Agnostic.com

44 2

POF - Plenty of Fish. Anyone familiar with it or use it? What are your thoughts on pof?

RYSR10 6 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments (26 - 44)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have no personal experience with POF, but I do have a close friend who found her future husband on the site. They have now been dating for more than two years, living together most of that time. They are engaged. I do not recall off the top of my head when the wedding is, and I will likely miss it because they live too far away, but they seem compatible and happy.

But beyond that one example, I know nothing.

I have a free POF account and have for years. It is just another dating site but has fewer scammers than any other. I recommend it since it is free and you are still able to contact and chat with others. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

ETA: I must admit that I am NOT looking for a partner, soulmate, serious commitment, I am only looking for friendship, NOT love. I have met a few "friend with benefits there, so what can I complain about. LOL

@Akfishlady my granddaughter found her husband there

I tried it before. It sucks!

I'm on there. Limited success. Have met some women but none long term although I'm Facebook friends with some I dated a few times.We became friends, but not really close friends. We liked each other but not long-term romantically. Nothing wrong with friends.

Like a lot of dating sites, people are looking for perfection or a perfect match. Lots of women wanting "Christians". which leaves me out. Also, I'm not perfect, so that leaves me out. I'm a sarcastic smart-ass, so that's been a problem.

I've been on a couple, including POF (because it's free if I don't update). I've not had a lot of luck. I get a lot of men "interested", but none of them are even remotely feasible. For example, I stated no more than 50 miles away, yet the vast majority of contacts are much further away, spread out all over the US....and some even in Spain and the UK! Then there are the spammers, the trolls, the players, the bots, the rude people, etc. It's rare to meet someone who actually corresponds to my criteria--and I've worded my profile very clearly. And then, if I actually meet and date someone, it never goes beyond a first date, either by his, mine, or mutual choice. But getting even that far is very rare.

marga Level 7 Feb 9, 2018

Like AzVixen52 I try to be honest about myself on my profile. Being in south Georgia and listing yourself as "not religious" makes it hard to find a match. But it's always better to not start anything than waste your time. I do think POF is pretty good, I know a few people that found their mates there. My exwife for one (that is a good thing).

A note about profiles that say "Not religious." It doesn't suffice for me. Being atheist is very different from "not religious."

@BlueWave I identify as a "none" more than a atheist or agnostic. My view is maybe god exist maybe he/she don't but I don't really care either way. If a god does exist I hope it isn't the Abrahamic god.

I've had a profile for a while, but nothing substantial has come from it. I'm not terribly invested in it, and I take a laid back approach by just having my profile out there and letting them message me. That is mainly due to the fact that I know women get dozens or even hundreds of messages at a time and chances of mine getting lost in the mire of crap, regardless of how good of a letter I write, will be lost anyways.

I've become a picky asshole myself when every message is a "hey there" or something like that, which doesn't help when there is waves of bots that do the same. I've met some nice people, and had some decent enough conversations, but it ultimately evaporates for one reason or anther.

I'll keep my line in the water though, and just carry on with my life until then.

The only way to go lower is to try craigslist... Crappy site in my experience.

OkCupid has been the best on for me. If you answer 100+ questions, the match %s are pretty accurate.

All dating sites have catfish, match.com more than OkCupid for me.

I've been on and off POF for the last few years. I never even landed a date from that site while a female friend of mine got plenty of dates. This site and another are the only sites I'm on now. It is a jungle out there.

I have an account but it's been inactive for years. Got a lot of scammers, and quite a few men who may or may not have been able to read; they seemed to look at photos and then say things that my profile should have precluded.

Guys that are genuinely looking for connections are outnumbered by creeps and people looking for sex which chases women off the site and makes finding anyone very difficult.

Out numbered is enough of a problem as ratio to females to males. Although that is an issue you mention, I would argue a vast number of females are also shooting high and bypass a lot of good prospects. And as I mentioned above, a lot seem to be looking for something other than a serious relationship. When I see the same one's for each time I may have renewed my profile and still see the same females there over the years, red flags begin to build up. I've tried many sites and noticed the same people on them and duration of stays. So it's not just the males. I blame a lot of it on the internet and what it has done to societies social skills.

I get constantly bombarded with spam accounts on there. I think because you don't have to money to initiate contact. I should have gone with a more discriminating site like eharmony or something.

It's the best of a bad bunch in my experience. I've had several dates and one short lived relationship out of it. More than I can say for any of the others that I've tried.

They're all full of men just looking for somewhere warm and wet to stick their penis, and cynical women sick of encountering them. But there are some genuine people on there if you persevere. I find it frustrating that there are plenty of 'hook up' sites for people who just want sex (especially for gay and bi men) yet they seem to hit the dating sites in droves.

I was on it for a couple of years, absolute waste of time. It's either full of people with a relationship shopping list so long it's no wonder they're single or I just attract those sort of women!

Or I may look like a gargoyle...either might be true 🙂

Have you seen our oceans? They’re overfished. Meanwhile, the fish still alive are swallowing mercury from coal and poisoning us when we eat them. Acidification is going to set us back 35 million years, before life could have even existed. Dead zones are everywhere, Coral Reefs are dying, and garbage patches can be seen from space. Bottom line, “fishing” is harder than it’s ever been. 😉

I was on POF but they keep ditching me so I stay away from them now. Maybe they didn't think I was sincere. It's hard to say.

I'm not really interested in fish. I would really love an actual person. Besides, have you seen the conditions of our oceans at this point? They're dirty and polluted and over-fished. That’s right, there AREN’T plenty of fish in the sea. In fact, we have to create farms to grow them. 😉

I have been on it for a couple years now. Intially a paying member but that proved to be not worth it. I like the site a lot. You can filter most wants and also chat for free. I have met a few very good friends on the site as we are too far away to date. It is a good site for it's purpose.
I do hope to see this site become one allowing those who want to date to fill in a larger bio.

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 8, 2018

I have been on it for a bit with mixed results. Talked to some interesting people and quite a few just looking for a hookup. It leans toward being more of a hook up site though there are some interested in really dating.

Kim78 Level 4 Feb 8, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22202
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.