Agnostic.com

341 197

Dating after 50

Is it just me, or is dating after 50 a nightmare?

It seems like almost everyone is so religious, which narrows the pool significantly.

Then out of those who are left the majority fall into one of these categories: looking for a nurse/care giver,
looking for someone MUCH younger to recapture their youth or REPUBLICAN

Then of the 10 people in your region that are left...you don't like 5 and the other 5 don't like you.

OYE! I think I just need a gay best friend to do things with and a new vibrator.

Crimson67 8 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

341 comments (201 - 225)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe you are trying to hard ? Just say f..k em all and see what happens ?

I couldn't have said it any better myself. It's just so true.

Practical.

I realized last year that I had been looking for a caregiver, and how wrong my expectations were. I think if you find a man like that, they can be cured... I was.

It sure does seem to be a numbers game. Though I feel and act 20 years younger than I am, I am often surprised when I don't get a reply from a guy whose many interests I share. Moreah

I do identify here. I'm 71 and think I am 50. Maybe younger even in my head. My last ex of 12 years is 38. My life consists of doing little things that I want to do and it is much like it always was except that I'm now getting older. I'm not into keeping up with neighbors, car or house, and if you don't like me that's fine. Move on. I'm a kid inside this body just like I always was but today I'm more responsible. I do not want to impress anyone. Maybe myself. If you are similar or maybe can go with this idea we might be a match.

I’m pretty convinced that when people take responsibility for their own happiness, and can look at another human being and see qualities in them that inspire them to want to be with them, good things happen. Most of the time we are consumed with how another makes us feel and we get stuck and don’t adjust with the changes life brings. If one finds a place in life where they hit their stride run with it. As I continue to see my true self , I am convinced that I do want to come across a woman that I can be with that is a lover of life , that is transparent with conversation and their feelings. It took me two years after I asked the question: what is Love , what is it to be in love ? To see it. If I run across it great, if not than that is okay too . Any way I guess it is difficult to find people to date 50 and over ,but I keep myself open to the possibility, as I do other things in my life.

Ha ha ha.. well, I am 54 and lonely like you wouldn't believe. Your post did put a big smile on my face. So, a gay friend and a vibrator is the option for a female, what is it for me then? A lesbian friend and a.....a....a... am out of words here. In a serious note, still hoping to find the right person to spend nice time with... Cheers

To avoid kissing frogs might call for going out to sea.

By screening for sexual potential as prerequisite, I think we can miss knowing some fascinating people; while still keeping gay friends, being open to later possibilities for intimacy growing out of friendships and still keeping a vibrator. 😉

It has been a nightmare... When my partner of many years passed away, I thought I would like to be alone, but just not my nature... So, on the advice of a friend, I decided to try a couple dating sites.... It is my belief that there aren't many men who would fit the bill that most women require for even dating... I guess I am an oddball....don't like sports, nascar, zombies, wine tasting tours or cigars...I do not have an athletic toned body or have a desire/ability to hike off into the wilderness for countless miles anymore....Most are looking for men with big salaries who like to jet set all over the Carribbean....After a while, am left feeling like a leper with nothing to offer... Having a big paycheck is cool, but not owing a dime to anyone & owning everything you have outright doesn't count for much...If you make $80K a year, but it takes you $70 K to pay all the payments, who is better off ? I have come to the conclusion that I am gonna live out my years alone, better to be alone than in a bad relationship...

I think after 50 is getting harder to find someone who appreciate better things in life
I am 54 and have trouble finding someone to share our journey together. I keep myself busy being active and keep trying knowing that the universe works in a mysterious way. If you are sincere honest hard working active individual and know how to respect others you will eventually find your other half.
I will keep trying and I know I will eventually find somebody to share our journey together.
Meantime I make sure that I keep helping others in any way I can and make a positive impact in life.
This group is awesome so feel free to freind me

Rosh Level 7 Mar 29, 2018

I turn 50 in August, it doesn't look promising.

JimG Level 8 Mar 28, 2018

JimG don't give up hope be happy

I have found all the same issues ! FleshLight works fairly well for me!

The grandest relationship we'll ever have in life is with ourselves.

So true what is life if not with oneself

I'll pass on the vibrator bit, have no problem having a gay friend, and the rest of it, I COULDN"T AGREE MORE!!!!

I am in such a different place. I'm in my mid-50's and stayed away from dating, relationships, and even casual connections for over 30 years. A combination of trauma, mental illness, and personal setbacks where I would not even consider getting close to anyone romantically or physically. I had been slowly moving to overcome all this, when everything changed drastically a little over a year ago, an illness that turned my world upside-down and woke me up in ways I couldn't have imagined.

Happy for your wakeing upidness and that you are in a different place. I am, too. 😉

lmao It seemed a perfectly reasonable enquiry until the last line! I'd love to help but may just have to send you some batteries 🙂

I feel your pain. I’m an atheist, non-smoking, liberal who doesn’t hunt or fish, and I love in the middle of KY! And I am 53 years old. It also hurts that I have the energy of people half my age. Friends my age are talking about their upcoming retirements and I am talking about spending the day in an art gallery or museum.

Good on you you are only old as you feel old enjoy the journey

A quick after 50 dating story:

My grandmother died when she was around 60.

My grandfather quickly remarried a dreadful gold-digger and spent a few decades with her (he seamed to be ok making her happy all the time) before she kicked the bucket.

Sortly after his 2nd wife died in his mid 80’s he found a caring and bright widowed woman withing (+-10 years or so ) his age bracket. They traveled the world together and she even moved in with him (until her children/grandchildren (Catholics) told her that was a sin to live with or go on trips with another man as this would anger her dead 1st husband who was waiting for her in heaven).

Before her children condemned their relationship, their “Puppy Love” was cute, they held hands all the time, smiled at each other and kissed on the lips and expressed a great interest in sharing their lives together. Eventually they both wound up in the same retirement home (different rooms on the opposite side of the complex) and, to keep her children happy, were careful not to be caught showing affection towards each other.

Crimson you nailed it! LMBO!

It sounds like you have come up with a solution to your problem. Good for you. 🙂

I was going to say try being in Texas but then noticed your in E town KY.
I’ve always had a hard time finding someone, I’m just glad it didn’t take as long to find my second husband as it did my first.
Try finding a guy at 35 that still wants kids. In Texas, and you’re a liberal Atheist.
Second time, try finding someone that doesn’t mind that you’re 45 and have a 9 year old.
But I did find my present (2nd) husband fairly quickly on Match and he’s a couple years younger and his younger son is only a couple of years older than my son. So it does happen.

I've read this post twice. I think I can just about agree with all of it. One thing I find is people that want you to entertain them. Now what is that all about? You know the type. You wake up in the morning and they ask immediately "what are we going to do today?"

This is brand new to me. I'm 61, and having been married to the man I very recently divorced since I was 44, have not even attempted dating yet. I have plenty of gay friends, too. I do recommend a vibrator... even if you do eventually meet the partner of your dreams.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 17, 2018

I am nearly seventy have a partner emotionally attached by not sexually I rather believ we see to our own needs but I have never questioned him nor he me - Content with companionship.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.