Agnostic.com

89 13

How to reply when someone says 'have a blessed day'

Today like many days I been told have a blessed day by someone just being friendly. I'm not offended by it but a lot of times I want to say no thank you keep it to yourself or I don't need it but thanks. Any suggestions? Feel free to share any similar experiences

Uncledaddy999 4 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

89 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thank you is definitely a more appropriate reply. Why confront someone who’s just trying to be friendly even if you don’t agree with they’re religous beliefs.

And may Oden lead your battle.
And frigg grant you wisdom.
Pan's blessings to you too.
I hope you make Santa's good list.
Oracle insight to you.

"And happy orgasms to you"!

I just say thank you and keep it moving, it really doesn't bother me at all.

I cheerfully accept it as it is usually meant: not a theological statement, but a positive way of using a metaphor that reflects the well-wisher’s background or community. I can use all the well-wishers I can get!

I just accept it, usually it is just someone being friendly. Not like they are trying to convert you.

I respond with, "Thank you. And you have yourself a terrific day!"

I just say "uh, thanks' and go on about my business. This is not the hill I'm going to die on.

GwenC Level 7 Oct 23, 2018

Thank them. At the end of the day, they are wishing you well and being nice. So, be nice as well.

The first time I hear that phrase was from a pagan friend of mine. Because of that, it has never bothered me.

For me, "have a blessed day" is the same as "have a great day". I just thank them and go about my day.

Good reply.

I usually say "Ta, have a good one yourself". But after reading and watching The Handmaid's Tale, it does creep me out a bit.

"Thank you". They're simply wishing you well.

I would agree half the time. Sometimes it's the somber tone when the person says 'have a blessed day' that does not lead me to believe they are wishing me well at all. It more like they're saying 'thank you , have a crappy day'. It's those people who should inject the latter part to descibe how the actually feel.

@Uncledaddy999

I see. I completely misunderstood you. I thought you were posting about people insinuating religion into their well-wishing. But it sounds like you're talking more about insincere, even sarcastic people who may be making snide remarks.

In that case, I would probably still thank them sincerely. First, it puts you above them as far as to who is the better person in the situation. Second, if they truly are being snide, it will eat at them that you did not pick up on their intended slight. Besides, it pays to keep one's energy positive even when others are being dickheads.

I don't get offended. They are being friendly in their own language. I just respond with a smile and say something like "You have a happy day, too."

By the way: the Greek word for 'blessed' can also be translated as 'happy'. And the originally-Greek New Testament is probably where they get the 'blessed' word. So I mentally re-translate it as 'happy'.

f' you. Just kidding.

I just say "thank you" and "you too". They mean well.

@OwlInASack I have experimented with telling a few people who wish to "bless" me: "Thank you, I appreciate your kind thought... but I don't believe in blessings." Only one was curious, pleasant, and discussed it with me; the rest got defensive.

Same with "Merry Christmas". Some people mean it as a generic good wish for the season, many mean it as a good wish for the festival they celebrate in honor of their particular version of Jesus Christ and assume you do, too, and some people use it as a dog whistle.

So, I agree with you... some people are saying "I want you to know that I'm religious" or "I want you to know that I'm a Christian".

I usually say with a smile on my face -- I guess that's better than having a cursed day.

This phrase has become more prominent among evangelicals over the past 10 yrs or so. Although on level it is a benign way of wishing you well, it's also a "dog whistle" technique by which they are sounding you out to determine whether you are part of their "tribe." A fellow evangelical will respond in kind, but if you're flummoxed or just say "have a good day" you have "outted" yourself as a non-evangelical. I sometimes tailor my response depending upon the situation... we have evangelicals in my extended family that I don't really want to argue with. To them I usually say "Blessed Be", just because it's almost a mirror response, but it's also a common greeting amongst Wiccans, so I'm sure it leaves them flummoxed, rather than me!

I sometimes wish people blessings, meaning I hope good things come their way. Even when I know the person saying "Have a blessed day" probably means "Be blessed by God", I simply take it as a kind gesture wishing me well. My response is usually "Thanks, you too." I don't take it to mean they're pushing their religion on me.

MimiD Level 3 Oct 23, 2018

My favorite paraphrase is "Have a Magically Enchanted Day!" from Aron Ra, a YouTube Atheist luminary. That just slays me, 🙂

I feel you. I'm surrounded by people who say that stupid shit to me, all the time.
Yes, I know they mean well, but their assumption is that I share their delusions, which I do not.
It's infuriating that their delusions effect my life in so many ways.
I have NO respect for their beliefs. I barely tolerate them.

Lol, yup yup yup.

When a Wiccan or other neo-pagan says "Bless-ed Be!" I respond with different things, but in the same vein:

"What's wrong with Ed's bees?!"

"Who is this Ed, and what power do I have to bless his bees?"

I just don't acknowledge it. Most of the time the intentions are good

It drives me crazy. These people assume we are believers and should not be saying this shit IMO.

At least where I live (CA) blessings often have no religious connotation at all. I guess we are assuming that humans can bless each other. It just expresses your wish for them to be happy & well.

Carin Level 8 Oct 28, 2018

My sister is Wiccan and she uses Blessed Be a lot.......

Reetz Level 4 Oct 25, 2018

Thanks. You have a nice day as well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:206995
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.