Agnostic.com

68 7

What is the most underrated movie in your opinion?

We've all watched that one hidden treasure that very few people know about. The movie that you don't get tired of watching over and over again, because you can identify with it on a deep, personal level. What is that movie for you? And can you make a strong case for why everyone needs to watch it, too?

For me, it's definitely "Gattaca". There are no words for me to describe how deeply I feel about this movie. It was released in the same year as Titanic (1997), so you can easily see how it was overshadowed by it. Nevertheless, it was nominated for the Academy Award for the best production design. I don't want to spoil anything, but if you're interested in ethics, astronomy, and genetics, you should definitely watch this masterpiece.

Darius77 6 Nov 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Also "The Magic Christian" Peter Sellers and Ring Star "Bedazzled" The original Peter Cook and Dudley Moore version

In my opinion Prisoners, Blue Jasmine, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Rush, Moneyball, The Rover.

I've heard great things about The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford for years but I've somehow never gotten around to watching it. I'll have to try to make time for it soon!

@Seeker3CO Yes, glad you agree! They're fantastic films and weren't recognized as they should be!

@orange_girl It is definitely one of my all time favorites!

@cmadler It really is a great film with some great acting! You should give it a watch sometime.

Dangerous Liasons....it is a movie that taught me the dangers of "harmless" seduction...plus, I love all of the actors and actresses in this movie...

Kiss of the Spider Woman
Raúl Julia and William Hurt

I'd have to go with a couple of underappreciated works that are generally well-regarded but not seen as much as they should be, "City of Hope" by John Sayles and "The Paper" by Ron Howard. I would consider both to be masterpieces of storytelling.

Bigfish
Peaceful Warrior
The last samurai
Hidalgo
I love so many underrated movies!

One of my favorite films is "Singing in the Rain". It's hilariously funny and the dancing is spectacular.

I'm an antipodean so...
Bad Boy Bubby
Romper Stomper
Gallipoli
Once Were Warriors
Rabbit Proof Fence
Peter Jackson's first three - Bad Taste, Meet The Feebles and Brain Dead
The Piano

@powder be still, cat!

Rabbit Proof Fence, so awesome.

A Superhero movie called :"Super" and "District 9." Both a wee bit off of the beaten path,, But must sees imho..

I loved District 9.

The footage of the last Thylacine. Link provided. It is only three mins. of your time, for something profoundly sad.

Gattaca has been my favorite movie since I first watched it.

Let’s see, underrated movies that haven’t been mentioned..

28 Days Later - In regards to zombie(ish) movies, this one is in a league of its own.

Pandorum - Sci-fi/horror/thriller with one hell of a story and the ending tops it off.

Running Scared - This movie is to Paul Walker what The Dark Knight was to Heath Ledger.

Marz Level 7 Nov 2, 2018

Gattaca is definitely a good choice. Gee I’m going to really ponder this question. There could be so many in different genres. Nice question and suggestion.

I loved Stardust. But also like 50 first dates, Mask, Erin Brokavitch and RHPS.

OOOhhh 'Stardust' Loved the film AND book. Massive Gaiman nerd.

I have several, but #1 on the list is Fight Club, and #2 is Antwone Fisher. Edward Norton is one of my favorite actors, and he was amazing in Fight Club. Antwone Fisher was Denzel Washington’s directorial debut. Both movies have such deep meaning, and I have shown both movies in group settings (substance abuse treatment and sex offender treatment program), and they helped many clients drop defenses and face those deep seeded issues they have been burying for the majority of their lives. Both are excellent movies.

Edward Norton is so underrated! American History X is another great movie that doesn't get the credit it deserves.

I thought Cabin in the Woods was amazing, but nobody I know was interested in seeing it!

Now, IF you were asking about 'over-rated' movies that'd be different since my list would begin with " Titanic" - the version with Leonardo de Crappio starring, followed a very close equal being ALL Biblical based movies and or religion based ' Life Stories/Documentaries.'
But, imo, the most under-rated movie of all time would have to " St. Helens."

I too liked Gattaca. Some others:
October Sky
Dr. Edward Jenner: The man who cured smallpox

Mystery Alaska.
Not a lot of people saw it, but it was a great feel good movie.

it was a hockey movie pretty good

Fresh (I'm curious, how many people here have seen it?)
Higher Learning

Buxx Level 7 Nov 1, 2018

Fresh is a fucking amazing film.

If I base this on movies I watch over and over again it would be The Martian, The Boat That Rocked and Sink The Bismarck 🙂

Antonia's Line! It's a foreign flick, but I trust reading isn't an issue ?

Karuk Level 6 Nov 1, 2018

"The Loved Ones" with Jonathan Winters, Robert Morris, and Rod Steiger. A funny movie, dark but funny.

@PalacinkyPDX At the time I had a crush on Anjanette Comer.

Slap Shot

How is Logan underrated? It was highly praised by critics and fans.

@joeymf86 it wasn't talked about much, and at the box office it deserved better, but fuck it, I'm going with Logan.

Im a huge film buff, and there is a plethora of movies that are great that don't get seen by wide audiences.

Here's a small list of films I'd recommend:
We Are Stilll Here.
Baskin
The Void
Sorry to Bother You
Interview with a Hitman
The Man From Earth
Wind River
Hell or High Water
Predestination

I have a hundreds more under appreciated gems.

Hell or high water got nothing but high praise from movie fans though.

@JurassicT4 from all 25 of us that saw it. Lol.
It grossed a whopping 27m, which is a damned shame

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:213272
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.