Agnostic.com

308 29

Should public nudity be legal?

The AANR (American Association for Nude Recreation) has the view that public nudity should be legal as long as the person is not doing anything with the intent of sexually arousing either themselves or anyone else.

The most stated reason by members is to get over "body shame", because doing so helps boost self esteem and confidence. There have been studies showing that children raised in nudist family have higher self esteem and confidence and are just generally more comfortable with who they are as a person.

On the other side there are those persons who seek out nude beaches and nudist events who have seual agendas. AANR nudist clubs don't tolerate such persons, and forcibly remove them shoudl they show up. I refer to such persons as "swingers" because they seem to fit the swinger lifestyle more than they do the nudist lifestyule

However, as a point of freedom. A freedom of expression, which does tno do harm to anyone, shoudl public nudity be legal? As atheists are nto burdened with religious mores , I was just wondering what the people here think?

I am a natuirst (nudist) and I have ridden the Portland (OR) World Naked Bike Ride, which has over 10,000 participants each year, and I have gone on nude hikes, visited clothing optional beaches

So, what are your thoughts?

snytiger6 9 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

308 comments (201 - 225)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Comedian Joe Wang quipped: "I don't approve of public nudity, but when it happens, I want to be there." lol

Geoff Level 5 Jan 26, 2018

That is funny.

Naturist/Nudist culture is nto about beign seen or seeing others though.

As long as it doesn't frighten the horses... Who cares?

I got a good little chuckle out of your answer.

No...I'd have to carry smelling salts around. I'd be the last one you'd ever want to see naked and I will continue to protect the public from my saggy, baggy body. Uck. BTW, I am an artist and have sat naked all my life so I'm no prude.

It would not be a mandatory thing. I just think the choice should be available, rather than someone else making choices for us.

Nudity should be legal. And sex in public should be legal, if you aren't endangering anyone.

If you see two animals humping in public, do you go over and kick them? No - you just don't get in their way and you leave them alone. Maybe watch, if you are looking for pointers. Same should apply to humans.

If you look at the letters of the original settlers of Jamestown (VA), the Native Americans had that attitude where public nudity and public sex were no big deal to them.

I have no moral objections to nudity. I just don't want to see ANYONE naked.

I like that you make a distinction.

As for myself, as long as a person is not doing anything with the intent of trying to sexually arouse either themselves or anyone else, I have no problem seeing other people naked.

I guess we all draw our own lines of comfortability in different places.

If people did not have a religious fanaticism over sex no one would be bonkers over being unclothed. If patriarchy did not rule, we would be relaxed and not trying to OWN women. Imagine being clothed only for the weather, or protection from nature. That would create a more blessed world. No more controlling and enslaving women, or men being taught that they must.

Yeah, the nudity laws are a lto harder on women than men... except in Arkansas, where I am told it is also illegal for men to go shirtless also. I seriously doubt such a lw is actually enforced though, so even there, women have it harder.

I don't see why not but clothes are quite handy for keeping warm, protecting from the elements and hiding those occaisional moments of inappropriate arousal 🙂

"Inappropriate"? Only by the church's definition.

What is "inappropriate", really? Society needs to get a grip on the whole "can't bear to even think about sexual reality". If society didn't have all the repressed sexuality issues, you wouldn't pop a boner when you saw a naked woman.

I think my 'popping a boner' may be due to evoloution or biology but I'm quite happy to blame the church for it, if it gets me out of trouble 😉

Yes, public nudity should be allowed. freedom of expression & such. also: I am sure that sleezy & sexually directed behaviour will actually decrease, should nudity become the new normal, for exactly that reason.

I agree with that. It might take a little while, but in the long run you would very likely prove to be correct.

I'm absolutely sure that I would frighten sensitive vegetarians and barnyard animals. The sole reason is I am not the "Olympian Ideal" of masculinity, but am OK with myself. Nudity is wonderful, until you try to fry bacon.

I once had a body that was considered "ideal". I had to exercise for at least three hours a day, at least for at least five days a week in order to just maintain it. Now, I just have an "average" body, which means no definition and some extra pounds in unflattering places. There really is nto much point in all that effort unless you make a living as a model.

Life is too short to be worried about what other people think about my current body condition. I am happy and comfortable with myself.

Nudity doesn't mean you lose your common sense. Protection where it's needed.

With you there, sometimes I cook shirtless and I am usually surprised how far hot oil can go!

In general we can say there are two genders. Everybody knows how the other gender looks like, so what reason is there, other than religious shame, to cover your body forcefully. Sure, we have created a "beauty standard" and we can cover up if we don't match that. But how you dress - or not - should be a decision of free choice. Going to work, naked in a full subway, I don't mind, but it is not a nice idea if everybody would do that. But lets start to abolish laws that forcefully put these limitations on people. Now it is even "not done" to breastfeed your baby in public, because of the limited way of thinking of some people that showing a breast is a sexual act. It's all indoctrinated into the minds of many, many religious people. Make it easier to create and accept free places as nudist beaches and nudists campgrounds. If we have realized that, than we can think of further steps, if needed. And by the way, women should be free to walk around in the same way as men. Also sporting nude, like the old Greek did, seems not so strange to me. For me personally, I would be quite satisfied if I would be legally free to walk around naked on my own property and that neighbors should look the other way if they wouldn't like it.

Gert Level 7 Jan 6, 2018

I am amazed at how few people realize that even if they aren't religious they still carry a lot of dogmas from religion without realizing it. I can see you are more aware than those persons.

Ironically, the bible itself does nto specifically ban nudity. It has many references about how you shoudl feel ashamed about nudity, which seems to be more about religious leaders controlling people though fear and shame than it has ever been a dictate that was supposed to come from the god of the bible. There has never been a commandment to "cover up.". It has always just been dogma.

Exactly. As far as I know nudism or naturism started to grow fast in Germany somewhere at the start of the seventies, not in the least as a way of protesting. It spread fast over Europe. It is called there FKK (Frei Körper Kultur, which means Free Body Culture). It's goal was and is to enjoy company of other people that shared the appalling limitations by the religious dogmas and the by religion dictated laws. "Together be fee" Because of the pleasant temperature former Yugoslavia a lot of camping sites became FKK, mostly a big part of the site at the back. It was and still is very popular. As result of that you sauna's are mixed and have only a few single gender hours, most of the times especially for ladies that feel uncomfortable with naked men around them for reasons of dogma's or abuse.
I guess that bible-dogma finds its origin in "Adam and Eve saw they were nude and covered themselves" or words like that. This little line was added for dogmatic reasons. I can think of some reasons for that, in general for controlling communities ans societies. No further limitations on nudity in the Bible as far as I know.

The funny thing is though, at these camping sites and nude beaches appear to be free of sexual harassment. Because everything is "openly visible" it is not firing fantasies. The Netherlands has an expression "bloot slaat dood" which means more or less "nudity falls flat". I think that's how it works indeed. The funny thing was at the nude beaches, that there were always a few viewers that walked around dressed, with an erection. Nude men? Never seen it.

the fkk - as nude sunbathing & exercising in nature - actually was born in germany in the early 20. century. at the time the movement included raw-foodism & natural remedies, & advocated back to nature; Rudolf Steiner & the waldorf schools were part of what developed in this environment. it was also very non-religious, or heathen you might say.

All unreasonable restriction comes from religion.

@walklightly as far as I know it was more than nude sunbathing & exercising in nature as you state, and it was not necessarily related to Rufolf Steinder schools and alternative ways of living. But if you want to know more, check this link out. It tells more of the background:

[en.wikipedia.org]

I don't understand though why this link is not completely seen as such.

@Gert, thank you for the link. i mentioned back to nature, raw-foodism & natural remedies as well; also that R. Steiner & waldorf were PART of the movement at the time. the maternal branch of my family lived the Lebensreform (life reform) style. google it! 🙂

No. There are too many hygiene risks. As my brother (EPA prosecutor, so he may be a little bitter) puts it "Most people can't properly manage a flush toilet, let alone serious hygiene risks."

I suppose that is why we have laws that require hygiene under certain circumstances. I am all for such laws.

Making nudity legal does not mean there would not be limitations or regulations. For instance even speech is regulated under some circumstances, such as it is illegal to yell fire in a theater or auditorium. Above I already mention the limitation that a naked person should not be doing anything with the intent of sexually arousing either themselves or anyone else. Other limitations would very likely be needed to insure hygienic protections... because some people are just idiots and/or assholes in regards to being considerate of others.

@snytiger6 The limitations needed to make general public nudity sufficiently hygienic would most likely amount to see-through clothing, Which rather defeats the purpose. All beaches being clothing optional, parks the same, probably public swimming pools but I'd want input from the managers of such. These would be reasonable options. Nudity on public transport would be both invasive and grotty. If we could limit the close contact into which people come it would probably be reasonably safe. I suspect that clothing is the easier option.

I am a nudist if I can say, and I have visited nudist beach. However, after living in US for two years, I want to think that public nudism and other life styles we choose, waters down the true meaning of human bondage and relationships. That's why there's just sex every where, with no human affection. Let our nudism stay in the closet, what are you marketing that people don't know about? I never lived in a nudist family, I have self esteem. If someone doesn't have self-esteem, it's a clear indication of how parents---by spoon feeding the growing children, do spoil them. That's why I see many younger adults seeking mentors. I say, that's trash.

Well, let's face it, we live in a culture that for better or worse is infused with sexualizing everything and laced through with people who equate a social taboo against nudity with immorality. And cultural attitudes only change slowly. We seem to be gradually more accepting of the fact that gasp women have breasts -- although in my experience that's limited to people tolerating women who are nursing infants. When I've traveled overseas, women topless at the beach seems normal (and is not usually a particularly sexually stimulating sight to behold). A generation ago, thong bikini bottoms were criminalized in certain places, and a generation before that, bikinis or other midriff-exposing swimwear was scandalously revealing enough that they were banned in some places. So there is progress being made, just frustratingly slow progress.

And then, as the post points out, there are people who actually will abuse an ability to be nude in front of others in sexual ways and there's no way to sort out in advance who would be likely to do that sort of thing. While I might not be hugely bothered by seeing a nude person on the beach next to me, I would be bothered by seeing that person masturbate in public. And we all know that some people would do that even if a lot of nudists (naturists, if you prefer) would not. And then there's the guy who "forgot" his towel and just plops his junk down on the public bench anyway.

So unfortunately for those who would responsibly enjoy the ability to be nude in public, until the cultural attitudes change I think we'll need to have to keep on telling you to cover up those particular bits.

This could be argued with the chicken or the egg type of argument. Can cultural attitudes change first without allowing more nudity in society first, or will allowing more nudity in society change public attitudes to where it would be as accepted as it is in many parts of Europe? Either way, nothing would change all that quickly.

The real question as i see it, is should people have the freedom to be nude if they so choose, and my answer would be yet. So, although nothing will happen over night, I'd like to see our society and culture move in the direction where nudity is more acceptable. Especially so, because most of our taboos against nudity are based in religious dogmas.

Yes, pervs do go to the nude beaches, but natruists/nudists either ignore tham or laugh at them, and they are no more than a minor annoyance at the beach. The big annoyance is that the general public get a warped view of naturists/nudists in general beign sexual in purpose from the very few and infrequent pervs.

So nudge them gradually. Cultural attitudes do change. It used to be a crime to engage in sexual behavior with someone of the same sex and the idea of a same sex marriage was risible. Today, it's the law of the land. But it didn't happen all at once, it took a lot of hard work making incremental changes until the concept of tolerance gained a critical mass of social acceptance. Maybe naturism can walk a similar path.

If the religious hate was untaught and nature considered natural, a lot of twisted sex attitudes would go away. Bodies could be just bodies. Cultures have perverted sex and the body and it could be untaught. But, nudity would be choice, like wearing shorts in the snow or pajamas when shopping. Who cares if no one is hurt?

The US is populated by a bunch of prudes. Why not, and I go to events (clothed or nude) to meet people that may have common interests. If sex is part of that then great!

If you live by yourself, you can do what you want. If you live in the society of others, then you need to pay attention to what bothers them, or you won't be accepted or happy. And, when nude, bring a towel to sit on.....

I grew up in Florida.Before there were amusements and attractions in my town it was much like a deserted island with beach cottages. The reason people came was to fish and to sunbathe. The agenda was for maximum sun exposure. I grew up seeing old men in speedo's and granny's in string bikinis. Children of both sexes in underwear and topless. If you wanted more exposure you went to the far end of the beach where it was understood that more skin was going to be exposed. If folks were going to be offended, (out of town visitors.) they were kept away. Fat people, skinny people. Work uniforms were shorts and sleeveless tops for women, and cut-off shorts and work boots for men. Women had nursing circles on the front porches of public buildings. Folks were respected and not sexualized. I loved that world, and wish I could go back to it.

Donna Level 6 Dec 28, 2017

And it's gone because of religion and patriarchy.

Sadly so...

No. It's always the ugly peeps that want to show their junk. No. Oh, hell no. Don't want to sit on the same chair naked as your naked asscrack or whatever. Ugly. No.

If we weren't forced to cover and be prudes we wouldn't judge others' looks. And common sense would have pants when appropriate.

Only if the nudists are truly guaranteed to be safe from others. Which they are not, in the US, unless they are in a group. I love being naked whenever I comfortably can be. I was raised in Europe, where it is safe for a woman to be bare chested, if she so chooses to be and more. The first time I ever wore a bathing suit was when I was ten years old and my mother said I had to at least were the bottom because there were Americans around, who she said had perverted sexual obsessions.

Yeah. American culture is overly obsessed with sex. I don't think it is healthy or good for society to have such obsessions.

Right. Perverted Americans.

I think there should be designated ares where public nudity is allowed, some parks and the like. But 100%, no, but only because of the sanitation issues.

It should be legal, but it isn't smart due to the steel and concrete world we created. Of course it isn't a good idea in the jungle either. We no longer have fur after all. I think it would be healthy for society to do away with moral hang ups over it. Maybe if it were legal at every beach, that would be beneficial.

Probably not a good idea in today's climate change world.
The ozone layer is incredibly thin and in places gone, and this will lead to a rise in skin cancer with the nude fraternity.
Also, as the majority of people are not interested in running around nude, I would say it is probably not a wise thing to make it legal everywhere.
But what you do in your home or backyard or other appropriate place is up to you.

Aesthetically speaking ... Hell No! LOL

Public nudity? I think it should only be legal in designated areas that are at least somewhat secluded such as beaches, resorts, camp sites and parks. I don't think its a good idea for nudity to be allowed in most public places. If the U.S. was a better, safer, and more tolerant nation in which women and children aren't abused and molested on a daily basis then I'd probably be more open to the idea, but there are just too many shitty people in this country and open public nudity would too often be pouring gasoline on the fire of hatred, bigotry, and intolerance.

No and neither should sending people dick pictures. Come to Waco, go to Walmart, you'll be happy people cover up.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1727
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.