Agnostic.com

341 197

Dating after 50

Is it just me, or is dating after 50 a nightmare?

It seems like almost everyone is so religious, which narrows the pool significantly.

Then out of those who are left the majority fall into one of these categories: looking for a nurse/care giver,
looking for someone MUCH younger to recapture their youth or REPUBLICAN

Then of the 10 people in your region that are left...you don't like 5 and the other 5 don't like you.

OYE! I think I just need a gay best friend to do things with and a new vibrator.

Crimson67 8 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

341 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've decided to primarily date younger men. Old guys whine too much.

Haha that's the truth. They also don't want to go out and have fun.

@Cindie Younger women do too! 😉

I feel for you. I will be 57 in May and I gave up on dating. I seemed to attract the mentals and by that I mean folks in serious need of a shrink and meds because they were not all right in the head. Two wanted to marry to get their hands on my farm, land is over $4K an acre where I live. I live in a super religious rural Republican area and all the really decent guys are take, are religious, Republican, drunk, wife abusers and users , I could go on. For now I just want to get my committments to farm and family leveled out and then if I meat someone great, if not, oh well...

Seems like a lot of fingers pointed outward and makes me wonder what you're are really looking for or expecting out of a relationship. At 50 most people have plenty of baggage of all kinds. What about finding people with similar interests or professionals in the same field (not the same office or even company) . Or just let the activities or interests happen first and perhaps the "dating" will follow. Good luck.

The ball is in court you decide what you want ,I think is not bad to do so even after 50 but have to be careful

You're 50 ? Wow 🙂 you look great !!

Throw in a small town in a rural area. The nearest city of any size is 3.5 hours, one way.

It's a nightmare. My classification of men at this point is that they all belong in one or more of 7 groups:
1.live too far away
2. too young
3. too old
4. married
5. gay
6. jerks

That's when you get to the 10 who are left, and...yes.

Gay best friends are the best! Not only are they fun, fierce, and dress better than most men, they give it to you straight (no pun intended)! I'm 52, and while I'm open to perhaps meeting someone, I have given up on finding anyone special, but will make the most of my life spending it with the person I do love best..........me!!

Sounds perfect to me!

Being new on the list, I sort of enjoyed the many comments. And being older, with many women on here preferring younger "men" - I'm wondering whether I should join all those both male and female that I should just give up and fade off with all the skeptics into the sunset. However, I've usually, in the last 35 years of so, had younger girlfriends. Yes, the last one was 18 years my junior. However, instead of joining "the" crowd, I'm probably going to hold the line and allow myself to be open to possibly good things that may come along. Oh, and yes, sometimes disappointments become very painful. However, I suppose I should learn to enjoy any pain that may come along. After all, when one can experience pain, one can also confirm that one is still alive. To be alive means more to experience, to enjoy, to have joy, to fly! I'll just take my chances. That's been my life - and so far - it's been AWESOME!.

It's tough but I still try????

Since I am a 70 year old man. Dose that mean with all the cougars on this site I will have to settle for an 80 year old lady looking for a boy toy?

dang.

I agree with you. I am 64, financially solvent, still attractive. But I have a hard time finding someone to date. The men my age seem old, and most of them have sexual problems, or are just too fat to attract me. The young men are immature, and most pass me over, anyway. The few women I've reached out to are suspicious, because I've been in a long marriage to a man. Plus, I am somewhat shy, don't like the bar scene, and travel a lot. How's that for complicating factors?

I think it's pretty sad that we've reached a point where so many people are so closed minded that they would let politics be a prohibiting factor in an otherwise perfectly viable partnership.
In a relationship where both people think the same way, one of you is unnecessary.

@Crimson67 the same could be said for those who ignored all of Clinton's misdeeds. The fact is that neither you, nor I nor anyone truly know anything even remotely related to the truth about Trump or Clinton. What we think we know is nothing more than what we've been spoon fed by the media and social media and choose to believe. The main difference between you and I is I know they're all full of shit. My last g/f was very liberal, but she wasn't a brain dead liberal. We managed to have rational conversations that led us to realize we had more in common than not, even though Im not a liberal. At some point, you might realize that this divisiveness is exactly what the powers behind the curtain want. And you're basing decisions on propoganda, not knowledge. Regardless of your party.

@Crimson67 I didn't mean to imply you did, (although I can see after re-reading my response that kind if did, sorry about that) I was just making a point. I didn't vote for either one myself. Im not a single issue voter, not for presidents or partners.

@Taijiguy There is a lot of difference in a Presidential blow job and a Presidential buffoon and moron.

@Sticks48 you really think I was referring to Bill? Oh you poor naive thing you.

I spent 11 years married to someone on the opposite political pole to me and yeah, living with someone day to day who has an utterly different view than you can really get old. I want peace of mind in my house. I don't want to cook dinner while being forced to listen to conservative talk shows telling lies at top volume while the person I TRY to love and respect sits there cackling in hateful glee. I guess part of the problem of dating after 50 is most of your mistakes have been made and you are determined not to make some of them again. So for the "oh you're so closed minded, try it you might like it" crowd - I did try it, I didn't like it, and I'd prefer being alone to living with Fox News on my TV polluting my life and my mind. And as an added detriment - sex with people full of fear and hate isn't anything to brag about either. Bad vibes all around. I'm not seeking an emotional/intellectual twin but, in psychic self-defense I have to draw the line at certain types of insanity/lifestyles/mindsets, and frankly, that's how I view conservatism these days - pure poison to myself and other living things.

Try dating over 70.

I don't know if I'm prepared to put the time in that I think dating would require. Being single again takes more time and effort. Previously there were two of us to do all the general everyday stuff such as cooking, cleaning, etc. And 2 incomes. Now I'm finding I have to work more hours to earn enough and spend more time dong household stuff. That doesn't leave me much time for 'chasing the ladies' 🙂 plus those tunes are not going to play themselves 🙂
So, sure, there are things I miss about not having a partner and should Uma Thurman show up at my door clutching a banjo I wouldn't turn her away 😉 its just not as important to me as it once was.

It is a nightmare

I just got back into dating after many years, I am living the very nightmare you describe.

I think you just about summed it up lol I would also add, and I'm not being sexist as I've only seen female profiles, there is usually of huge list of what they don't like, thus the bar is set so high it's no wonder they don't have anyone. The other one that amuses/irritates me is that prospective dates must be of a minimum height, I.e must be at least 5'10", not because they themselves are tall but because they obviously think this clearly filters out the twats.

@witchymom lol love the practicality and pragmatism, maybe i should try that......if I could be bothered 🙂

Not just women....scary sites....what are you meant to do....don't know anymore....

Dating had always been a nightmare at any age..it's just turning 50s that you realize all the pointless BS you dealt with when younger no longer applies..

Yup THIS! 🙂

It may be the region of the country in which I live, or it may be simply my gender. I have found the dating and my age is delightful.

To begin, women over 50 are far more interesting than their younger counterparts. They have experiences so, they have developed views over years and they have had the opportunity to travel, often raise families, and become more worldly.

Many of them have shed the inhibitions of Youth. Well they may have developed routines in their daily life often they are relatively open-minded and able to engage on a variety of topics in the variety of ways.

That is not to say that there are not bumps along the way and quite frankly, those who prove that there are significantly more horses asses than horses in the world.

Open your mind and your heart. You will find like-minded people when you least expect it.

I'm not Gay, but where does one sign up to be your friend?

Oh man I absolutely love that I will be 50 and single in 3 days. I was married for 26 years. Dating is awesome. It's all about your headspace and what you want or expect to.get out of it. Im not looking to replace my X. I'm taking my time and dating. Truly dating. I never did it before. I went from one relationship to the other. I eventually want to find a great person for me. Someone who has things in common with me. I've dated from 25 yrs old and up I don't care, different nationalities too. It's been great. You only live once might as well have fun. Short, tall, thin, heavy. Once you get rid if the box you put people in your world opens up. The only thing I require is they have to be smart, nice, cute to me, and not much older than I. I've even had a few good relationship come out of dating but no one perfect for me yet. I got lots of time. Oh and good music taste helps too. No country unless old country.

The nice thing about dating after 50 was, for me, you really didn't need to do the whole "being impressive" thing.I'm not talking about being a slob, but the fact that you both were where you were going to be in your life track, whether or not there was going to be a career up or down. And the "do you want family" thing was gone. And the pressures of dating was gone. If you ended up breaking the bed, yay! If there was no spark, you had a nice lunch or dinner.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.