Agnostic.com

308 29

Should public nudity be legal?

The AANR (American Association for Nude Recreation) has the view that public nudity should be legal as long as the person is not doing anything with the intent of sexually arousing either themselves or anyone else.

The most stated reason by members is to get over "body shame", because doing so helps boost self esteem and confidence. There have been studies showing that children raised in nudist family have higher self esteem and confidence and are just generally more comfortable with who they are as a person.

On the other side there are those persons who seek out nude beaches and nudist events who have seual agendas. AANR nudist clubs don't tolerate such persons, and forcibly remove them shoudl they show up. I refer to such persons as "swingers" because they seem to fit the swinger lifestyle more than they do the nudist lifestyule

However, as a point of freedom. A freedom of expression, which does tno do harm to anyone, shoudl public nudity be legal? As atheists are nto burdened with religious mores , I was just wondering what the people here think?

I am a natuirst (nudist) and I have ridden the Portland (OR) World Naked Bike Ride, which has over 10,000 participants each year, and I have gone on nude hikes, visited clothing optional beaches

So, what are your thoughts?

snytiger6 9 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

308 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Imagine D. tRump in the nude!!! (please don't)

Seeing him nude would be no big deal to me, but I'd be really upset by he'd he behave if he were nude. He has no sense of propriety (doing what is proper and acceptable). Trump has the mentality of a sexual predator.

At AANR nudist clubs, they are on the bigilent lookout for sexual predators and promptly remove them.

Only if you look good in it.

The whole point (of nudism/naturism) is to be completely comfortable in your skin no matter how you look to others.

I'm all for it, given the right circumstances. As suggested above, as long as it not sexualized and regulated. There is always one or two bad eggs in any group that will join for nefarious reasons. I think climate may be more of a hurdle in my country, we have a deminished ozone and a very high rate of skin cancer.

I recommend Nutrogena sunc screen. The creme, not the spray. In Palm Springs with high temps above 110F, I only needed to apply it once, even though I went in and out of a pool. I've never burned while wearing it, but I have still tanned. Until I used it, I thought the idea of blocking burning rays while letting tanning rays through was just hype (It is just hype for most sun screens, but not this one). It is expensive though.

Anyway, tha twoudl be how to avoid burning and/or skin cancers.

I don't know dude but topless is definitely allowable in my book at least ;D

Only in designated area.I think anyone that would walk around nude in a public area with clothed people would be an exhibitionist.What I really don't approve of are family nudists ,where the mother,father and young children walk around in a nudist colony. It’s not right to expose children to this lifestyle when they have no say in the matter .Personally I do not even like the feeling of being nude even in the privacy of my own home .

Studies have shown that kids raised in nudist families, have higher self esteem, more confidence and fewer prejudices, and score "healthier" in terms of mental health tests.

The reasons beign that not beign taught to be ashamed of your body and the way you look has muc more positive influences on children.

As for people walking around naked surrounded by clothed persons... they are not "exhibitionists" unless they derive some kind of sexual excitement or satisfaction by doing so. Not feeling shaem about your body is not the same thing as exhibitionism. Exhibitionist make it a point to be seen and nake a point to draw attention to themselves, which is quite different for a nudist who simply would not care if they were seen naked because they are not ashamed of their bodies and don't care one way or the other if they are seen.

That beign said, most nudists do make a point not to be seen, not because they fear beign seen, but because they generally try to avoid doing things that might offend others. Also, they would try to avoid situations that provoke persons with sexual agendas.

I think it's a complicated issue, but I definitely see the argument about free the nipple.

I have no moral or ethical objection to it; I just don't really want to see other men's pubes. There's also the hygiene issue that others have commented on.

Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: I believe so but in a kind of regulated manner. It may sound odd but as mentioned in some of the comments/replies the within the nudist/naturalist culture people carry around towels for when they sit down. However, if one legalizes nudity across the board not everyone who is now going to go around naked sometimes will abide by that standard. Also, it would bring into question many laws about decency and even sexual assault. Yes, there is nothing inherently indecent about the naked form but if nudity is legal across the board then people who get arrested for things like flashing may be able to make more of a case - "My coat just blew open, they took it wrong." "Nothing illegal about being naked, chicks shouldn't have looked" - or if people didn't like a person being naked they could claim they were behaving inappropriately; again the nudist culture around sexual nakedness would likely not transmit to the rest of society. Let's also not forget how it is legal for vendors to kick someone out for not wearing shoes or a shirt and the same would happen for nudists - so that may have to be dealt with as well. To help combat these issues there would have to some sort of regulation or additional caveats legal nudity (until there is a cultural shift large enough where these issues wouldn't be a problem) these regulations may be from anywhere to requiring someone to use a towel is nude to only being nude on public land.

I've read all the replies and yours is one that seems to be more thought out than the knee jerk responses a few person put out there. Our society could not handle an "overnight" change, but it would have to be adopted gradually with clear regulations for purposes of public safety (and hygiene) so that people could adjust and adapt in a gradual and sensible way.

If I'm eating in a restaurant, I don't wanna see naked people, especially the elderly. Keep your pants on...and your shirt.

I would think health codes would mostly take care those concerns.

Not outside the window at a window seat.

Just in my yard by young women.

O hell no! Some things should not be seen! I'm fairly certain no one wants to see me naked 🙂

It isn't about being seen. It is more aobut having the self confidence and aelf assurance enough to not care if you are seen, and just enjoying the freedom in movement without clothes and experience the sun wind and/or rain as nature intended.

Why not, we are ALL born naked, it is only conventions dictated originally by religious beliefs that as modern humans we MUST be clothed in front of others.

One of my favortite T-shirts reads "If we were meant to be naked, We'd have been born that way".

The only problems I see from nudity are in the eye of the beholder.
Naked skin is fetishized in most western cultures it would seem.
General, shameless nudity seems the only cure.
Hiding nudity from children does not seem a solution but more a perpetuation of what I would call unhealthy attitudes towards our bodies. A recurrent theme in the objections to it seems to be, ~ I will see something I do not like. ie Young girls naked are fine but old men are detestable. I see things and people I do not like all the time. I do not find this at all crippling. i think if we can get over the packaging we may begin to be concerned more with what is on the inside.

The first time I went to a nude beach, Within an hour, the nudity all around me was no big deal. Even though it took several trips before I went nude myself, I strted to see nudity as "normal".

If nudity is normalized. then it is no big deal.

Yeah, there will be obese people, but at the nude beach, i hear a lot less derogatory comments than I her in public places where everyone is clothed. Beauty value judgements are mostly learned. They can be unlearned (or better yet not learned in the first place). Too many people equate beauty and beign sexually attractive as they saem thing, but they are not. Everyone at some time in their life has seen someone who was physiclly beautiful to whom they were not attracted to sexually. The serialization of the human body, or rather seeing every human body in terms of sexual attractiveness and making a beauty judgement on that basis has not made for a better world or society.

Naked is natural. Clothign is unnatural. Why do we mostly choose to live so out of touch with nature?

Absolutely. I see no need for this to be an issue, and it's only as awkward/taboo as we make it.

I disagree. I think nudity should have it is own places not public ones

What are your reasons for this opinion?

Yes, but I lived in Italy for three years. There are people you don’t want to see nude. It’s all fine and good to see lithe young bodies prancing across the sand, but a three hundred pound bald guy was hat can’t wipe his rear end is something else. I agree that everyone has the right, but I’d rather just not be a part of it.

Sure why not..unfortunately..too many people sexualize the human body..I went to a festival last summer..there was a beautiful family..mom..dad..two young kids..boy and girl..walking around fully nude..they looked happy and at home in their skin...their children were playing and never even acted like they acknowledged their nakedness...people need to stop sexualizing...the human body is not just for sex..I have no issues with nudists..can have full conversations with them and not stare ...woman who breastfeed should do it with abandon...no one should be looking down upon another's life choices as long as they are not impeaching on your rights...

yes, what you describe, is the way things shoudl be.

i don't have a problem with that

When it's really warm, I like to shed my clothing, and interestingly have become more comfortable with nudism as I age. So I say go for it, with all the practical suggestions people have made here, e.g. using a towel.

North America was founded (if I have my history correct...) by people fleeing religious persecution, therefore explaining the puritanical mindset that kicked off this continent's culture. We still see its effects to this day. The objectifying of women is IMHO the result of forbidding the exposure of the human body. Make something illegal and forbidden, it makes it all the more naughty.

On,y if you look good nekkid. ????

Beautiful nakedness is in the eye of the beholder.

American's in general are hypocritical prudes and the rise of christian fundamentalism recently (christian fundamentalists overwhelmingly support Trump) would seem to hinder the chance of any liberalization in this regard.

I am thinking (or a least hoping) that Trump will push too hard and too far and there will be a societal push back in the other direction.

Sure why not?

Can we make a list of people we DON'T want to see naked?

Trump. Karl Rove. Bill Clinton. O'Bannon. The list will grow.

I know, I'm on the list, too.

I think nudity allows you to see people for who they really are. Most persons who hae something to hide will hide it, in part, by the way they dress.

My point being that yeah, there may be some unattractive persons out there, but I'll take seeing those persons in exchange for seeing people more for who they are rather than who they pretend to be. Clothign just helps with their pretenses.

If you think about the list of people you don't wan tot see naked, if you did see those persons naked, then you would not think of them in the same ways. They would not seem as powerful or influential, but more like regular people. I would be a great equalizer of power.

I don't think it should be penalized but if it was permitted in certain areas, I wouldn't have a problem with that. The element of surprise is what concerns me. For example, I would hate to walk around my neighborhood and see my Uncle Frank watering his lawn in the buff. That would make for an awkward family picnic down the road once Uncle Frank shows up.

My opinion is that public nudity should be legal. I lived in areas where there was a much greater degree of public nudity. I believe genetalia were often covered for protective reasons as these were more sensitive areas (injury wise - men & women) and for sanitary reasons. what was interesting was that nakedness was much more of an issue for those who were clothed than naked.

Whilst in Germany a friend and I realised we were in a naked sports complex when guys were wandering around starkers and we were in swimming trunks. The laughing Germans caused my friend to state that he felt embarrassed to be clothed so we went back to the lockers and got nudie. It was a "unisex" complex and all sexes used the same changing rooms and all facilities. There was no sexual innuendo or lewd behaviour. It was actually a pleasant experience to be there.

In the UK, the laws are not straight forward. I have included a link to a Wikipedia entry about a (in)famous naked rambler [en.wikipedia.org]

Wow. Interesting story. Hope society gets over its warped attitudes soon. Clothing only when naturally necessary.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1727
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.