Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (201 - 225)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fuck no. My children are their own people and they will do whatever pleases them most in life. If they wanna go to church, great. If not, great. So long as they’re happy.

No, but I’d be open to allow them to learn about religion and support them if that is what they wanted to believe in. However, I’d make sure I taught them critical thinking skills and to question everything so they wouldn’t be completely naive to the world.

NO WAY!!!!!!!! One does not sacrifice truth for the sake of convenience or temporary popularity.

Never, I'm raising both my children to be critical thinkers, my 7 year old has Come to the conclusion that God does not exist on his own.

Absolutely not!! One of the primary reasons I have always refused to date Christians, is that they insist on indoctrinating their children. I had a very good friend when I was a teenager who was Christian & I briefly considered it. But he told me no way would agree to raise the kids non-religious, so they could decide for themselves as adults. I think raising kids to believe such deluded nonsense to be incredibly immoral.

No, I teach then to be very cautious and wary, as those religious people tend to corner us nthinking people and attempt to burn us at the stake.

I raised my kids in a religious home...I'm sure sorry about that now. But all my children have left religion except for one. If I had it to do over again...no way no how. When I left the church it was so hard to see my daughters worrying over my soul.

Nope... would you raise your kid(s) to be generally ignorant to fit in with the large portion (what is it, like 47%) of the ignorant 'mericons?

Hell no, and we're not. We explained to them what we believe and briefed them on what Christianity is and told them that they can make their own decision on what to believe as they get older and understand things better.

Our 13 year old is an atheist and our 9 year old currently believes in God. We have told her we won't take her to church but she occasionally goes with my mother. We don't discourage what she believes but we don't hide our reasons for our lack of belief.

Oh Hell No! My daughter used to go to sunday school with one of her friends, but it never went further than that. She is a huge star wars fan and I told her that being a Jedi is as close to being a spiritualist as I could describe.

I'm a godparent to children with a Catholic mother who wishes me to raise them Catholic should anything tragic ever occur. If they would like to continue going to church I'll drive them, however, on the way I might mention all the other things in life they could be doing.

no

No. I want critical thinkers. I would expose them to religion, but show them the bad with the good.

No I did not. My ex did make sure they got baptized and joined a church and sent them to Sunday school all just because of societal pressure. I did not pretend to believe "for their sake". My kids always knew Dad did not believe in a god. My ex even taught Sunday school while telling me she did believe either. I think it was 6th grade for confirmation and all 3 of them stopped going to church after that. I think they only went along because their Mom wanted them to.

MattW Level 6 Dec 15, 2017

Just to fit in? No! I have 3 children, they are 14, 10 and 5. I introduced them to religion from a young age just by having them do things with family and friends. Never forced them to learn religion nor did I " preach" my beliefs. I want them to figure it out themselves. My son who is the oldest, stopped doing anything that was related to religion a long time ago. Says the bible belongs in the fiction section and has left it at that. My middle daughter enjoyed going to church and VBS because she was with her friends. Just last year she began asking me lots of questions about things that didn't make sense to her. I told her to think really hard and she'll find the answers. She decided it wasn't for her and stopped attending even though her friends really kept on her about it. She tells them the bible is nothing more than a fairy tale like Disney movies, lol. She is very vocal about telling people how she feels, only if they bring it up first. Sometimes I have to remind her not everyone is as smart as she is. My youngest daughter is to young and still has fun doing the church thing with family, so for now we just wait. 2 down 1 to go ????

No way. However my Christian school education versus Catholic school education after I was expelled from Christina school, was night and day. The Catholics are much more accepting and less pushy while still offering quality education. I think it would be a disservice to my kids to not teach them of as many religions as possible. I would send my kids to Catholic school as monotheistic religion dominates the USA and they should be well versed. We all need to make our own choices and the only way we can do that is with full information.

clea Level 4 Dec 16, 2017

Let me answer your question with an other question would you raise your kid in white suprimise if it was popular

Would I abuse children to fit in... nah...

No.

Fitting in is over rated. Greatness is achieved by standing out, not fitting in.

Actually, there was a rumor going around my son's school that he was a Satan worshiper, and he quite enjoyed it.

If fitting in meant life or death yes.

Never. My motives for doing something never include 'fitting in'.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.