Agnostic.com

68 7

What is the most underrated movie in your opinion?

We've all watched that one hidden treasure that very few people know about. The movie that you don't get tired of watching over and over again, because you can identify with it on a deep, personal level. What is that movie for you? And can you make a strong case for why everyone needs to watch it, too?

For me, it's definitely "Gattaca". There are no words for me to describe how deeply I feel about this movie. It was released in the same year as Titanic (1997), so you can easily see how it was overshadowed by it. Nevertheless, it was nominated for the Academy Award for the best production design. I don't want to spoil anything, but if you're interested in ethics, astronomy, and genetics, you should definitely watch this masterpiece.

Darius77 6 Nov 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm an antipodean so...
Bad Boy Bubby
Romper Stomper
Gallipoli
Once Were Warriors
Rabbit Proof Fence
Peter Jackson's first three - Bad Taste, Meet The Feebles and Brain Dead
The Piano

@powder be still, cat!

Rabbit Proof Fence, so awesome.

Idiocracy. For some, the future is here and now.

Repo Man. Totally twisted!

Oh man, I forgot about that one.
That's a classic.

That twist made the movie. It was good up until that twist. Then it became great.

Terry Gilliams 'Brazil'. Cannot get enough of it, there is so much going on in the background.
And 'Pan's Labyrinth'. Which I do not really understand, but love for the settings.

Tilia Level 7 Nov 1, 2018

Brazil's a real headtrip. It's worth seeing just to experience Gilliam's wild imagination and I've always thought that the Faun and the world of the Labyrinth was Ophelia's escape into her own imagination from the evil and cruelty around her.

@Sgt_Spanky WOW !! You have see Pans Labyrinth. I am so impressed, so few people have seen it.

@Tilia I see everything Guillermo del Toro makes.

Pan's Labyrinth! Yes!

Pan's Labyrinth was fantastic also concur with Guillermo del Toro comment that was made.

My Dinner With Andre.
A sleeper.
2 men having a conversation for the whole movie. Slow to develop... but it does!

The Fisher King.

My list would be fairly long. Here are two. "Big Night", with Stanley Tucci and "Nobody's Fool", with Paul Newman.

"Nobody's Fool" ist genial

Inherit the Wind

Spencer Tracey's speech

The best ghost story movie ever; creepy and haunting. Found it by accident one day many years ago and LOVED it. Seen it numerous times since.

Huge fan of Gattaca, must just be the broken ladder in me but I'm a fan.

I don't necessarily agree that an underrated movie requires that everyone watch it. I'm okay with some people liking it and appreciating the genius of it. But here's my list:

10 Cloverfield Lane - the best reason to watch it gives away too much of the plot, but a genius movie

Battlefield: Los Angeles - I'm sure I'll take heat but the character development in this movie is epic, there were a lot of other "flaws" in the movie that you need to overlook

Big Trouble in Little China - This was one of those movies that was changed and hit speed bumps and somehow came out as a pure classic in a action/comedy genre that didn't exist at the time.

Equilibrium - Reminds me a bit of Gattaca, but this is a simple concept for a movie where you have a future without emotion and you need to ignore the major obvious flaw that a good movie requires emotion on some level but if you get past that it's fantastic.

Grandma's Boy - I just don't know how this movie is a favorite of mine but still.

Hot Rod - They somehow acted like the 4th wall didn't exist

In Time - Not the best acting but the concept and writing is extremely thought invoking

Jennifer's Body - The things that come out of Megan Fox's mouth are just...dirty and odd

Ghosts of Mars - John Carpenter's sci-fi take on mass possession by aliens, the acting is just fucking horrible but I honestly feel like it's a super fun movie

Kung Fu Hustle - This is probably the best underrated movie on my list, I can't explain the awesomeness of kung fu hilarity

Lockout - I'm sure Guy Pierce was just collecting a paycheck on a free weekend but he's one of the best asshole one-liner droppers I didn't know existed.

Man on Fire - I love Creasy Bear

Maximum Overdrive - Machines take over the world way back when machines taking over the world wasn't really a thought

MegaMind - Will Farrell as a cartoon villain and I'm not sure how this isn't more beloved.

Mr. Brooks - The only movie I liked Dane Cook in because he was getting schooled by a psychopathic Kevin Costner with a William Hurt killer alter ego

Mystery Men - The Shoveler is my role model

Ong Bak - If you like martial arts movies this is one of your favorites

Out Cold - This movie is hysterical, fight me.

Pandorum - Creepy, scary, and twisty at the same time

Ronin - Robert DeNiro "I never walk into a place I don't know how to walk out of" "So why would you go in there?" "You know the answer"

Rounders - At the height of poker hype they decided to drop this awesome movie with John Malkovich eating too many oreos

Star Trek Beyond - Surfing on a wave of exploding drones because you're blasting the Beastie Boys, literal tear to my eye

Tag - Recent release but a really fun and great feel-good movie

The Cabin in the Woods - Joss Whedon's take on horror and twisted up in a unique manner

The Descent (1 & 2) - Watch it alone with the lights off

The Intern - I can't even explain why I thought this movie was so good, it's got nothing I like in it but I love the characters and development

The Last Dragon - Yes it's early 80's blacksploitation at its finest but Sho Nuff it's got a great ending

The Losers - Comic book movie with too much plot they tried to pack in but great action and acting

The New Guy - Hysterical comedy while playing the FUNK

The Rundown - The Rock's first (legitimate) solo action movie, dumb actiony fun

Unstoppable - I really liked the character development and plot in a "true" story

Waiting - If you've ever served tables in a chain restaurant, this hits too close to home

Warcraft - I was really surprised but this movie is really well done, the writing is solid and the special effects are some of the best ever

Warm Bodies - Romeo & Juliet in zombies, kind of silly but really cute

We're the Millers - I've got no regerts

You're Next - I was all, oh they're gonna die and she's all, no THEY'RE all gonna die and I was like ... wut?

Happy movieing

VERY nice list!

I thought Star Trek Beyond was the best Star Trek movie in a very long time! More than any other, I felt like it truly captured the sense of the original series. I felt like the first reboot was a movie that targeted people who didn't like Star Trek; with this one it got back to what is really supposed to be.

Thanks folks, I think with art, books, music, & movies, that we're quick to criticize and slow to praise. Haters get the laughs and fans tie themselves to the anchor. I've found myself to be much happier focusing on the positive and giving less attention to the negative. Now if I can only figure out how to do that with people...

John Goodman was scary AF in 10 Cloverfield Lane. If it were not for the last 20 minutes or so that could have been a terrific psychological thriller.

@GwenC See I LOVED the last 20 minutes because I don't think that portion had ever been done in any other movie.

@mattersauce when it took that Syfy turn they totally lost me. Up to that point I thought it was great.

"The World According to Garp"

Momento

Enemy Mine

Great short story, too.

Two for me would be Wind River and Chilfren of men.

Children of Men. Gah.

I don't think enough credit was given to "Dr. Strangelove (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb). Some remember Peter Sellars' terrific performance in 3 roles, but all the actors were perfect for the story- and the story itself is still relevant today, as we stand at the brink !

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Drama. For deep thinkers only...

I haven't seen the film. The book (which I heard on audio) is very moving.

I definitely have a lot of catching up to do! Has anyone seen Sideways (2004)? It's so witty, filled with hilarious dialogues. Cracks me up every single time.

@Maiasaura
I LOVED Sideways. Will definitely check out Bottle Shock!

The Ruling Class.

[rottentomatoes.com]

Yes, that would be on my list.

A very obscure called The gods must be crazy

Great movie! Hilarious!!

Great movie. I forgot about that one.

One of my favorite movies!

The Station Agent. It's a unique story about three people from starkly different backgrounds who end of becoming best friends.

Is that the movie with Peter Dinklage
If so it was a an excellent movie.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, such a random movie but I loved it.

I just found a 2018 movie that probably qualifies as well: Prodigy. It looks and feels like it was made decades ago, is much shorter than today's movies, and has a fairly simple and straightforward plot, but it really resonated with me.

The Brother From Another Planet

@PalacinkyPDX ...and horribly underused since then.

Closer, Cousins, and Big Fish.

I love Big Fish.

Especially at the end when you see the stories were maybe a tiny bit true.

@BufftonBeotch I agree! It was a very different love story, in my opinion.

Waterworld

it might come true if all the ice caps melt

❤️❤️ Gattaca! I’ve shown it in my middle school classroom while teaching about genetics and the future of “designer babies,” kids really love it. Also, the climactic scene between the brothers (I never saved anything for the trip back.) is one of my favorite movie moments, so powerful in regards to what we can overcome in life...

"For someone who was never meant for this world I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving. Maybe I'm going home"

Lantana

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:213272
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.