Agnostic.com

49 7

Thoughts on kids? Have them? Want them? No!

I'm wondering if non-believers are less inclined to want children. So, where do you fall on the child wanting spectrum?

• 62 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 21 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 10 votes
silvereyes 8 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

49 comments (26 - 49)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe I'd have had a different answer if I knew 30 years ago what I know now!

Gary Level 4 Jan 10, 2018

I had to go through tons of red tape to get mine. The kids mom is schizophrenic and refused to put me on the birth certificates because I would not accept her religion or believe in the modern demigod or the supreme deity. She would not tell the hospital or authorities .that I was the father. Resulted to my kids going to foster care for 3 months until I could rescue them. Got social services on my side when I told them that I wanted the kids. The attorney on both sides were on my side the all thought it was honorable that a man would take responsibility for the children. So here I am almost 7 years later with 2 great kids. Best thing I have ever done.

I have a daughter. Unfortunately, I became the main parent because her mother could care less about her. I have no natural instincts on being a parent (I wanted to establish a friendship instead of a disciplined parent) and lots of mistakes were made). The one positive thing was that I was able to instill a need for emotion control in her which she still has to this day.

Grown kids 22 and 34. I'm a free spirit.

I mean I was never one of those women who was in awe when seeing a baby, but I could handle them, I guess, even though I never really saw myself as a mother while I have friends, whose biggest dreams was to be a mother and can’t have them. Life is so weird and backwards. I guess I can say sometime the Universe has other plans for people.

Until we actually start to take care of everyone in our society, I do nto plan to contribute 6to the surplus in population.

I think the world is over populated as it is and the population is so large that we are destroying the habitability of the planet faster than it can naturally recover.

I think religion is much to blame for the mess we have on this issue, so my vote is that non-believers are more inclined to do the logical and not have as many kids.

Having kids is pretty much an avocation that you pay for in a high outlay of time, money, and emotion, and it takes a skill set that not everyone has, yet religion keeps mandating it as a rite of passage in adulthood.

That may not have sounded like it, but I actually LOVE being a parent. I only had one biological child but, starting in 3rd grade, she accrued four friends for me to informally foster. Three of them have parents who were inept or abusive or both, so they’ve spent extended amounts of time living with me. They’re now all moving from college into the real world, and becoming friends as well as
daughters of the heart, and I love them dearly.

Perhaps their parents would have been better people had they not had children. Perhaps children would grow into better people if they were raised by people that really wanted them. Regardless, I cringe inside every time I hear, “When will you make me a grandmother?!?” Heck, go foster a child if you want the chance to spoil someone. Otherwise, stop pressuring people to have kids.

Never wanted any, couldn’t stand them.. Reached an age & stage where the drive was too compelling, so gave in, ending up with two. Any more, they’re right up there with my best work, and surely to surpass it in time… I’d suggest waiting until you feel compelled, not by time, but desire. If not, again, the world is not hurting for humans..

Varn Level 8 Jan 10, 2018

Did not plan on them, glad I do have mine...but is not for everyone...

One 29 year old daughter who is a preschool teacher and still lives at home .Very good daughter ,never had an ounce of trouble with her ,and am very fortunate.Wife and myself never wished to have more than one child and never regretted it .Most people have more children than they can afford

I can't have kids (I'm gay ) so adoption it is

I never wanted kids, but had an unplanned pregnancy, and felt it was my responsibility to do the best I could for that little one. He was the best mistake I ever made. He changed my life, and gave me a reason to do something with my life. I love my son more than anything else on this earth, even if he is a little preteen pain in the ass sometimes. lol

I am the father of a pehnomenal daughter who shares my love of all creatures. She is a Veterinarian and a member here.

I have 2 kids and 4 grandchildren and the latter are a hell of a lot more fun than the kids. It’s nice to have family around in your golden years especially the grandchildren.

I was originally against having kids in my late teens, early 20's. But I fell in love with a woman and we reproduced. I can't say I'm still in love as we split up. I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to.

They are the future of the human race.

Kids are great. In in the baby toddler stage and I admit they make me want to pull my hair out. But it will get better in time. They are close in age and love each other so much. I really never saw myself as mom but always as aunt Jess. But after having my own. I couldn't image life without them. Just take my advice wait till you are with someone you know 100% really loves you truly. Because I can only image how awesome that would be to have kids with someone who really loves you. Even after having kids.

Neither of mine were planned but when I divorced my ex-wife I fought tooth and nail to get custody of my boys because I don't want to imagine life without them in it. She only gets them every other weekend and every time they leave it breaks my heart and I end up sitting at home worrying and waiting for them to get back.

My "baby" is 26, and has a baby of her own. My oldest is 33 and will have her first child in May. The middle child says she will never have babies but is happy to be an Auntie. I always wanted to be a mom, and I mostly enjoyed raising my kids. They turned into amazing adults and are all doing pretty well. I think I done good and they've done good and being a grandmother is amazing.

I confess, I absolutely love children... especially with a nice Béarnaise Sauce. But they have to be prepared properly or they can get stringy and a bit sour tasting.

I chose other, because i tried for a while to no avail. now i am 38 and i don't know if i will live long enough to be there for all i would want to until he/she is done with high school? Damn i would be like 56- i live one day at a time now a days! Shit and i am single so that would complicate planning!

13 y old twins. I love them more than anything

13 y old twins. I love them more than anything

I have two daughters and nothing prepared me for the unconditional love I have for them both. I had to be involved with an abusive wife to do it but I wouldn't change a thing if meant not having my girls.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14069
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.