Agnostic.com

433 21

When did you first doubt religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

433 comments (226 - 250)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

as soon as i heard about it

Well, for years I trusted Christianity as a true religion, thus doubting all other religions. But then I started reading and researching. My doubts for Christianity started in 2006, by 2010 I was full blown agnostic.

When I moved from a rural-urban to a metropolitan area, and also I stepped out from my teenage.

When I was a 9yo Altar-boy in a catholic Church and I discovered the Altar-Wine was McWilliams Sweet Sherry.....and I drank 1/2 the bottle

I was probably about 9 years old. I thought about the unfairness of how only those who were exposed to Christianity could go to heaven. I contemplated were others,no matter how good,condemned to hell? The concept of immaculate conception further raised my doubts.

Since I was first told about it.

At 10, I asked a preacher a question about god, and followed it with others. He finally told me not to question god. In school they tell you if you want to learn, ask questions.

I also knew at a young age. I used to drive my Sunday school teachers crazy with all of my questions, only to be told that we shouldn't be questioning the Bible. My response was always "why not?". Needless to say, I never got straight answers for anything. Their answers only brought on more questions.

Aushra: Welcome, and great story. Isn't it nice to be among like-minded individuals?

My first questions started to form when I became aware that Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy were all my Parents, and why was God called "Father" anyway?
(Later in life I did studies on ancestor worship that I found interesting and enlightening.)

Donna Level 6 Sep 28, 2017

After seeing how Turkish politicians are using religion, i become skeptical about religion.

It was when I was about 21 when I came home from the military. It took me about another 15 for me to admit to myself I was an theist.

I was about 14 and went as a guest with my best friend who was a Mormon, to her church. After the service (if I remember correctly) there was a class like Sunday School where they were teaching lessons from the Book of Mormon or Maroni, what--ever.

I started to ask questions. Right there in that class, because what they were espousing was fantasy, pure and simple. (And has since been proven to be quite a sham for gullibles.) What started with the absurdity of Mormonism expanded quickly to the Episcopalian I knew and then I saw the reality of how churches duped people into belonging so they wouldn't be alone and get eaten by the tigers in the tall grasses.

After that, my suspicious nature was on high alert to see what methods were used to get people to join up. All draped in a sky daddy myth....

I was probably 14 when I said 'Shit' inside the D.C. Mormon temple just before being baptised for the dead and I failed to become one of them for using profanity next to the holy bathtub.

I was walking home from the shops, one evening, with my mum near Xmas when I was 5 and saw a bright star. My very religious auntie was at home and when I told her that I'd seen the star of Bethleham and she poo-pooed the idea my skepticism began. About a month later I asked God to copy a sixpence which I hid under the broken lino under my bed. The next day the sixpence was alone, unduplicated. Then considering my my request might be seen as greedy I put the sixpence back and asked God to take it as a gift. A sixpence was worth a lot in 1965, expecially to a five yo child. I waited several days but God to take my coin, but he refused to take my sixpence.
I concluded that since god was neither generous enough to give me 6d nor willing to accept a generous gift of 6d, nor was he able to pass my tests so that the faith of a small boy would be preserved I concluded that either god was not interested in me, that he could not hear me, or that he did not exist. After that God's days were numbered in my view.

About 11 years old. My sister was dieing in a local children's hospital and my family was going through some very tough times. After her death we went through family counseling and once a catholic preist came to talk with us as a family. I was sitting in the room as the conversation progressed. The father told my parents that my sister died because we didn't not go to church enough! She died of kidney failure after spending most of her 4.5 years in the hospital. what kind if god or religion would take such a position. I spent many years through my young life trying to make sense of it teaching myself about church dogma with 6years of catholic school. In the end nothing made sense so I gave up. so here I am ..

About 11 years old. My sister was dieing in a local children's hospital and my family was going through some very tough times. After her death we went through family counseling and once a catholic preist came to talk with us as a family. I was sitting in the room as the conversation progressed. The father told my parents that my sister died because we didn't not go to church enough! She died of kidney failure after spending most of her 4.5 years in the hospital. what kind if god or religion would take such a position. I spent many years through my young life trying to make sense of it teaching myself about church dogma with 6years of catholic school. In the end nothing made sense so I gave up. so here I am ..

From the start because the stuff they were telling me to believe was just plain stupid with no evidence to support any of it so I read the bible and asked them questions in Sinday skool until they threw me out. The my parents tried taking me to the main church and the minister tried to feed me a wafer and wine so I told him I didn't want to be a cannibal after which they told my parents I wasn't welcome and they never took me back. That was at the age of 9..... Then at 12 they told me I was adopted which explained a lot because for years I had been looking for the corners of the rubber masks as I thought I had been kidnapped by an exceptionally retarded alien species for study...

I wasn't ever forced to go to church. I went only when they were giving out free toys for the kids. It only took me two times before I realized it was hypnosis. I was probably 7 years old.

thats interesting. I was around 8. I was a precocious reader and my brother had a ten volume encyclopedia set and I used them to help me learn to draw by copying the illustrations of greco-roman statues and various other things to improve my visual knowledge. Of course I also read all about the old gods which were classified as mythology. Then one day I was outside playing with friends when an unexpected thunder storm struck. The fishing village I lived in was religion daft (14 branches of protestantism in 1000 people) and one of my playmates scared by the thunder said. "God's angry, we should pray" Thinking that everybody knew what I knew I said - laughing - "Oh you mean to Zeus" I got a blank look and "To Jesus, who's Zeus?" t was at that point that I realised that all religion was mythology.

When I learned about Galileo in Catholic grade school...for me, that was a lot of proof of no god. The way the Church went after him, really freaking out. Telling him he had better shutup. When Galileo figured out that the sun was the center of the solar system, it told us a lot.

As a child, around the age of eight, I began asking myself how could I be so lucky to be born into the only true religion. I suppressed that doubt as much as possible.

!7 When I read the whole bible trying to be a pastor like my grandfather .

I'm sure i questioned the existance of God many times, but I really considered atheist when I got very sick for a long time. Lots of people around me told me to keep praying about it, but nothing ever happened; in fact, i kept getting worse because I expected God to give me some sort of sign about what i should do. I figured that if God does exist, I am not very happy with him and feel no point in praying or worshipping him anymore. I realized later that the problem of evil is not the best reason, but i started looking around elsewhere at atheist arguments refuting the reasons to beleive God exists. I think one of the most eye-opening things i learned was about how rediculous justifying a beleif based on faith is.

I began to doubt when someone's picked apart Pascals wager.

Atecc Level 4 Nov 27, 2018

I went through a tough time about ten years ago. I was sick and in the hospital. Of course there was a bible in the drawer. I was a Methodist at the time. Attended church regularly. Anyway I couldn't sleep. Ended up reading the book of Revelation. The entire thing in one night. Afterwards I felt scared. As if I knew I had been conned. Big Time. Then I felt a deep coldness and emptiness. It was then I first felt there was nothing there.

Always. Natural born nonbeliever. Being raised in a Catholic family made no difference. As soon as I reached teen age years I was reading history and critical books about religion. Other teenage boys might have been delighted with a Playboy magazine. I preferred Bertrand Russell. Boring kid, but on the right track at an early age. 🙂

Twelve years of Catholic school here (thirteen if you count kindergarten) and I have NEVER "felt" anything. Not the holy spirit, not blessed, just... bored. And we were supposed to believe this magic Jesus stuff with no questions asked? Hell no. I'm always asking questions. My best friend went to the same school as me, and she feels it all. She is super religious, but in a totally non-judgmental way which is why she is still my bestie. I'd have to say the most I got out of Catholic school is when I told everyone in my second grade class that Father Joe, the assistant pastor, was a werewolf. That was pretty fun. And scary, once I got called down to the principal's office about it. (My mom shouldn't have let me watch "Silver Bullet." )

Ele97 Level 2 Oct 1, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.