Agnostic.com

37 4

How many atheists here are musicians/artists

Am curious how many people without a belief in god tend to lean to aspects of music/art and creativity in general

• 52 votes
  • 38 votes
drovertone 3 Sep 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Retired professional graphic artist and spent the last 14 years teaching graphic design at the college level.

OCJoe Level 6 Sep 22, 2018

I don't think belief, or non-belief has anything to do with it.
Remember, some of the best art, and music in history were from believers.

I agree. But as time has gone on the people that are musicians and also very religious tend to only write about religion. At least that’s what I have seen in my own experiences. Also I think that nowadays creative people tend to lean twords not having a belief system. I used to be part of a church that would have secular music burnings in an attemp to only keep physical copies of music that was Christian. You would find everything under the sun in these boxes of cds. It was horrifying.

I'm an Atheist, I paint, sculpt, write poetry and the odd bit of prose from time to time when the Muses call, so to speak.

"Folk" artist. I work in cut paper.

I only started writing songs when I was 58 years old, but have written over two dozen since then. They are almost all protest songs that sing while accompanying myself on ukulele.

Since elementary school I have done graphic arts and editorial cartoons. These days I mostly create memes and T-shirt designs.

Other creative outlets include designing web sites, programming, writing legal briefs, and cooking. Recently started dabbling in video editing and animation.

I'm not at all musically inclined, but I enjoy various forms of visual art (e.g., drawing in various media and computer graphic design), and I enjoy writing stories and occasionally poetry.

I am a fiber and mixed media artist/instructor, I also play guitar and have been known to write a song here and there.

A third category of (none) to establish a ratio would have given you a much more interesting picture of the art/non art makeup of this group.

You’re absolutely right. That slipped my mind completely somehow and I should have thought of that, my apologies

Amateur musician and social dancer.

I enjoy both!

i don't paint often; i have not made jewelry for about a year either, but a year ago i was really into it. i am a writer.

g

I'm both an artist and musician. Also an inventor.

What have you invented? Do you own any patents? Just curious.

@Wallace Over a hundred inventions. Patents can cost up to 20K apiece and are instantly obsolete if you change anything in the design later on, to improve the invention. I wrote many inexpensive provisional patents and even found companies willing to license the inventions.

I was going to license inventions under the provisional patents and after the designs were shaken down to everyone's satisfaction, get the companies to pay the patent costs in lieu of a down payment of licensing fees, as is usual.

But when I studied recent changes in patent law, I saw that companies no longer have to pay licensing fees for provisional patents. Hopefully, this has been corrected, but now that I have cancer, I've put it all off anyway.

I use my inventions daily, as do a few friends who begged some designs off me.

My favorite is the "gallopers" which give humans the 4-footed advantage..I can lope along at jogging speed, with six-foot strides, barely touching the ground, but never slipping, or tiring, even on the steepest trails.

I use them daily since they also keep my joints loose and cures nausea, raises the mood, causes euphoria, fixes about anything having to do with backs or joints, makes me so loose I can bend over and lay my palms flat on the floor and hold it..and I'm 66 years old and never stretch.

It also makes abs hard as rock in only a few seconds use..making them wildly popular with friends who borrow them for a few minutes. I now don't lend them to anyone, since they won't give them back and want to fight me over them.

@birdingnut Whew!! Thanks--and best wishes with it all.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:184431
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.