Agnostic.com

63 2

How does one go about being a polite atheist?

If, as an agnostic, atheist, non-believer, or especially anti-theist truly find folly in the belief of deities, spirits, fate, etc.; do you find it difficult to speak of your convictions to those that hold belief central to thier identity? What are some tactics you use to broach the subject as non-offensively as possible, (assuming it isn't inappropriate)?

menathuryn 4 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

63 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I try to be a polite human being first; being a polite heathen and anti-theist just follows.

i let them bring it up. those t-shirts can be awful tempting for them though.

I have been an atheist since age 13, when I realized the Bible is just a book of stories written by men. When a jackass Christian pressures me, I am clear and direct.

Through online dating, two Christian men met me to try to convert me.

"Martin Luther said there are no atheists," one man said triumphantly, as if that settled the matter.

"I don't care what a Catholic monk said 400 or 500 years ago!" I replied and laughed.

"I'm leaving now," I said and stood up. "Thank you for lunch. Goodbye."

In my first post, I addressed this issue. Forty-eight people commented.

"How can you be a moral person and be an atheist?

I was told there was no atheist in foxholes. I say we all are or else would not be ducking for cover.

when religion is not in the open

Try talking to other atheist, agnostic, free thinkers and avoid the others where possible. I don't visit mental institutions seeking conversational partners so why converse with the believers unless absolutely necessary? They have a history of persecuting those of us who can think and refuse to buy into their madness.

Whenever a conversation starts to feel like Team God vs Team Athiest I work to find common ground in topics that are not about the ultimate reality of existence.

Personally, I don't have much interest in being polite. The Bible is an evil book and I treat it as such.

Very much agree, but I will not be the one to bring up the subject.

How does one go about being a polite human being? Answer that one and the rest will fall into place.

Sometimes I cuss like a sailor but I am really a very nice and kind person. When it comes to being a polite atheist I'm pretty much like David Silverman.

Why broach the subject at all? People have the right to believe as they like, whether or not you approve.

I avoid religious people who preach at me, and ignore anything to do with the subject.

Why by rude to people? Plenty of those on this forum already, but I block them.

By the way, this website has a bit of a learning curve, so here's some info, in case you need it.

For members who are open to dating, certain thumbnails and profiles have a heart symbol on them with a percentage. This identifies which members are open to dating, and the percent shows approximately how compatible others are with them.

You gain website points by answering all the profile questions and writing a bio, which also earns website points, and helps other members get to know you.

Commenting on posts and writing your own posts earns more points. At level two you can private message people, and at level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

If you want to date, the website uses profile algorithms to find member matches, so the more details one includes, the better the match.

Many people prefer to see a written profile talking about interests, hobbies, and backgrounds that can be quickly perused to find others with similar interests..

In case you didn't know yet, to find members near you, click on the "Browse" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Click on the "Discuss" button, then "Nearby" to find members near you also.
Or click on the "About" button at the top left of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.
Points are now being given to level 3+ members who chat. You can see chat rooms on the group main page or at [agnostic.com].

I am courteous and polite. Being atheist has nothing to do with that. However, if religion is brought up, I simply say that I am an Atheist and I do not discuss religion. If that is not good enough, I end the conversation.

A polite atheist is one that isn't speaking up.

I treat people the way I want to be treated. I rarely have anyone ask me about religion, but if they do, I tell them I am atheist/pagan. If they ask me about it, I answer the question they ask. If they want to discuss it, I am fine with that. If they preach at me, or try to convert me, I tell them no thanks and walk away. I don't broach the subject. I would never try to convert anyone to my way of thinking, about religion. No need to be rude, manipulated, convert Christians, or be preached to.

I'm an atheist but not an anti-theist. Some people on here have been hurt by theism and are emotional when discussing it due to that. Personally I have not been hurt so I simply disagree. I don't offend anyone until they get deep into a discussion and want to know my opinion on their belief. Then we call Houston.

There's lots of times when I just save my breath. Not worth it a lot of the times.

True

I never bring it up, but if asked I will say "you don't want my opinion, I'm an atheist"
Usually however that is blood in the water and the blood wine sharks start circling, questions fly and I answer them.
Invariably it is the theist who gets angry first, and accuses me of being disrespectful, then of being a bigot and then tells me I'll know the truth when I am screaming for mercy while burning in hell.

If the mood takes me I will then say something to the effect that I wouldn't care to worship someone who would do that to me under any circumstances and I can only conclude they do so out of fear not love, and then leave.

I never bring it up. What would be the point?

Same

No. There's no point in trying not to be offensive.

I don't honestly think being an Atheist, or a believer has any bearing on being polite.
I've seen both.
I've known believer to be rude, and pushy and very impolite, I've also known some that are truly good people. The same thing applies to Atheists as well.

Humor

Don't be the first one to bring it up.

I get along with just about all religious people. I try to treat everyone with love and compassion. I figured I'd we try to treat everyone like human beings. There are some butt holes out there, I love those people too, lol. Sometimes it's just best to agree to disagree and walk away. No reason to lose your peace, on account of some close minded person ☺

I tried being a polite atheist, but people won't listen. It sucks being so disadvantaged, especially with this twisted administration emphasizing religion whenever possible.

Start by being polite to believers and non-believers alike. Don't seek to challenge the convictions of others in this regard, but remain firm in your convictions. Don't rise when baited by the religious because doing so will always provide fodder for their misconceptions of all atheists/agnostics as angry and tada! - you've just become Malfoy in every Harry Potter story

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:172246
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.