Agnostic.com

341 197

Dating after 50

Is it just me, or is dating after 50 a nightmare?

It seems like almost everyone is so religious, which narrows the pool significantly.

Then out of those who are left the majority fall into one of these categories: looking for a nurse/care giver,
looking for someone MUCH younger to recapture their youth or REPUBLICAN

Then of the 10 people in your region that are left...you don't like 5 and the other 5 don't like you.

OYE! I think I just need a gay best friend to do things with and a new vibrator.

Crimson67 8 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

341 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Gays are much easier to get along with because there is no real expectation. When adding the possibility of sex it get very complicated. Yet isn't that a good place for lonely people. Sex after fifty is so much better. Except for the aches and pains.

Frankly the market doesn't look much brighter at 30, just the people are looking for different, although not altogether better things in a partner. Honestly I think we broke society and socialization as a species and I wish us luck for the future.

As there are almost no atheists (my absolute minimum standard for a potential relationship) in my area, I long ago gave up the prospect of finding a worthy (rational) partner. Haven't tried a "dating site" for years but in this group there is no female active in the last months and a half within this state. (within hundreds of miles)

Think it is a different world if you are a theist. Last night I screened two movies (I built a movie theater that seats 21+ in the basement) with a small group of two couples, both over 50, divorced and actively dating. All theists. Both of the women were single and not involved (one just moved to town) a few months ago and managed to find a theist to . . . "Too Much Information - - make the couch vibrate" - quote form one of the guests last night - - - was screening "Dunkirk" and the furniture does move when bombs go off.

Do I consider the prospect of living my life alone a hardship? Although it would be nice to share life's joys, not really. By observing the outcomes of some of the (once married) theist teachers I work with, I have witnessed many relationships that provided more harm then good.

If you think 50 is difficult, try 60! I just "met" two men back to back, who I was pretty compatible with on the phone but when we talked about the possibility of taking the next step, a big problem reared its head. Both had extensive physical ailments which made relationships difficult. Guy #1 had had a kidney transplant and kidney disease ran in his family. He is fairly healthy but tires easily, can't stand on his feet for long, and felt sure that he'd need another transplant some day. We didnt get past the phone calls.
Guy #2 and I talked for hours by phone and it was great. He has my sense of humor, is as chatty as I am, and I really sparked with this guy! He also had some physical ailments but he didnt tell me the gist of them until we met for lunch: diabetes, heart trouble, but the worst was that he had had extensive back surgery, and he also couldnt walk long distances or stand on his feet for long. He walks with a slight stoop, has balance issues, etc.
I'm not a "super-senior", defined by me as those slim, smiling, silver-haired couples in ads that go hang-gliding and zip lining so that they don't feel or look "old" 🙂, but I'm pretty active so I knew it wouldnt work out. Problem was, I REALLY liked this guy. Sigh...but physical ailments played a part in the breakup of my last relationship so I already know what lies down that road.
Sighhhhhhh... Ive got minor physical issues, as do many over 60, but these things were a bridge too far. I'm starting to wonder if I should ask for medical records before I decide to date someone! 🙂

Yup! I understand!

I can relate..I'm a dancer and men my age (66) just don't get excited by the idea of going out dancing on a date.. I pretty much have to beg my girlfriends as well..looks like I'm stuck with the dog !

Date younger men!

I have a lady friend who I compare dating notes with: She is 63, lives in Parkersburg, WVA and runs into guy after guy who is not able to climb the mountain anymore due to a variety of mostly medical issues. I am still active at 67 and I guess I should thank the big sky god...(lol) that I am not in that category. It is very frustrating for her. And three different women I have gone out on a first date with in the past year tell me very fast that they have not had sex for X amount of years, nor do they ever plan on having it, that is is just for young folks, and that they are just looking for companionship. Sigh. I have not given up but my optimism is fading.

I am not even 50 and I am the pretty young vibrant non white immigrant and I agree with you. I have been lecturing guys from the time I am in my 20's, And all those comfort wives, good wives need to stop lying and get a real job that produce. I pay for both section 8 and the comfort wives. These women even call working women less of a women. No matter what the religion pull stirng to get the corporate cushy jobs, enjoying corporate travels, while getting workers to slaves.

Arshi Level 5 Aug 2, 2018

I just turned 70, he is 73. We plan on taking ballroom dance lessons starting next week (hilarious because I am the biggest klutz you will ever meet, and outweigh him by about 100 lbs). We go to karaoke several times a week. I chose him over a 52-year old. I do not think we will ever live together.....set in my ways, I want the remote! Yes to the vibrator too! And gay friends are Great! All I wanted, really was a guy to hang out with.....i worked alongside men most of my life.....But, It is, most times, the exact same feeling like we are 22....which i find amazing! Maybe even better because time could be short. I know how very very lucky i am............

Good for you!

Yes and No. I know myself better than I ever have before. I've had enough experience to know what I want, what I don't want, and why. There are lots of atheists in and around Seattle so that's not an issue. I don't date religious women, Republicans, Trump supporters, women too much younger, or women with young kids. This still leaves a large number of possible matches.

I don't think your issue is age. It is living in a red state and/or not in a big metro area. You need a bigger pool of potential dates.

I find that many people over 50 have “old” mindsets that exclude new sexual attitudes. Life is too short to be stuck in a chastity belt designed in the 50s

I find that age-ism is rampant - particularly among older people. There's no set, certain way to act in your 50's or 60's - and I stay completely away from online dating sites with a particular age group in mind. People who are willing to categorize themselves by age have already put blinders on, and can only see things through a certain filter.

It's tiresome - we present ourselves as being open-minded, and then I see and hear older people relentlessly categorize themselves and others by age.

I want to get to know people from 20 to 80, and throw fucking labels out the window. When I see a homogeneous group of old people or young people or middle-aged people or white people or any other kind of people, I get so bored that I just hang out with my dog and take great hikes in my beloved Pacific Northwest.

Rant ends.

Good rant. Reminds me of a chat I had last week with one of our school's (age 60ish) custodians. He showed me a photo of a twenty-somehing Russian that he encountered (part of a tourism group) they and had many social outings with) last year. He noted to her they should not spend so much time together because of the age difference but she noted in Russia, age is not an issue. She Texts him every night and he returns her calls. . .

@NoMagicCookie To have an open mind and heart, to truly listen to someone, to hear without preconceived notions and trust myself enough to know what's best for me. Not how old someone is, or what color their skin is, or even where they fall on the gender spectrum. We are - especially here on this forum - exposed to so many different intellectual and imaginative discourse. BTW - Love Green Bay. I am a Packers fan, and am ready for the new season with Aaron Rodgers, healthy, on the field. Especially with the new defensive coordinator in the saddle...

@skye724 I completely agree with everything you noted except (trivial) the "Packers fan" as professional athletics are not a part of my world.

@NoMagicCookie When I moved to New York City after college, my roommate and I didn't have two nickels to rub together. She was a freelance writer for Sports Illustrated and Ballet World. Seriously. And her grandmother gave us a TV as a housewarming gift. So, on Sundays, she taught me how to watch football, and I got hooked. Hence my love for the Packers. She also got frequent ballet tickets for free. So I learned about Baryshnikov and the NFL all at once. Gotta love practical education.

@skye724 Based on the opinion of most I know, Packers are also their favorite. Free Ballet, Nice.

@NoMagicCookie The only issue arose when I thought all ballet was as awesome as American Ballet Theatre! But it was an awesome treat to see Baryshnikov in person so many times. A true lifetime pleasure.

@skye724 Live, I've seen somewhat good and 2nd rate Ballet. Huge difference between what you have seen. Like comparing a high school marching band to a professional orchestra.

@NoMagicCookie I understand that the Portland Ballet is pretty awesome - I'm headed down there (I'm in Bellingham, WA) in September, and I think I may score some tickets. I miss the ballet.

No it is a nightmare

There are more non religious people out there than what one may think. I saw several years ago a statistics saying that 15% of the population are either atheists or agnostic. They just play it cool and do not make any waves about this. I am an atheist for most of my life. I do not make too many waves about this as I do not want repercusions that may affect my daughter. Good luck with your vibrator and wish you the best.

how is it fair for the rest of us as you wish your daughter to be the comfort wife or religion. We are not human. Religion is about money and its still go around destroying the world to get what they want.

It is. Men and women have issues and to me it seems everyone is so self centered they have no intention of really wanting to know you. So many people have superficial goals and that's it. I feel very lonely, but always end up better alone. Open to answers.

Dating generally is a nightmare. My friends in their thirties and forties have a long list of complaints as well. Dating after fifty as a nonmonogamous male is that much higher a level of difficulty. I try look at it as trying find cool people get know and if it moves beyond that, bonus.

I feel your pain. I think many older people use religion as a crutch to make themselves feel better about getting older and facing mortality. I'm an agnostic, liberal, free thinking woman, and I would rather be alone than to settle for someone who can't respect my beliefs. I will you success. Be patient, there are plenty of us out there!

I've not had a difficult time meeting women over 50 who aren't batshit crazy. But I look younger than my age, and act younger, too. Plus they tell me I'm reasonably attractive (I don't see it) and I have other... er... physical attributes that my GFs appreciate. <blush>

Dating is a nightmare. I narrowed the pool by putting down no trumpsters. After a few years I finally found someone. Really didn’t think anyone existed for me. If it can happen to me it can happen to you

jab60 Level 6 July 27, 2018

Oh it sucks for sure, and if you are atheist and " not into kids" you are really a blue cow.

Oh it sucks for sure, and if you are atheist and " not into kids" you are really a blue cow.

I'm thinking "catch 22", you can't have it until you don't want it. How many have found a great relationship after giving up and stopped the search? I'm at the point where if the perfect relationship were right in front of me I'd turn and walk away. It won't be perfect for long.

As we age, we become settled and on the path to enlightenment. Our children are grown and our values have changed. I got tired of settling and getting dumped because my belief got in the way. This site could make a difference in many of our lives. I'm an introvert and when it comes to dating I don't want to go out, I want to go in. lol. many still have fears that need to be soothed before stepping out again. Just open yourself up and someone will come along.

"Older men want a nurse or a purse," my mother said at 53.

Mom started dating two years after my father died. Mom and Dad were high school sweethearts who eloped at age 17.

Oh BS, I don't want or need a nurse and don't need a purse. I also don't need/ want a "grandma" lots of living and adventures yet before they run me through the wood chipper.

@GlenPoss

That's what my mother said, not me.

LOL...your in Kentucky. I think it's hard to find someone like yourself there. I'm having the same issue here so it's off to the west coast for me soon.

That was funny. I'm 47. No plans of another relationship. Which means it's bound to happen.

I think having dismal expectations give dismal results. Not that having a great vibrator or toy isn't a good thing, with or without a partner to have sex with.
If you are open to meeting an exciting, loving man that you are attracted to, it's quite possible you will align with a good fit.

I think I've totally given up. all the guys that interest me are far away geographically. and being an introvert does not make this easier

808nyx Level 4 July 20, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.