Agnostic.com

73 7

Is This Taboo?

So..here is my question, Why is waiting till marriage for sex so odd to people? Why is it not respected?

KitKat1996 4 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

73 comments (51 - 73)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe because it's similar to women wearing the Burka, in that those wearing it claims it's their choice, but we all know there are cultural pressures in place to encourage them do so.
It looks like they have caved and lead oppressed lives.
It's difficult to respect something you perceive to be an attack on free will.

I waited. Not because I let other people decide when I should have sex; it just fells right to me. Can't prove that though.

I personally don't believe it's odd. Just not what would recommend if I were actually asked. My grown kids have never asked but know (or think I do) that have had premarital sex.

I don't desrespect those who choose to wait. Consenting adults can choose when and if to have sex (obviously). I just would recommend it. Especially, for religious reasons.

@gingervista sorry. I just realized that I screwed up by not typing "would NOT recommend it" correctly.

Is there a reason for this concept outside of religion? If so, I would like to know.

I have no problem with sex before marriage but the short answer is "babys".

I think the old " marry a Virgin" ideology goes way back is mainly based on the idea that by marrying and bedding a virgin meant that the male can be assured that ANY off-spring produced are his off-spring and his alone, i.e. the archaic Macho thing.
My Evangelist next door neighbour, almost 55 years old and still single btw, has been seeking a ' Virgin wife' for the last 5 years that I know of, his excuse is that the Bible tells him that a man should ONLY ever marry a Virgin, so when I asked him once, Yes, a very unwise thing to do, actually ask a Believer ANY question, " What would be so bad about perhaps falling in love and marrying a Divorced Woman, don't they deserve to be loved as well?"
His reply, " Since they've already been married and had sex with a man the bible tells me that I can never be certain that it is MY seed that created our child and not that of her ex-husband."
FFS, that's as much as stupid an argument as some Pedigreed Dog Breeder use when a bitch of theirs has had a litter of cross-breed puppies, i.e. "You can NEVER be certain of the Lineage of any further litters of pups the bitch has, the sperm that caused those cross-breed pups is still inside of her."
Shit, anyone with half a brain and modicum of knowledge knows that sperm only survives within the female body for a maximum of 3-5 days after being deposited then it is no longer viable and absorbed into the female body as nutrients.
The old joke of; "Why is a Man who marries a Virgin like the Captain of the Starship Enterprise," comes to mind here; and the answer being, " Because he is boldly going where NO man has been before," always makes me laugh because I'd much rather make love to a woman who has had previous sexual experience than a pure novice any time, i.e. Only a complete and utter FOOL would try to ride an unbroken horse across country.

Times change. It has fallen out of fashion.

skado Level 9 Oct 29, 2018

What is taboo for one person , is not necessarily so for another.Unless you are crippled by the guilt of religion.However, I respect the views of the individual .

I personally would not even consider marring someone I had not had sex with first. Although sex is not the be all and end all of a relationship, it is a very big part of it. How do you know if you are compatible? and if you can keep your hands (and other bits) away from each other till the wedding day? What does that say about your desire for each other?

How many of these so-called " Sexually Compatible" relationships/marriages end up in Divorce Courts/Separations?

I set the monogamous relationship rule. I feel like a dying breed.

@Wangobango3 How, exactly are Monogamy and Marriage " 2 different things?

@Wangobango3 But does not the Xtian State, in particular DECREE that ' marriage MUST be Monogamous, ergo ' personal commitment' has no choice in either legally does it?

Mostly waiting until marriage for sex is something a man hates. Men want sex and it's the driving force in their lives. This is why a man will tell you anything to get sex and he also poisons the minds of your girlfriends. Do I want sex? Of course, but I'm not going to lie to you to get it. When I was younger I might have told you about the strange disease I have in which I will die if I do not get sex on a regular basis. Today I'm an honest man.

It's not taboo (to society in general). It can appear odd and still be respected. ?

When answering a question, it is generally a good idea to read and to understand the question. Very few of the people responding to this question seem to have done that. Given that we are meant to be a community of freethinkers many seem to have wanted to push their opinions on the questioner. If one is to be a freethinker they must respect freedom of thought in others, even if it is different to their own ideas. I think the answer is that waiting until marriage for sex is contrary to popular opinion, and it is odd to people because they want to fit in with popular opinion. I had, and have, sex whenever I can; but I still respect other's decisions to do differently.

The social contract with religious undetones isn't working for 50% of marriages anyways. Most sex is disappointing or overrated. What if you marry someone and the sex is TERRIBLE? Only young and idealistic people think that bad sex won't end a marriage.

I have no plans for marrying anyone anyway, so should I stay chaste till death?

Keita Level 5 Oct 29, 2018

But if you have only ever had sex with one partner then it is the best sex you have ever had!

@DoctorJohn and the worst....

I donno if it's taboo..I think people just question why is it a thing to begin with? What's the logic?

Prior to birth control & penicillin it was more logical....traditions die hard.

@Carin very true my friend..Past that though...

Now interestingly enough if you read any Marquis De Sade,his works often highlight the birth control methods of the time.

@josh23452 They didn't work very well & I'm sure he didn't care either. Women (mostly) have struggled to control their fertility since before the ancient Egyptians, who used crocodile dung.

Yes, thank goodness we are past that! But as I said, we keep doing things the same way no matter if there is still a reason to do so or not. We sometimes keep doing them even when nobody even remembers why we started.

@Carin sounds like definition number 2 of insanity right there. Lol

@josh23452 Wow-it really is--on a cultural level!

@Carin did you ever hear about an experiment done with apes that involves a hose,some food and a ladder?

So some time ago an experiment was done where some apes were put in a room with some food being hung up and at first a chimp would go to get the food at which point all of em were sprayed with water...and this scenario repeated itself until anytime one of em went to grab the food, the others would attack it...

So one by one they would switch out an chimp who would then try to get the food and then get attacked by the group..And then this was repeated until none of the original subjects was left, yet each time one went for the food the group would attack the offending ape.

(Cruel experiment aside)...Sounds similar dontcha think?

@josh23452 That is horrible but the results are not surprising.

@Carin oh yes I agree the experiment itself was quite douchebaggy...Monkey fights aside I can't help but compare it to the idea of holding off on sex till marriage

Exactly what kkgator said .
@kkgator

How do you pull up someone's site name like that? You know with the '@' and the blue lettering.

@Sticks48 just type the @ the user name afterwards without space btwen , and u push done or reply is done ?

@Sticks48 did u read all the comments on this thread ? I am about to get my turrets again ! ?

@Pralina1 Go get'em. I love it when you get feisty, as long as it isn't aimed at me. ☺

@Pralina1 Thanks. Now l just feel stupid. I thought there was some secret place you went to find them. How do they come up blue? Am l going to look even more stupid over this question? I'm not sure l belong in the 21st Century. I barely had 20th Century skills.

@Sticks48 u and I both . Besides work tech , I can't tell u a thing of the tech life . My lap top is 11 yrs old and somewhere in a cabinet I believe . I do any work related things at work , and I use my phone for at home . No need for anything else for me , really ?. Reading the news and play at y tube , and I just found out that u can make a meme out of a selfie if u download an app . I feel Einstein this wknd ?

@Pralina1 I got a lap top that l can tether to my phone, that way l am not paying more for the net. It was really messing with my eyes if l was using my phone for this stuff. I would go somewhere and everything would be a little blury for a long time. Even watching the TV, things were a little out of focus.

I waited until I was ready, but it had nothing to do with waiting for marriage -- first of all, what if you never get married or only do so later in life? Should you remain celebrate indefinitely? I've always wondered about that with people who believe in waiting for marriage, what do you do if a potential spouse doesn't show up... The alternative isn't rushing into sex if you're not ready, I really believe in being ready and for someone like me that may be taking time for one's self first... But to get back to your question, nothing "wrong" per se about waiting until marriage, just understanding that a lot of this came from antiquated religious ideas about "purity" and from a time when women didn't own or control their sexuality.

Marriage is a huge step, if one considers it a life-long commitment. Sex is far less daunting.

I suppose it depends on your view of sex.

Do you believe the catholic version that sex is purely for procreation and it is the wife's duty to submit to her husband?

Or do you believe that sex can be a beautiful union between two consenting adults that can bring great pleasure?

However, in either case, the choice should be yours only when you feel ready to commit to it.

Because it's no longer taboo.

Because if you want to only have sex with one person for the rest of your life wouldn't you want it to be someone you know you're compatible with? Would you buy a car without a test drive, and on top of that you've never driven any car? I'll respect someone's decision on something like this, but I'd also tell you it's a foolish decision if you ask.

Should be Respected... your call... your choices. A lot of people no longer respect marriage as a normal option so...

First off I question weather or not waiting is "so odd to people".. What gave you that idea? Secondly, I respect your right to do whatever the fuck you want, including fucking whoever, whenever you want. The big question is, do you respect people who reach a different conclusion? There are places today where people are killed by there own kin for unauthorized fooling around. This is rooted in religous dogma that I despise. in any of it's perverted forms.

Think about this. Unless you blog to the world what your genitals are doing how do I know if you deserve my respect. This should be a matter of self respect.

to whom is it odd? it is odd to some and not odd to others. it may seem odder to people who want to sleep with you (that's the general "you" and not necessarily you personally) because they don't want to wait and anything that thwarts their wishes is odd. it isn't actually anybody else's business. you are perhaps talking about society? there is no single thing called society. there are parts of it that don't care and parts of it that condone it and parts of it i suppose that condemn waiting, but i have not run into those last.

g

I do not find it odd but i was never married but had lots of sex till last 2 years. I see no real point of marriage unless kids and lagacy

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:210902
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.