Agnostic.com

78 6

Cremation or burial for your funeral?

I found this interesting link about the confessions of a funeral director and a pastor’s disagreement about the cremation of the body. I found it to be quite hypocritical, considering the history of all the victims being burned by the church in history.

[calebwilde.com]

EmeraldJewel 7 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

78 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ashes to ashes as they say. And I already have my biodegradable tree growing urn! Ashes in the urn, seed in the top and plant it, water it, and a maple tree shall grow. I told my son when all those little propeller seeds come down, and the leaves in the fall, they will be cursing me out for decades! ??

I have willed my body to our medical school n my state and it becomes their property once they take possession. Once they have finish with their use of it, they will cremate my remains and return the ashes to my family if my family wants it, if not the ashes will be spread in a garden on their premises. I am OK with that.

Yes! Donate!

@jayneonacobb I like to consider the possibility that I could contribute more to humanity after I die than while I was alive.

I'm a soft tissue donor too! And if I'm dead I couldn't care less what happens to my body beyond that.

@BrianMurphy I agree. They could use it for forensic science. Throw it out in a field and let it decay for evidence investigation.

That's a great idea.

Stuff a ham bone up my ass and toss me to the wolves.

Lmfao! Love your comment.

Epic!

Lmao

Cremation. And I don't want anyone hanging onto my ashes, throw them out with the trash.

Yes, I want to be returned back to the Universe and my remains live forever throughout there.

It doesn't matter, I'll be dead.

JK666 Level 7 Feb 13, 2018

It might matter to you right now, but you are correct and your survivors will make that final decision regardless of what you want.

Teleportation into space. Don't need my dead body contributing to pollution. Maybe my ashes will knock out a Fox satellite.

godef Level 7 Feb 13, 2018

Neither, I want to be put on a pyre barge pushed out into some water and have everyone shoot flaming arrows at my ass.

@MrLizard LOL nice one, I'll have to start watching my wording

Neither, my body is going to a body farm for forensic study. I will slowly decay in whatever circumstances they decide in the hopes that whatever they learn from it can be used to solve murders.

JimG Level 8 Feb 13, 2018

I have tried to let my children know I want the cheapest and easiest option available which I assume is cremation. I would care if they could legally dump my corpse in the desert for the vultures. I obviously won't care, whatever makes them happy.

Donate your body to science! It's free and helps the world after you die.

@jayneonacobb , I'm already a registered organ donor, although with the extremely unhealthy lifestyle I've lead I doubt my organs will be useful to anyone else. Donating to science is probably the more logical route. Years ago I had signed up to donate my corpse to the "Bodies" exposition but I have no clue if that would even happen.

My wife and I contracted with "Research For Life" in Phoenix. They obtain the body, harvest any parts with value, then cremate the remains and spread the ashes in the ocean. My wife tested the system in March 2018. It worked well, and it was free.

Cremation 🙂

Burn this body.

Hefty Garbage Bag, set me on the curb.

What ever the people I leave behind want. What do I care, I am dead!

I'd probably go with cremation just so I don't burden my children with the upkeep of a grave, they can always keep me in a jar on the mantle piece should they so choose but I do quite like the argument for burial given by Neil de Grasse Tyson.

Ive done paid for a $8,000.00 funeral that cost $3000.00 A long time ago. That's what it's worth today. I told my wife to just cremate me if possible and save the rest for her to be cremated. Or visa versa. The easier thing to do for both of us.

Viking funeral. Rowboat, a few cords of wood, 5 gallons of kerosene, and push it out onto Lake Superior when the tide is right.

I have many friends who will shoot the flaming arrows. Probably have a competition for it.

Naw, it would float too far away for me to roast the marshmallows.

@pixiedust
Ouch

There are exposure traditions as well as cremation/burial traditions(the antithesis of Antigone) and also a nautical path of burial at sea.

This is a good prompt to get me to discuss eventualities with my kids. My culture (not theology) is Jewish and I know about the theological stance and am not bound.

Another thought: I'm a performing storyteller and I tell many family and autobiographical stories. One is about my mother--her life and her death. She always aspired to higher education but it wasn't her lot. But she arranged for an "anatomical donation"--her body went to the medical school at the University of Chicago (and would ultimately be cremated). So when she died, (as executor) I honored her arrangement. Some people were shocked.

"How could you?"

I would always answer with true filial piety and as much solemnity as I could muster: "Well, you know, my mother always wanted to go to the U of C."

I am an organ donor, and I will be donating my eyes and body to a university. They will cremate me when they are done and send my ashes to my next of kin for free.

I plan on cremation, and then having my ashes dumped in Puget Sound.

dann Level 2 Feb 13, 2018

I don't really care, I'm going to recommend cremation.

I like the idea of the body farm in Tennessee. When I was a grad student there was a donation program for the skeletal collection here at the University of New Mexico. I like the idea of contributing something to science when it's all said and done.

Me, too!

How cool.

I have been a fan of the Tibetan Sky Burials. Since I have used most of my life consuming that which was made by nature, it would only be far to let nature have its turn consuming me. Of course after any useful has been harvested for those in need. Although human taxidermy should be a viable option. Who wouldn't want an Uncle Bob coat rack in the foyer? Just guess where you could hand the hat.

I would prefer a green funeral.
I want to be wrapped in silk and placed into the ground and decompose naturally.
Death is a big business. We pour all these highly toxic chemicals into our dead just for the benefit of the living and it's absolutely absurd.
Neil degrass Tyson said "I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime"
I don't understand why people can't understand this thought process.

Oh, I like this.

It's not the thought process, it's the ritual and religious ceremony that isn't appreciated. It would be nice if it could be done without having a church service accompany it. It's funny that it's against the law to bury the deceased on your own property but not for the church.

cremation of those parts that can't be used for research

I don't care, throw me in the trash!

Like my husband used to say..."Put my ashes in a douch bag and run me through one more time."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23938
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.