced since 1983. Live in a county in Texas where 80% of voters voted for Trump. Things are going to start looking up for me...any day now. No hurry. I'm retired, have enough to live on, my house and car are paid for, my dogs love me, and my health is holding up, so far. If I find someone, I find someone. Until then...

@Boogey Like deja vu...all over again. I believe that's a Yogi Berra quote. Yogi also once said that he never said all they said he said. The anniversary of my birth is the anniversary of JFK's death.

@Boogey That's a yogi-like quote.

He also said, "no one goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

You speak well ,

Having atheist in your profile is a killer. Unless it's my photo 🙂

I had a total player, who was very devout... bizarrely, try to tell me I HAD to state in my profiles that I was...

"A GOOD CHRISTIAN MAN"

He guaranteed me, this was all I really had to state... "They'll lap it up!" His whole thing was about how many women he could bed a week for a few years. He couldn't wrap his head around me telling him I wasn't going to lie on my profile. By the way his target female group was the over 50 crowd. I'd show him someone 47 I thought was attractive and interesting and his opinion was invariably...

"Why are you looking at her? She's 47, she still thinks she has it going on! Find someone over 50, they're more desperate!"

Well, just to let you know that it's not impossible, I got re-married at 52. Hang in there.

Orbit Level 7 July 2, 2018

Baggage, set in their ways with little room to change. No longer trainable. Lack of sound health. Way too many pills to stay alive.

It's a minefield, ha ha.

Have you given any serious consideration toward bestiality?

Oh wait, that's a guy thing. Never mind...

guys plus Katherine the Great.

@andygee It is not true about the great Russian leader Catherine. Women are denegrated throughout history for great success & sexually denegrating her is the easiest & and most lascivious. Unless you were joking.....then never mind.

@Countrywoman Well, I hadn't given the story any thought until my Social Studies teacher in high school 40 years ago brought it up as an exercise in historicity. He laid out whaever documentary evidence existed. There was a picture of the block and tackle. Having seen breeding barns myself, I tended to doubt the story, but I really have no informed opinion either way.

@andygee, I think bestiality is one of the last great prejudices that society will eventually overcome.

We shall overcome! (Or as the donkeys say, "Ney nay whinnee nay whinnee!" )

I guess it depends on what you would like in a relationship after 50

Maybe basic companionship,the ability to co-exist without anger and animosity, a marriage of convenience perhaps?

I have much better experience in Asia. Hoping to marry and move over next year...

The biggest problem is that all the best guys, like me, have been snapped up! (What do you mean, "big head"? It's quite average.)
Perhaps you'll have to find one to "borrow", then give back befire he has shirts to iron, etc. 🙂 lol

Madam, I just joined this forum. I don’t have much to say about who is looking for what here. I am sorry that you’ve reached the conclusion that you have. But I am certain that I do not fit within those disfavored categories that you’ve identified.

That's refreshing!

Not such a problem out here in California- at least close to population centers. As you get into the sticks there is a defined Trumpishness. As to the religious aspect, some of those people really like to sin.

Maybe you are trying to hard ? Just say f..k em all and see what happens ?

I couldn't have said it any better myself. It's just so true.

I realized last year that I had been looking for a caregiver, and how wrong my expectations were. I think if you find a man like that, they can be cured... I was.

I think after 50 is getting harder to find someone who appreciate better things in life
I am 54 and have trouble finding someone to share our journey together. I keep myself busy being active and keep trying knowing that the universe works in a mysterious way. If you are sincere honest hard working active individual and know how to respect others you will eventually find your other half.
I will keep trying and I know I will eventually find somebody to share our journey together.
Meantime I make sure that I keep helping others in any way I can and make a positive impact in life.
This group is awesome so feel free to freind me

Rosh Level 7 Mar 29, 2018

I'll pass on the vibrator bit, have no problem having a gay friend, and the rest of it, I COULDN"T AGREE MORE!!!!

lmao It seemed a perfectly reasonable enquiry until the last line! I'd love to help but may just have to send you some batteries 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.