Agnostic.com

341 197

Dating after 50

Is it just me, or is dating after 50 a nightmare?

It seems like almost everyone is so religious, which narrows the pool significantly.

Then out of those who are left the majority fall into one of these categories: looking for a nurse/care giver,
looking for someone MUCH younger to recapture their youth or REPUBLICAN

Then of the 10 people in your region that are left...you don't like 5 and the other 5 don't like you.

OYE! I think I just need a gay best friend to do things with and a new vibrator.

Crimson67 8 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

341 comments (276 - 300)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Damn, I hate hearing that...
My wife and I just seperated on very peaceful terms and I havent even asked anyone out on a date yet.

I'm over 50 and have been single for over a year now. What I don't understand, is why I even care about dating at this time in my life. I've done all the good wifie stuff, raised my children, and buried my parents etc. So now I really, really like being on my own, yet I still have emotional and physical feelings for men. You'd think I'd had enough by now 🙂

ags2 Level 5 Feb 7, 2018

I think one gets used to being in relationships. Even if it's someone to say, "Hey check this out," and share something cute or amusing of infuriating. I live in a house with other people, and my daughter's still here, but it's not the same. Other than a few years in my 40s when I was unable to care for myself, and didn't want to put that burden on someone new, this is the longest I've gone without being in a relationship. My art keeps me in my head for long periods, and it's nice to ground to Earth.

Hope springs eternal. I've been in a situation where it's easy to believe that I'd never find love again. I think that you just remain open minded. You live your life but leave enough space for someone to come along. This is something that can change overnight. If you think about it, there's really no reason to shut out the idea of finding a mate again.

Haha there is some of that with me, too. I keep waiting to no longer desire women!! But of course it never happens.....

As much as I think it would be fun to "mingle" the thought does terrify me. Maybe I can be someone's "gay" friend.

Hmm... ok, let’s say you are one of those ten in my region. Would I like you?

Oh, if you live in a smallish community, another problem is, of the 10 left, 5 are ex lovers of yours. Why answering to anonymous date thingies in the paper or so would really be taking a gamble ... "Oh no, not YOU!"

Remember “Pi?a Colada”? That was a good one!! : )

@Rodatheist no, it does not ring a bell, sorry ....

It is a song from the late 70s. Rupert Holmes. The actual name of the song was Escape and is about a guy that is bored of his ”old lady” and publishes an add in the personals section that says “"If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain, If you´re not into yoga, if you have half a brain, If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape, I´m the love that you´ve looked for, write to me, and escape"… So he gets a response and he goes on a blind date and when they meet at the restaurant he said “oh, it’s you”. She was his “old lady” and he ends saying “I didn’t know you liked all these things” and so they escape together.

@Rodatheist
funny.

Hahah, and here was I thinking it is a nightmare because everyone else is as old as you are! I sometimes get a fright when I see friends from way back how they have aged, and then I remember, yes, me too. Of course. ( don't feel like it on the inside, but look like it and feel it when I try to jump over a fence or something like it) PS: Vaseline is the best anti wrinkle cream. You cover your bathroom mirror with it!

Re reading the comments because I was bored, I realized that since the 70's I had only "hunted" in only one venue... Dance Floor Clubs, Bars with too loud music to talk. I refused seeking in work venues. Too close for comfort. Or being fixed. I liked the hunt. All this is New to me. I am going dancing tonight. Because that is what I do... what I know. Still works for me. I am were there is a 50 and over crowd of dancers large enough and that haven't see me for over 8 years at least so to the new in the city I am fresh meat until they try to introduce me to their friends and then come the I know you... To everyone, don't give up. Re-invent yourself or change your venue or expand your area of search but don't give up. And do not lower your standards. Your standards should move and slide lateral with your age.

The part of your comment that is worth all its electronic bits in gold is “don’t lower your standards”. Never! If you give in to a moment of weakness just because nothing worthwhile has come your way lately, you will end up with a colossal waste of time (and at 50+ we don’t have much of it to waste). The best part of being of this age is to find the advantages that a good book and a good glass of wine have when compared to the company of some people.

@Rodatheist Yep my biggest fear when I was in my 20's. What are we going to do for tail in our 40's? First reaction and answer was... prostitution. How ignorant and naive we were at that age! Prostitution never been an answer for me. And I got more tail on my 40's than in any other age in my life and that included high school and college. But my standards were never lowered. I may end up hunting in a nursing home but I will have a blast doing it like always because it was and always been the hunt. The ladies will always notice your standards and to quote a phrase from Seinfeld's Elaine Bettis.... "they will know if your are sponge worthy or not".

lol I hear ya. Most are so set in their ways, there isn't even a glimmer of hope for them to maybe consider anything outside their comfort zone. Granted, we all our ways of doing things but who doesn't like a bit of adventure~~ It's like you hit a certain age and society thinks you need to change kind of clothes you like, the music you are into, dam near everything.

Well, yes, older people (they) are set in their ways, but so are we, the 50+ that are looking. And yes, you can “re-invent” yourself, but how long will that last. We have to be ourselves at some point; otherwise it is unfair to others, and most importantly, to ourselves. The truth is that there are thousands of us 50+ and to say that the list in the end boils down to ten, is rhetorically funny but it only means we should continue looking. And in the meantime, stock up on good books and good wine.

I definitely feel your pain I think it's even worse for a black guy trying to date black women that are nonbelievers they're like unicorns. I've been single for about 2 years and I've only met three black women that are atheist or agnostic and two of them were let's just say in an alternate universe I do date other races that's not an issue just haven't found many compatible non-believers

I just posted about this. Im still getting comfortable sharing this upon meeting someone new.

I don't know about dating over 50. I was going to ask some others and see what they say. I have not been out on a date in many years. The thought fills me with anxiety. I have no willingess to turn into a gumpy old maid, but does anyone have any stories about dating they would share? Thanks.

I recently thought I had a possible match (Yes, it was from Match) and after texting and talking and Skyping, we were set to have coffee, when she sent me a message that she couldn’t see me because I’m an atheist. “Atheist” was on my profile. Hers said she had no religious preference. It was very weird.

She claimed to have been an atheist and her family were atheists and that the lifestyle was not for her. “Lifestyle”? She said that all atheists worshipped something, maybe a dog or their Mom or the TV. It was bizarre. I really came to the conclusion she must be in some odd cult.

After hearing enough of this - and, strangely, she wouldn’t tell me her religion- I told her it was fine, that I don’t date bigots. She did not take that well or seem to understand how it could be bigotry.

Oh man! That really stinks. The truth is that you are better off with that person gone from your life. I suppose it is the waste of time and effort that hurts more in the end.

Totally nailed it! I have quit looking. Of course I live in Los Angeles where everyone's outsides match their insides Fake! I work in Radio and I get to go to all the music events I can handle plus I never have to consult with anyone about where and what I'm doing. Totally selfish! Plus I get to sleep around!!

The thing that has always worked when it comes to dating and meeting new people is not to try. Every significant relationship including my marriage I met them when I wasn't actively looking. When I try, I look like a fool as I am no Don Juan.

LOVE this post! But then again, I been in love with metal since the 70's/80's. 🙂

just get a vibrator and a dog but yes you are quite correct

Wow! Its hard for me to comprehend this. You are some beautiful ladies.

Tough post to respond to objectively... experiences vary soooo much, as do our ages.
I started dating again after divorce at age 49... (1970) was ok for few years, unfortunately... seemed “most” women wanted “security” (marriage) in short term. (shit, 47 years ago)
Honestly, to me (and I’m pleased) women have advanced “50/60 years in the last 10 years”... seriously, it’s great... unfortunately, men have advanced “ “6 to 12” months in the same time frame... without the structure of marriage or a “solid long term relationship”, men flounder.
Sorry men, it’s true (majority). Think about it... immaturity... PlayStation, gaming... add insecurity... damn, we’re no longer the prize... but we still think we are.
Now, some women may not have advanced
at the same rate... still look for and find men that think they are the “big prize”.
You’re absolutely correct the “pool” is limited for “compatible mates”... not saying we should settle for less, but... we’ve been alarmed by extremism’s, maybe setting up barriers... ?
“... then of the 10 people in your region that are left... “ small pool, barriers.
For the first time in my life I live in a small suburban town of a small city (Tucson)... limits.
I don’t know how to finish... cept, not looking for nurse w a purse... and I don’t think “most men” on this site (and others) aren’t either...
I think today most women can be and should be very direct when meeting (interviewing) men on a first or second date about intentions, wants, needs, wishes...
My problem is I judge people by my own standards...

Tomas Level 7 Jan 22, 2018

@tomas, Are you really 96? You seriously don't look like you could be!

@BlueWave ...must have had a cocktail while writing... currently 75, most people think I’m 64/65, good genes

It seems that when I go on dating sites, all I get are religious nuts on one end of the spectrum and guys who want nothing more than a one night stand on the other. Sometimes they are both...LOL. I'm over 50 and dating has been a big zero so far.

a wing person is key !

I live just North of Seattle. There are lots of non-religious women around. The biggest issue is finding mutual attraction with someone in a similar

The edit button isn't working for me... The biggest issue is finding mutual attraction with someone in a similar financial position who is sarcastic, smart, and well educated.

I've never heard the nurses with purses thing. Except for one relationship, I am always the ATM machine so that stuff cuts both ways.

The dating process is frustrating but I haven't given up.

I am soon to exit my 50s, and yes, they are much harder than in my 40s. Fewer compatible people, but then I have let myself go as well. And I am really set in my ways now, people have to take me as I am. I have many female acquaintances of all ages, no shortage of people to have a meal, coffee, movie, bush walk with. But nothing more,

I find it hard because I am kind of set in my ways. I do like your comment "looking for someone MUCH younger to recapture their youth". I know men that do just that. Me, I realize my youth has left me and it ain't coming back. Looking for a much younger woman, would only give me a heart attack.

... but it’s worth it.

@Tomas That's funny.

I haven't been able to get as far as "dating" yet. I've been trying to think of something humorous to say about it but I'm dumfounded. Maybe there are invisible horns growing out of my head that only women can see.

I couldn’t get lucky in a woman’s prison with a handful of pardons...

I wouldn't know. I couldn't get a man if I was the only man on earth. Of course the fact that I only date men makes the problem that much worse.

You'd be relatively young for me... LOL!

Well, I'm 52 and my marriage is ending and I've been on a regular dating web site which is kind of scary with all of the Christians on it. That basically is what led me here. Luckily I feel that the Twin Cities, hopefully, has enough progressive, single 50 year old women who won't all run away upon meeting me!

You have 10 people in your region, wow, try dating when you live rural and the nearest woman you find on this site is either in another country or more than 800 kilometres away or both. I don't need either a nurse or a purse although I do find RN's sexy mostly because they are generally intelligent and don't put up with shit. I don't want someone that is young enough to be my daughter.
Hope still springs eternal though, somewhere there is someone out there.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.