Agnostic.com

433 21

When did you first doubt religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

433 comments (326 - 350)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In the late 1990's. I had a falling out with my church. It was then that I started exploring Deism.

From around ten years of age, as far as I can remember.

sometime in my 20's I guess. Was never really "religious" post elementary school, but sometime in my mid 20's I began to question religion - it seemed it was more about controlling people than actually helping them. There was so much similarity between the various religions, yet they always seemed at arms about how they were the "ONE" true. I don't need that in my life. We all know Lego's are the "ONE" true 🙂 but I digress. As I've .. matured... I see that organized religion is truly not about helping people, but rather advancing their own agenda and building their own wealth.

I was not indoctrinated early but would go to church when we visited my grandparents. I was probably about 8 when I remember thinking “this is all very weird!”

24 years old. I wish my doubts had started earlier.

I've already posted on this.

Probably at age 3 my mom took me to church the pastor/preacher whatever said his bit then afterwards everyone is saying amen I say bullshit get taken out the church and spanked and was never brought to church again

I was 11, my dad insisted I read the bible to "strengthen my faith" Before I even finished Genesis I realized it was all a bunch of BS and there was no way this so called god was benevolent, all knowing all seeing god of love the Christians claimed him to be.

It didn't make me drop the religion, but what probably started me down the road to atheism was having to go to confession for having sex with my girlfriend. I couldn't bring myself to accept that what we shared was so evil. I remained a Catholic for a while, but the experience opened me up to considering atheistic arguments. Watching Darkmater2525's videos is what pushed me over the edge.

The real question should be "when did I ever consider religion to be something too consider"? It obviously is a fantasy concocted by weak minds that think they can live forever. Bolstered by stronger minds that seek to control them. That's all religion is. A control devise used to gain power and wealth. Nothing more. Lots less.

i don't think i ever believed in the first place

I don't doubt religion. I explore all religions and seek spirituality.

I'm so sorry.

First time I asked a question in sunday school. Elementary school.

When I asked a priest why women could not be priests of the Catholic church...And also where in the bible is the passage that says priests cannot marry. I was 12 yrs old.

Women are given more responsibility in many religions.

I was 7 yrs old when I read a pamphlet that has illustration of heaven and hell, and at that time I am already fond of drawings and I appreciate illustrations like comic books and suddenly I just got the gut thinking of how or where on earth those artist got the idea of what the hell, heaven, devil, god looks like? and that was the start of my critical thinking. amen

about half way through reading the bible. It was confirmed by the time I finished it the second time

The final straw came when the shelf broke of its own weight.

As a Christian, I was taught to take those things that troubled me theologically and to "put them on a shelf" and let God reveal them to me in his own time. The first of many items to go on that shelf was the cockcrow contradiction (See Matthew 26:34, Luke 22:34, John 13:38, and Mark 14:30). When I stumbled on that in my reading of God's Infallible Word it shook me but I faithfully put it on that shelf and agreed to trust God. Over time, my Bible study kept dragging up new reasons to doubt, and each would be added to the shelf as it became apparent. One of the last things to go on that shelf was the absurd test for the woman caught in adultery (See Numbers 5:11-31). Ultimately the absurdities, contractions, and immoral commandments found in that book reached a peak where I was forced to make a decision: Continue to believe in Yahweh and His Word, or accept reality.

Finally admitting the truth about Christianity gave me the strength to cast a skeptical eye on all religious humbug.

About age 7-10
Two things: How can one look UP into heaven in prayer when the Earth was round. One would always be looking into a various position in space, even different Constellations. The second....the craziness of the Ark and why we had fresh water lakes (In the U.S. areas the Great lakes or Lake Champlain for example and why when the seas came down why salt was not...seem everywhere as I had a little science project about ground water in Public School.

When I recognized that religion is mostly superstition and I stopped believing in superstition. It wasn't suddenly but rather a gradual realization that the foundation of all religions is mystical nonsense.

I went through a few traumatic experiences growing up that I tucked away, but a few years ago I almost lost both of my sons, and hit would people would call my bottom. I got my broken ass into therapy, and the healthier I got, the less I needed something mystical to deal and cope. I had already been having issues because logic is my go to in times of trouble, so it wasn't a big leap for me.

I can trace the beginnings of my doubts to the discovery that Santa Claus was not real. My parents let me into this secret just days after someone at school had asked me if I believed in Santa Claus and I’d said yes. But it raised two (to me) obvious questions. Is God real? Is the Devil real? I soon discovered that my parents didn’t really believe in the Devil, at least as a being, an entity outside of ourselves. So: Santa is definitely not real; the Devil quite likely is not real; surely this must place a big question mark over God? No, no, my parents assured me. God is real all right. God is different altogether. Well, I bought that for the time being, but the seed of doubt had been planted.

When I saw people having smiles on their faces worshiping a grim-faced jesus. (I saw that Franco Zeferrelli mini-series jesus of Nazareth, I know how this shit works.)

About 14 yr old I was agnostic Atheist by 21 . Religion comforts those who can't accept the fact that we and our loved ones will not exist after death . 66 yr old enjoying life without God as long as I can .

when I was born? Seriously. Even tho I participated in church as a kid, I never bought into it.

I never bought in. By 13 I knew I was a non believer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.