Agnostic.com

39 4

How do you deal with bullies?

There's a lot of them in the atheism community - not necessarily specifically on this site (actually, on average, this site seems to have fewer) - just in general. Specifically, I mean people who belittle and demean you, though if you want to discuss physical ones, I'd be happy to listen. Hope you're all safe.

PolyWolf 7 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My dad used to say, not only do you have to beat them up but you have to actually chase them away too! My dad was old school OG I just give them my dinner money and be done with it.

Nardi Level 7 Sep 29, 2018

Their words only have the meaning you choose to allow, and in large measure reflect their own biases. Listen, learn, but don't take offense.

Dick punch ?. Or ignore them/eliminate them from your life.

Thank you, all. This has given me a lot to think about. I appreciate that more than you know.

I have only met a few bullies who were atheists but many who were christian and a few jews and muslims.

It depends a lot upon my mood, how much time I have, if it is in person or online, and who is being bullied.

For example, in my classroom I go over day one that I have a zero tolerance policy. I wrote one up the very first week of school this year and two since then. The first completely changed and is now one of my best students.

I am much more likely to engage if I see someone else being bullied, especially in person. However, I have been known to go on the attack online. If someone is trying to bully me, well I am no longer the scared little boy I was in school. If it is online I pound them mercilessly with facts and logic. If it is in person, I get to have real fun. You see I am 6'8" and near 300lbs, I have been a correctional officer and teacher, I have had a gun pulled on me four times to my face and laughed. Try to bully me in person and I promise you great fear without me saying or even really doing anything, it is all in the look. It has made grown men cry.

My Mom was 5ft 1in and faced down a young drunk Marine on her front porch with a mop. Sometimes tone of voice and a look is plenty!

Strike first.

"Specifically, I mean people who belittle and demean you, though if you want to discuss physical ones, I'd be happy to listen. " "...physical ones..." I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I would walk across the street to avoid a bully. Fifty years ago I would just beat the holy snot out of them. The problem with me fighting today is that I'm older and even if I win I might look the worst out of the deal. It's not worth it.

How do I deal with bullies? I ignore his Tweets...

"Hit first, Hit HARD. Hit often." --- Jack Reacher.

Yep, If you know someone will physically assault you from past experience, don't wait for them to strike. go ballistic. Eyes, throat, groin, nothing is off limits. make them hurt sooooooooo bad that they don't want to deal with it again.

The abused have an advantage, they know what pain is, the bully frequently has no first hand experience of that sort.

I do not know of any atheists who can legitimately be described as being bullies. Can you name any worth noting?

Most of the famous atheists are, honestly bullies. that doesnt make them wrong, but they still tend to be abusive and derisive.

Check out the Back to the future movies....

Stig Level 5 Sep 29, 2018

Online, block. In person, sock.

@kasmian YMMV. Not usually a problem for me one way or the other.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:189684
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.