Agnostic.com

308 29

Should public nudity be legal?

The AANR (American Association for Nude Recreation) has the view that public nudity should be legal as long as the person is not doing anything with the intent of sexually arousing either themselves or anyone else.

The most stated reason by members is to get over "body shame", because doing so helps boost self esteem and confidence. There have been studies showing that children raised in nudist family have higher self esteem and confidence and are just generally more comfortable with who they are as a person.

On the other side there are those persons who seek out nude beaches and nudist events who have seual agendas. AANR nudist clubs don't tolerate such persons, and forcibly remove them shoudl they show up. I refer to such persons as "swingers" because they seem to fit the swinger lifestyle more than they do the nudist lifestyule

However, as a point of freedom. A freedom of expression, which does tno do harm to anyone, shoudl public nudity be legal? As atheists are nto burdened with religious mores , I was just wondering what the people here think?

I am a natuirst (nudist) and I have ridden the Portland (OR) World Naked Bike Ride, which has over 10,000 participants each year, and I have gone on nude hikes, visited clothing optional beaches

So, what are your thoughts?

snytiger6 9 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

308 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Heck no. It's bad enough already. Imagine having to look at that. If you want to go nude in private or at certain beaches!

I’m a fan. I like the idea of less laundry, lol!

Yes, when I became a nudist the amount of my laudry was greatly reduced. Also my clothes just generally lasted longer. So, I save money on detergents, on guying new clohtes for those that wear out and on energy and water costs, because of less laudray.

Naturism is definitely a green lifestyle.

Absolutely. I often think of how convenient it would be to walk out of my house naked get in my car and run my errands on a nice summer day. Clothing requirements are ridiculous. Actually here in Ohio, women can go topless in public. A woman filed suit based on gender equality, as men were allowed to be topless so should women. I guess we are halfway there.

A similar lawsuit won in New York a while back too.

I heard that in order to head off such a law suit in Arkansas, they made it illegal for men to go shirtless/topless.

Female breasts have non-functional (no milk) fatty flesh. This flesh is there purely as an indicator of reproductive ability. So public nudity should not be legal.

I tend to side with New York court rulings as far as going shirtless goes. If a man can go shirless, a woman should be able to also.

I have been told tht in Arkansas they wen the other way, and made it illegal for men to go shirtless too.

I am in agreement that the law shoudl be equal for both genders, but not that the law should be able to regulate the freedom in deciding whether or not to wear clothing. So, long as the person is nto beign sexually provocative (taking actions with the intent of sexually arousing either themselves or anyone else), laws that require clothing go against the freedom of speech and expression, guaranteed to U.S. citizens under the bill of rights.

@snytiger6 1st Males and females are different, so the sexes can NEVER be equal (no matter how much you wish.) 2nd Freedom of speech does not guarantee the freedom of expression. The current trend of expanding the 1st amendment is being used to give corporations power to do as they chose.

@PhilipK Well, at least we seem to be in agreement in a dislike of hte idea of corporate personhood. It has been my impression that coporations latest arguements do inclues tryign to co-op the freedom of expresion to further the concept of corporate personhood, but I do not think that freedom of expresion shoudl be curtailed for actual people to try ot thwart their efforts.

I am more for the strategy of makign it so that the constitution does not aply to artifical persons. The way corporations got a foothold onto the constitution, was because the original tax system was designed to tax people. rather the add on the taxation of coporate entities, they made coporations "artificial people" for taxation purposes. Ever sine the rise of the railroads, coporations have been tryign to extend constitutional rights to "artificial people".

Before the Civil War all coporations had limited lifespans by law. Most states had a limiation of a 20 year lifespan, and I think one had a 50 year lifsapn (it's been a while since I looked at this). The reasons for this was because of the East india Co0mpany, which had a royual monoploy granted from England before the revolutionary war, which le the East India company import to the American colonies tax free, while small businesses were heavily taxed. Thsi led firs tot he Boston Tea party protest, and eventually the Americna Revolution, because American did nto want to be under coporate rule, and be unfairly taxed. Thus the phrase Taxation without representation" became a motto for the revolution.

It too almos t100 years, but eventually coporations were granted unlimitede lifetimes, because everyone who lived under soporate rule before the American revolytion was dead and nobody alive remembered what it was like.

However, today, peopel are once again learnign wht it is like... some more than others.

@snytiger6 Thanks for the detailed response. "thwart their efforts" Can you name an issue that MUST have the ability to argue with expression beyond words? Where is (speech) expression required?

@PhilipK Freedom of speech is synonymous with freedom of expression.

What do breasts have to do with reproductive ability?

@mooredolezal I am not keeping up with human evolution stuff. Breast indicate how much female reproductive potential a woman has.

I do not believe Public nudity should be legal, I do not know if this could cause more sexually attributed crimes, or perhaps Less

If you do not know if it would decrease sexual crimes then why would you be against it?

Yes, but only for people I personally deem attractive. Now we sit back and wait for the comments from those who have no sense of humor...

Born naked, if you don't want wear cloth least make it optional,the weather itself will let you know what or what not to wear

There is no need for laws about this. The human is what it is and we were not given clothes to wear by anybody. But please apply some common sense. If you think you have private parts then keep them private. If you want to teach your kids to feel they have privacy be a role model.

As to bike rides being nude. It sounds more like a silly protest than common sense. No real reason to do it unless you don't have money for clothes (but have money for a bike).

Stig Level 5 Oct 24, 2018

The World Nake dBike Ride is a protest against our continued use of fossil fuels. It is fun, an dyes, it can be silly at times, but a clothed bike ride would not gain the same publicity about the issue. It is a veyr low bost way to gain publicity for protests in oruj society.

@snytiger6 That's for a good cause.

How do you nude bikers deal with the bugs? Its bad enough with a shirt and shorts. But dealing with them down yonder whilst pedaling?

I think at least women and men should be able to go without a shirt. Both have nipples. Why keep them covered on a hot day?

May you continue with your nudist activities but I would prefer to be clothed as lack of apparel makes me feel insecure.I have no quasi religious views on nudity although aesthetically some human bodies are not subjectively attractive.

Or objectively!

It is on some selected beaches in many countries. I don't think of nude people as anything but people who choose to be nude whenever they can

I believe it is legal in some states. New York, Vermont for starters. I believe it should be legal, but I don't want to look at a bunch of saggy old fat hairy gross bodies so I don't think people would want to go around naked.

jafbm Level 5 Oct 12, 2018

In New York, I believe it is just legal for women to go topless.

In Oregon, it is technically legal to be nude, due to an Oregon State Supreme Court ruling, but a lot of the language in teh rulign was pretty gray, which the only circumstances definitively spelled otu is for protesting, although anyone who has been cited for nudity who cites the ruling has the case dismissed. So, technically it is legal, but some localities still act liek it isn't.

I am told that Vermont, although perhaps nto for the same reasons, is kind of like Oregon. Technically it is legal, but localities pretend it isn't. Havent' bene there or red up on Vermont laws.

Despite nudity beign technically legal in Oregon, most persons who liekt o be naked choose to wear clothes because they either don't wish to offend, or simply to get along better with their neighbors. I think even if public nudity were legal, most people would conform to societal norms.

Ive swam nude on European beaches. I think that there should be enough beach front to accommodate both clothed and unclothed. If a person is uncomfortable with their or others bodies, they should have a space too, as should those of us that do not mind nudity.

Of course it should be legal. Clergy is against it, consequently it is right.

zesty Level 7 Oct 7, 2018

LOL... I am not sure if that line of reasoning is (completely) sound, but I like the approach.

who made the law about this in the first place

No. as simply as I can put it, the majority of society is against it, wearing clothes does not impinge on any actual freedom, "the freedom to be nude" isn't a thing and hasn't been in any western society since likely the stone age, nor does it do them any harm, ergo it should not be legal in public.

IF at some point the majority of people in society are more accepting, I'd revisit the laws. while tyranny of the majority is not a thing I generally support, there is the caveat that someone is actually having their liberty impinged by the rule of majority, and while you might not want to wear clothes, it does no impinge on your ability to function or be treated equally by society to wear clothes.

I happen to agree with the State of Oregon Supreme Court ruling that said nudity is a right based on freedom of speech/expression.

Saying that the majority does not desire it, is like saying since the majority of people in the U.S. are Christians it shoudl be compulsory for people to attend church on Sunday, because they don't 'lolike other Penelope staying home.

As our cultural attitudes about nudity are primarily drawn from religion, the same argument of freedom of religious belief can be made for legal public nudity as can be made against the above paragraph.

In Oregon, even though it is technically legal to be nude, very few persons actually choose to go nude. However, the point is that they do have a choice. Wearing clothes is not compulsory. Then again, not too many are aware of the court ruling either.

@snytiger6 no, it is not the same, you are wrong. the right to religious freedom is in the first amendment, the right to nudity is not in any amendment. saying they are the same is ridiculous, it's bullshit.

@snytiger6, @Hercules3000 we do force nudists to wear clothes, Herc, your statement is just false. false statements are not arguments of reason, they are false statements. SOME people wear clothes when they want to, some do it because it is the law. facts matter.

"as our cultural standards come from religion" no, they don't. SOME of them do. some come from evolutionary impulses. acting like "oh, this thing is in a religion, so it must be because of religion" is complete ignorance of reality. I don't deal in ignorance.

@snytiger6 if you equate the completely, and I mean COMPLETELY harmless injunction of wearing clothes to the demonstrably harmful practice of indoctrination into superstitious beliefs, you are wrong. It isn't a question of reasonable debate when you do that.

"well, isn't not letting people be naked the same as not letting them murder other people when they want to" makes as much sense. there is no harm done to someone who is forced to wear clothes, and there is no harm to society done by everyone being clothed in public. NONE.

Often the people who object to public nudity are also opposed to the wearing of the burqa.

Although, it may not seem logical, that is true. In both cases those against nudity and those against the Buraq are mostly (often fanatical) Christians tryign ti impose their religious belifs and/or values onto others.

You know it my dude

First--I'm a very white woman and you need extra-dark sunglasses if you want to be near me when I'm nude outdoors! ( NOT a joke! ) Secondly, I see no reason why there can't be areas for nudists and their families, as long as somebody who doesn't want to see that is alerted beforehand.

I've been to several ''clothing optional'' areas and it's true that, after an hour or so, you don't notice so much that people are naked....although some of us really shouldn't play volleyball naked....or sit on rocks and then go on hikes!

Interestingly, there were more ''mature'' people with ''less-than perfect'' bodies at the places I visited than young, perky, erotically-focused people. I didn't see any erections and there just wasn't anything sexual going on.

The major problems I saw were sunburns in uncomfortable areas and mosquitoes.

It is true that at clothing optional places it seesm that there are more older generations than yo9unhger. I attribute this to more younger persons are insecure about theri bodies, while as people get older, many mor ewill adopt an attitude of "who cares".

As for sun burns.... I recommend Nutragena sun screens tht come in the little plastic tubes (not the spray on,which doesn't work as well). It is fast drying, meaning you are not oily and greasy all day long. I only have to apply it once at the start of the day, can go in and out of the water without having to reapply it, and I have never been burned when wearign it (I use and SPF of 45 on my body and spf 85 on my genitals). It is more expensive than other sun screens, but it works, and it will let you tan too. Definitely worth the expense.

@snytiger6 Thanks! As a public service, though, I'll remain clothed in public places. You'd thank me...yes, you would! 🙂

@LucyLoohoo You'd be surprised. I've met a person who was over weight who also had severe skin disorders several at nudist events. He wasn't pretty to look at, but I did get over my initial reactions, and he seemed like a nice person. His condition wasn't contagious, and by comparison my initial emotional discomfort would never compare to his physical discomfort

I think it is just sad that as a society we want anyone who does not meet the advertisers ideal of physical beauty to feel guilt fear and hame about hwo they look, which in many instances cant' be helped.

@snytiger6 Men have been afflicted with ''snow blindness" having seen me nekkid! Just saying...

@Hercules3000 I would nto have fit into Woodstock. I don't liek mud, don't use drugs, and AIDS was already around by the time I was sexually active, so free love alwasy seemed to come at too high of a cost to me. Is your info really that dated?

Nudist culture predates the counter culture of hte 1960's. Nudists existed both before and after that time period. If you want to criticize, which you seem intent on doing, perhaps you shoudl do more reading to learn more, so you can do it properly. Nudists & Naturists have been a constant subculture for much longer than the last century.

perhaps too many Americans have been perverted by glossy publications thst turned natural nakedness into a commodity: erotic nudity ...

Between that and just a general religious prude attitude....

Religions just associate nudity with sex. Most Americans have no experiences with nudity outside of sex or bathing.

Body image has a lot to do with it too. Unless a person feels insecure about how they look, advertisers won't be able to sell us a bunch of stuff that we really dont' need, which is supposed to make us look better, whether it be clothes cosmetics, skin care products, bogus weight loss products or whatever.

In Ontario Canada Women are allowed 2 go topless, Never seen anyone do that yet lol. If the health department say there are no health risks then yes freedom of choice.

@Hercules3000 You can't get a sexual transmitted disease off a bar stool or a toilet!

I personally have. No problems Sun bathing or any healthy activity while naked.... I like most who. Choose do so,, would agree there needs be legally designated locations for the growing number of individuals involved.

I think if everyone was publicly naked, there would not be less (nor more, i hasten to add) sexual violence, but there might be less stigmatization of the victim, since no one could try to blame the victim's attire for the assault. on the other hand, patriarchy would still find a way to assert itself. anyway, i think we'd be better off as human beings if we were not compelled by law or even tradition to hide ourselves. clothing should be for protection from weather or for adornment when desired, not to cover up some secret that's no secret because everyone has more or less the same couple sets of parts. i view the illegality of public nudity much the way i view not having women in the classroom because we might distract men from their studies. it's silly.

g

@Hercules3000 nope, not forgetting. you know what? those people are attacking us even when we're fully clothed. i don't see nudity as a further problem.

g

@Hercules3000 i think people will get used to nudity and those erections will happen less and less, but if overcrowding is a problem that way, maybe more subways cars will be built to ease crowding. i don't see this as a huge problem, really, apart from the fact that the crowding itself is.

g

@Hercules3000 nope, not even remotely like that. complete false conflation. that's just silly. are you trying to imagine potential problems? is there something else on your mind you're not revealing, regarding public nudity?

g

@Hercules3000 pretty much everything, including breathing! my skin is particularly sensitive, as it happens. but one doesn't have to have a problem in order to benefit from nudity. but that's not the point. the point is whether or not people should be forced to cover up whether they want to or not, just because SOME people might be titillated.

g

@Hercules3000 pretty much everything, not the special cases you named. as for children, they frequently ARE naked! what's the big deal?

g

@Hercules3000 neither are grownups. what's your point? we're not talking about whether nudity IS permissible in public. we're talking about whether it SHOULD be. if it were, then yes, children would be naked in shopping malls, and not getting erections either.

g

@Hercules3000 omg you're obsessed with danglies!

if everyone was nude, nobody would be looking all the time at the danglies! and if people were seated their danglies wouldn't really be dangling.

the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy says: always know where your towel is.

g

Should a society legislate morality? I think that is a bigger question. If the answer is yes, then the question is what criteria and procedure should the society use in order to define "morality" and how to enforce it to what degree. Then it is a simply a matter of communal agreement.

Atheists are not burdened with "religious" mores, but they do have "mores" stemming from other sources.

Personally, I think it is legitimate for a society to legislate morality, if morality is defined as "preventing individuals from causing unnecessary harm to others." In that sense, yes, I absolutely think that being nude in public should be legal.

I really appreciate it when people think out and explain their answers, and take the time to make thier answers worth reading. Thank you.

@Hercules3000 I don't think you understood my point. I've answered in a far broader sense than the context of your response. Ask yourself this: should an adultery be criminalized? In some countries they are. Should what is illegal in one society be illegal in all others? Or the other way around? My answer assumes the society in question can reach a consensus about "morality." We may or may not be able to. I was simply casting my vote on the perspective on morality. I won't forcibly impose my sense of morality on others.

@Hercules3000 If you had taken time to read the original post, you would know that the legality is exactly what we were discussing. More specifically what role should our sense of morality in criminalizing behavior. You want to skip the difficult question and go straight into what you believe to be moral or immoral. That's a different question. You have already formed your own subjective morality and you are shocked and scandalized when others disagree. That's a common response, but also an uninteresting one. But as atheist, we should learn to question whether our subjective sense of morality should be universally accepted.

Holy US where nukes are ok but nudes are not!

@Hercules3000 no but they can blast your genitals right off! melt them, actually.

so it's all about genitals (and fitness)?

is a person just all about his or her genitals?
g

@Hercules3000 i'm not the one who brought up nukes. i do not associate nudes with nukes. i was just responding to what you said about them.

g

@Hercules3000 we only get one body. why hide it? what's so horrible about having a body? do we have to be perfect before being allowed to free it?

g

@Hercules3000 perhaps not ... but neither is it all about nudes, And nudes are far less dangerous than nukes... Just look the other way and nudes are no problem.

@genessa I thought nukes and nudes were too good to be missed because of the spelling ... and of course the fact the USA has a rather unhealthy relationship to military violence but shies away from nudity.

@PontifexMarximus i liked the play on words.

g

@PontifexMarximus, @Hercules3000 i am not venessa, i do not respect comments that, rather than being sincere, are meant to get someone off your back -- it decreases your credibility -- and i am therefore not off your back. you bid me farwell nicely but this statement was NOT nice.

g

@genessa an nuke sounds cute.

@PontifexMarximus given what some people think nudism is about, maybe it should be spelled nookie!

g

Funny America ... bearing a firearm is ok but baring one's body is not.

When are you going to rewrite your bloody constitution?

Probably wont' happen in my lifetime. One hopes that eventually rationality and reason will prevail, but thern I remember , this is the country that elected Bush... then later Trump... which is why I say probably not in my lifetime.

@snytiger6 Most regimes don't concede defeat without a fight.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1727
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.