Agnostic.com

89 13

How to reply when someone says 'have a blessed day'

Today like many days I been told have a blessed day by someone just being friendly. I'm not offended by it but a lot of times I want to say no thank you keep it to yourself or I don't need it but thanks. Any suggestions? Feel free to share any similar experiences

Uncledaddy999 4 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

89 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Say "Thank you." or "Thanks." Move on with your day. It's just a common courtesy, nothing religious about it at this point IMO.

I've never known a non-religious person to use that expression.

@ailurophile agreed, but that sentiment is expressed in a generic way with no god references. I think it’s just a nice send off. It’s kind of a way of showing tolerance both ways. I’m not really sure what a blessed day entails but compared to a lot of my days, hell id give it a try?

I've had this happen to me enough ?. I usually just say thanks and move on. I think of it like their way of saying "hope your day is well". ??

Jaed Level 5 Oct 24, 2018

I am going to presume that most know that blessed is a pagan/witch other, greeting and is not a religion while most pagan show admiration for the gods of their ancestors very few actually worship them. pagan in its true definition simply means country dweller and has no ties to any thing religious. but they still use the phrase be blessed which in ancient touge means to be favored by life's "coincidences" I find no offence when a christian tells me they will pray for me, I will simply reply in return, and bless you as well. I find most religious folks are just showing compassion and not pushing their beliefs, but for those that do.... be careful with me I am fully armed with lots of scientific and documented knowledge. lol.

Quite a few do worship the gods of their ancestors, or of someone else's ancestors. Some Wiccans treat Wicca like a religion. I've met people from a number of Neo-Pagan sects who follow Norse, or Irish, or "Celtic", or Egyptian, or Greek, or Roman,etc... gods/goddesses, or a combination from various pantheons that they've picked and chosen.

"Bless" started out in Old English as "blood". In what ancient language does it mean "be favored by life's coincidences"?

I've found the "Have a blessed day" comment to be annoying, but I try to keep it in context of just a form of wishing someone well in a different way. I've thought of saying something like "Thanks, may your day keep evolving" or something along that line, but I typically just say "Thanks" or nod and smile.

Ha! I'll have to remember that: "May your day keep evolving."

When someone tells me this, I want to ask why. but I usually stop myself. What really sets me off sets me off is when someone says "I'll pray for you", i alw as ys say please dont, Im very happy with my life and the decisions I've made.

It seems after every mass murder, natural disaster, etc.. in the US there's now an outpouring of

Who are you to tell your deity who they shall bless?

Smile and nod, keep walking. Never ever say "you too".

I guess I’m not so diametrically opposed or militant about non-belief that I would be offended. Though, it does feel awkward to me, I just accept it in the spirit in which it was intended, that is, to bestow upon me what they believe to be a powerful gift.

Gesundheit.

Honestly I'm cool with the suggestions you made.

Thank you would be more appropriate.

@Trajan61 no thank you

@JurassicT4 So you are a confrontational type?

@Trajan61 nope, nothing wrong with telling them like it is respectfully.

@JurassicT4 I’m afraid I would loose business if I did that but if that’s what you want to do power to you! ?

@Trajan61 yeah, power to you too...

Depending on the individual, or group I’m surrounded by, I have a few different responses. Normally I go with a generic, “thanks”. Sometimes I respond with, “you too” if it’s an elder. If I want a chuckle among friends I’ll say “god isn’t real”. Or if I want to be cynical I’ll say, “I wish you luck”.

Just say thank you....it was probably made with good intent. We don’t have Atheist written on our foreheads, so people can’t know we don’t believe.

Thank you

gater Level 7 Oct 23, 2018

I just say, you too.

It's just a greeting. I treat it that way.

How about "Thank you and you too".

I usually respond; "I'll do my best." No point in getting all defensive or challenging them on it. It's a throwaway line so I treat it like one.

as joe said: context. context includes mood. it actually does bother me but i never heard it from anyone i actually know. it's always from strangers. i do hate it though.

g

When someone tells me to have a blessed day or even blesses me when I sneeze, I want to scratch their eyes out!

I'm gonna start replying with "and may the Force be with you!" Counter irrelevance with irrelevance!

"Beam me up, Scotty"....(cause there's obviously no intelligent life here?) 😉 😉

My usual response is to smile and say, “And best of luck to you!” And I certainly mean it when I say it. But I don’t thank them for it. Someone wishing me a blessed day when they could just as easily wish me a good day suggests an agenda that has more to do with spreading the Gospel than spreading good will. It may seem like a harmless form of proselytizing by well-meaning Christians, but it is proselytizing just the same, and it sweetly stops with me every time someone wishes me a “blessed” day.

May the force be with you!

I just say Peace ! That's it...nothing more.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:206995
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.