Agnostic.com

68 6

Where do you find meaning?

One of the few good arguments against atheists is the issue of meaning. The answer of the “New Atheists” is: “Life is even more meaningful if there’s no afterlife because it’s all we have” and “The answer to meaning will be different for every atheist, because it’s up to us to decide what will make life worth living”. This is all pretty, but it does leave a vacuum. Ultimately, the universe doesn’t know you are here, doesn’t care, has no purpose. Life has no purpose.

I am sure many would be atheists, can’t let go of religion because they find the idea there is no purpose to this whole charade that is life, ridiculous. They need a sense of meaning that’s beyond their individual caprice. Jordan Peterson has interesting ideas on the subject.

What gives your life meaning? Do you think life and the universe have a purpose?

Lucignolo 6 Sep 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

between "mean free path" and "meaningful" in my Collins dictionary 🙂
Jordan Peterson also knows a lot about lobsters

I pass.

There is a meaning in evolution, which is to stay alive, reproduce and provide for the next generation.

Meaning is something we give to life, not something life gives to us. I have plenty of meaning in my life. I think we should try to make the world a better place than when we entered it. Making a better world for our children and their children. And enjoying the brief time that we are here.

Sorry, I can't relate to feeling a need for purpose in life. Outside of religious debates/conversations I never think about it. I am an animal. Life consists of living and living consists of simple pleasures.
Like learning, building, developing, spending time with friends.

In hundred years none of this will matter but these things are pleasing to me and I find pursuing them to be constructive.

It’s a really good question. As an atheist In my 40s, and having lived a life of mostly of extreme privilege (acknowledged for the most part) I found meaning in lofty philosophical readings and thoughts. When I had that easy going life, finding meaning in reading, art and music and some sex, drugs and rock and roll was a peach. Now I am older and have seen death close up and for real, I find no meaning in anything really. Just emptiness. I don’t want to live harder and faster just because there is no afterlife and no god. I just see the world a struggle and a pain. No fancy food, travels or nice experiences can change that reality is cruel, and nothing lasts forever. Sometimes I even envy people with their delusions of god. At least their belief gives them some kind of anchor or hope. Sorry to be miserable but being a grieving atheist is an extremely heavy burden.

Livia Level 6 Sep 23, 2018

Wow... Truth without dressing or condiments. That’s how I like it.

I wasn’t expecting so much direct and straight forward honesty, but I love it. You have valid, strong points that are difficult to deny. I’m also in my 40s, but am still trying to find some viable alternative to nihilism. It’s hard though, because it seems to make so much sense...

Thanks for your thoughts

@Lucignolo thank you. I think atheists make a tough call. There is nothing except your conscience and hard cold reality. No comfort, no forgiveness, no cleansing of sin, no hope in an afterlife, and for many of us, no belief in soul. That’s a hard reality to choose when things are tough in life.
I choose the harshness of atheism because my brain will not permit illogical belief or delusional thinking. But I am aware such delusions offer a lot of people a cushion in life, a comfort blanket, and I cannot deny that would be nice to have. I can’t criticize people for wanting hope and comfort. It’s natural for most people to want and need something to believe in.

Science, knowledge and self constructed morality based on kindness and conviction to truth, while helping protect those needing protection from individuals and groups

...and why would Jordan Peterson, whoever he or she may be, have a better insight into what is best for you, than you.

He has interesting ideas worth considering. He is an author and wrote a whole book on meaning.

He doesn’t have the arrogance to dictate what’s meaningful to others. He approaches it from a philosophical/etiologic perspective.

As smart as one can be, by reading and listening to other’s ideas one can gain new perspective or straight learn things he had no clue about. That’s the idea behind education.

Most and foremost, I don’t care about meaning for myself. As I explained int he post, I’m trying to find better answers for religious people that can’t let go of religion because they can’t conceive the idea that life is meaningless. Some people find the idea of a meaningless universe absurd, not from a rational standpoint, but from an emotional one. They know religion is equally absurd deep down, but to many, the idea of a creator is less absurd than the idea of a universe with no purpose. I want a secular theory of meaning, but here nobody is up to the task. I have to say it’s disappointing to see most atheists here have given little thought to these issues.

@uuberdude yes, he’s wrong on many things, although articulate.

Some of the things he says are valuable though.

Life and the universe can have a meaning if you want it to, or not if you don’t. Your choices.

I think many people desperately need to feel their life has a meaning beyond materialistic or mundane things. That keeps them clinging to religion, charlatans, and other sellers of lies. I wish for a world free of religion and magical thinking. The only way it will be achieved is through an evolution of ideas. Atheism today is just nihilism, it offers no hope to people that can’t live without it or that are told to find their own. Since I want atheism to be a viable option, that can be successful, I am seeking new answers and engaging in all sorts of new ideas. That gives me meaning and purpose. ? Ultimately I’d like to leave the world a better place than I found it and I believe finding ways to allow people to digest and accept the truth is a great one.

@Lucignolo I agree totally with regard to the nihilistic aspect of atheism. The way it is presented in some schools of thought is no different to a proselytised religion with the same mentality in play as some of the fundamental aspects of Christianity and Islam. Just different content

@Lucignolo I would suggest that the first course of action is to encourage existential ideas. Heidegger brings in some good fundamentals but, for me, only really kicks things off. Overlay him with some Taoist and Negative Theology might take it further. I’m quite happy to be a sounding board or kick some ideas around if you would like

By being honest with and to yourself.

Good one

The dictionary, that’s my final answer.

It is hard for me to fully grasp the question. It begs of itself that you have to be searching for some "meaning." The meaning in your life is whatever you choose to give it. Does life, the universe, and even Cosmos have a meaning? I haven't got a clue. The thought seldom crosses my mind. If it bothers you and you really want to know the answer just join one of these groups who have all the answers. If they cannot explain it all for you history shows that they will start just making it all up.

If the universe has purpose or not seems like a no-brainer to me...the universe just is, it exist....like air, it serves a purpose...but does not "have" a purpose.... as an individual, my purpose in life is have as much quality of life as I can. I think religion trys to destroy quality of life by instilling guilt and fear in order to propagate itself, simply seeking adherence...I have, at seventy-five years of age, made many super bad choises in life, just letting life push me first one way, then another. And so it was later in life before learning that it was up to me to control my choices....I did any way, but never quite took responsibility for them....that happens when some un-known enity is given control of your life. Well...I'm ramblling again. Thank you all ...my two-bit advice in life is......don't wait too late in life before taking responsibility for what you say, think, and do....good luck with your life.

Very interesting! Thanks!

So, if the purpose of this life is supposed to be to get to heaven, what is the purpose of heaven once you are there? Does life become meaningless once you are in heaven? Does heaven then leave a vacuum in your afterlife?

I like that logic. It’s a great argument against religions that assign to this life the meaning of “quiz to get to heaven”. In that view I guess Heaven’s purpose is: being complete and being content to be with God and part of God or something like that I guess.

I, like you, don’t believe in Heaven or afterlife. Which means any meaning must be contained within this life and this life alone. I’m not opposed to the idea of “no meaning at all”. Although what I’m seeking is a secular idea of meaning. Something beautiful and thoughtful that can be used to offer some hope to religious people that can’t leave religion because they find the idea of “nothing matters” inconceivable. It’s a very hard task given most likely the universe just is, and life simply happened in a tiny tiny pocket. Even is that’s true, as I and most of you rationally expect, there may be broader philosophical justifications for meaning that are better then simply saying “find your own meaning” or “there is no meaning”.

@Lucignolo
Looking to heaven to make one "content" is really an admission that one has failed to find contentment in this life. I personally have no such problem and my life has been difficult in many ways. Even so, what magic would make one content or happy 24x7? It is not in human nature, or in nature period, to be ecstatic 24x7. That means that our very nature would have to be changed in some fundamental way that is incomprehensible. I think many people view heaven as similar to being in a drugged state 24x7 without falling prey to physical addiction. But this would essentially be similar to being in a zombie-like drugged state with no purpose other than to be "content". But isn't that just a more pleasant state of meaninglessness? If not, then what would the meaning of heaven life then be other than the pleasant eternal zombification? In a way, though pleasant, this actually sounds a little scary.
To me, life is full of meaning, and I pity those who find life meaningless and empty. Life is a neverending discovery and I live for that even though it is not always pleasant. But why should discovery always be pleasant, anyway? And if I were to look for some theoretical meaning beyond life, whatever that might be, it certainly wouldn't be some zombified drugged state. That is escaping life, not embracing it. And if you don't want to embrace life now, why would you want to embrace it forever? To me, looking for meaning "beyond" life is like an eye looking for itself or a hand attempting to grasp itself. It is simply an absurd exercise in escapist and meaningless futility while the true purpose and joys of life slip through your fingers.

After Mealy and before Meander in the Little Oxford Dictionary (6th Edition 1986)

none of that leaves a vacuum for me I understand your second paragraph very well and agree with you yet I find my life incredibly meaningful , fun and learning being uppermost. I think I have said this before -damn that short term memory! but life is what I choose to make it and I can choose to bitch about it and enjoy that or choose to do some really nice things that I will also enjoy- My motto - enjoy the moment i'm in. Of course there are hard times always lying in wait and if you have a history of 'enough' it is plenty buffering for the downsides.

I don't think life or the universe have purpose. If you want your life to have meaning you can try to figure something out. Helping other people & animals works for me most of the time.

Carin Level 8 Sep 14, 2018

There is no universal meaning and that is the beauty of it.
You can choose your own meaning, and this is so powerful because it is YOUR choice, you control it and no one can tell that it is fundamentally wrong (although it can be harmful or inconvenient to the rest of the world and then they can try to stop you).

I came across this quote a few months ago, it is attributed to Albert Camus; "The meaning of life is whatever I'm doing at the moment that keeps me from killing myself." I think that works for me.

Through a Biologist’s eyes ,the meaning of ALL life is to pass on our DNA. Evolution makes sure that the best Genetic material is chosen .For me personally,the meaning of life is the success of my children and their children in the betterment of Humanity !

Observing nature and reading scientific research work.

I try not to have meaning. It seems counterproductive to being nice to folks.

When I read the Bible, I find "meaning"....Lol!

The meaning I have found is knowing I'm free from the bs of religion/god. I have accepted that there is nothing after death and live life to the fullest.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:175242
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.