Agnostic.com

38 3

Popcorn, which way is the best?

How many different ways do you like your popcorn? I like mine the old-fashioned way cooked on top of the stove in a pan.

• 14 votes
  • 21 votes
  • 43 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 25 votes
Sheannutt 9 Aug 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The best popcorn I had as a kid was popped in bacon grease,just salty enough,to not need more,drive in's were popular in Iowa,where I grew up,so my Parents would pick out a good show,myself and two younger brothers would get our baths,get into pajamas,Mom would pop up enouh for two of the large paper bags and we'd load up our family car,and off we'd go,I remember grease stains on the popped bags.

We did the same thing, but my mom would nearly fill a plastic trash bag with popcorn (veg oil, not bacon grease) for the five of us. Sitting in the back of the station wagon in my jammies is one of my favorite memories. Wish I could have recreated that with my boys.

@dkp93 Maybe in the middle of America,there's still drive in's,I'm in Springfield Mo now,no mention of drive in's at all.Kinda sad,watching the screen,getting sleepy and curl under the blankets we brought along. Memories...

Did it in NJ, too. Not in bacon grease though. That sound positively delicious.
I miss drive-ins.

Sorry, forgot to answer the question.
Just salt, most of the time.
Sometimes, I like cheese popcorn.

What an awesome and delicious family memory!

Bacon grease popcorn was a staple in my house growing up!

In a pot on the stove.
Olive oil and 3 kernels heated till they pop.
Off heat, add kernels to cover the bottom
Cover and wait one minute off heat
Back on burner
All the kernels pop and No burning!
Add salt and a movie. 🙂

Candy corn balls made with cream and honey so they don't get hard or go bad.

It's hugely fun to make for not too young kids (given some supervision -- it does get cooked it to softball stage) and it's beyond addicting to eat. The holidays are only a few months away.

Movie theater popcorn!

Yes

Cover the bottom of the pan in veggie oil deep enough to almost cover the kernels, then let sister #3 take over. She also did excellent hot chocolate. 🙂

As kettle corn with salt and sugar 🙂

In popcorn pan over a campfire.

JiffyPop

I was just lamenting that I can't find JiffyPop anymore. Where can we get it?

@poetdi56
Jiffy Pop Butter-Flavored Popcorn, 4.5-Ounce Units (Pack of 24) [amazon.com]

@Gatovicolo My hero!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know why I didn't think of Amazon - I was just looking in the spot it was in at the grocery store. Old dogs can't learn new tricks. LOL

I have a special microwave popcorn bowl that works great. You can put in whatever oil you like, but it isn't necessary.

Yep best I've found except for over an open fire.

Popped on the stove in coconut oil, then sprinkled with salt and eaten with slices of really sharp cheddar cheese.

At the movie theatre straight out of the popper with real melted butter. Or else popcorn that is covered with that sugary glaze

@Sheannutt yes that is it!!! I love that stuff

Don't eat that crap, nothing good about it and it clogs your GI tract.

I pop mine on the stove with olive oil and add some salt.

I'd have to say movie popcorn with butter.
But otherwise I'm too lazy, i just do the microwave stuff.

However they make it at movie theaters (I'm guessing with lots of fake butter) is far and away the most addictive for me.

I have a stove top popcorn popper. No other way counts.

Any kind of popcorn that isn't burned or stale.

I buy GMO free. organic kernels, add oil into a heavy pot, and pop away on the stove. My toppings are salt, nutritional yeast, and Earth Balance vegan spread. Yum!

Nutritional yeast is so amazing. Are you vegan

@Melind I'm vegetarian, working towards vegan. I just saw the movie "Dominion" last week. If that doesn't turn you vegan, nothing will. I had seen "Earthlings" several years ago, which pushed me toward being a veggie. Long answer. Sorry!

@AzVixen52 No that’s a good start. I ate no meat, just dairy products for over 20 years and now am vegan for the last few years. It was an easy journey.since I wasn’t eating much of it anyway. My 3adult kids are vegan, it seems the right thing to do when there are so many alternatives and the protein thing has been debunked.

@AzVixen52 No that’s a good start. I ate no meat, just dairy products for over 20 years and now am vegan for the last few years. It was an easy journey.since I wasn’t eating much of it anyway. My 3adult kids are vegan, it seems the right thing to do when there are so many alternatives and the protein thing has been debunked.

Where do you buy the healthy kernels?

@AzVixen52 Ok. Just watched the trailer for Dominion. Not sure I can handle to movie, but I will give it a try. Probably not a popcorn movie.

@grasshopper it is if you don't use butter!?
You can get those kernels at Whole Foods or just about amy good grocery store.
P.s. I cried a few times watching the movie.

The best is on a stove in a pan, with plenty of salt and real butter...

The most convenient is probably microwave for hot, or from a bag if cold.

Although there has been some exceptions, most of the time popcorn belongs in the trash. Lol

Not a fan of popcorn. Yeah, I know, blasphemy from the Cornhusker state.

Campfire/fireplace popped.

Whirly Pop. Best ever for me!

Air popper....and then covered in nooch (nutritional yeast) and cracked pepper!

Movie theater. Mostly I just use an air popper with canola oil spray. It's good enough and much healthier.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:145608
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.