Agnostic.com

348 19

Are you an open or closet agnostic/atheist, and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

348 comments (276 - 300)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am an open atheist to my family and closest friends. As far as the overly conservative close knit community I was brought in goes, not a lot of people know of my deconversion.

I don't dichotomize it to begin with. I bear no responsibility to declare my stance in an imaginary battle. The people who are making unsubstantiated claims are the ones who have to defend their positions.

skado Level 9 Dec 27, 2017

Interesting viewpoint, and quite right I think.

I'm certainly not closeted, but there's no reason to bring it up unless it's relevant. I'm not ashamed of being an atheist, but it's only one facet of what makes me who I am (like 'American' or 'guitarist'😉...

I'm currently in the closet. I'm live in a religious family and despite them knowing that I value scientific reason over so called religious faith I'm scared to publicly drop what the call the 'A' word around them.

I'm open, but really understand why someone would remain in the closet.

I don't go out of my way to advertise it. If asked, I'll offer. If pushed or put upon by someone to do with their religion, I'll push back at least as hard.

godef Level 7 Dec 23, 2017

Open. Why? Life’s too short to hide your real self.

I am an open/active atheist, trying to be less confrontational & trying to "learn" Street Epistemology". I just got an "atheist atom" tatooed on my right forearm as a conversation starter (& because it looks so good! LOL). I will not hide, tho I try to be understanding & respectful, because as xtians are supposed to do, I disagree & dislike & disbelieve the viewpoint & religion, not necessarily the person who holds those views.

I am openly atheistic; as I feel strongly that people should witness for what they believe; and even more adamantly, I eschew superstitions and all the harm they have done, are doing humanity. Put another (positive) way, I urge other people to become themselves; to learn ways of knowing the universe that are real... to live their lives apart from mythos, deal with others humanely, improve the planet.

Closet, because my family and my job would be at risk if I come out right now. I told an atheist friend of mine that atheism would become the 'marriage equality' conflict for the next decade, only that we (atheists) would not get the same equality because unlike gender identity, we do make a choice to be atheist. His reply? "Once you have the facts, is it really a choice?"

I had been more or less very Open for at least 45 plus years I guess. But I don't try to bring it up. I recall arguments in junior high and high school. I was very solid even then... without doubts once I stopped praying at night before going to sleep.

Both. I work and live in a rural community and have a somewhat public position. I am not open about it with anyone but family and friends usually although often many of my employees know.

Open, I'm not a fan of lying.

Like you, I am not a fan of lying, but surely you would agree that there are situations where lying is the right thing to do, if for no other reason than consideration of others. When someone close to you asks if what they're wearing makes them look fat, you might be able to avoid an outright lie, and skirt the truth. However, if you were hiding Jews from the Nazis during World War II and they came to your door, you most certainly would lie. In fact, to tell the truth in this case would be immoral!

Obviously extreme, life or death scenarios lying is necessary, but in extreme life or death scenarios murder can be necessary. I still don't think lying could ever be the right thing to do, only the necessary evil to do the right thing.

If I thought a friend looked fat in certain clothing and they asked, I would tell them the truth. Not as an insult or anything but they wanted an answer and I'm not going to lie to a friend.

In Nazi Germany I truly doubt I could even get into the situation of hiding Jews, I'd either already have left the country, or be dead.

I am an open atheist because I don't want to lie about a fundamental part of my personage.

I'm pretty open about it because I'm not very good at hiding things about myself for very long. I'm very outspoken and proud of my beliefs.

Absolutely 100% open atheist
Cause why not

I am an open atheist. I think the world needs a healthy dose of skepticism

I am open but I don't shove it in peoples faces.

Open but I don't wear it on a T-shirt. Some people have figured it out and some have not.

I don't advertise but I don't hide the fact . Living in the Bible belt I get invited to churches all the time I just say I'm not religious and I'd be a hypocrite if I did attend .

If I am asked, I tell people. I will only voluteer that information if the other person is assuming I am a Christian and is using my lack of comments as agreeing to thier point of view. As in "We are all Christians here.". "Um, I'm not a Christian".
Tends to kill a conversation pretty quickly.

i am open about my agnosticism. I really don't believe in a Traditional God figure, but there are too many unanswered quantum anomalies to have a dedicated belief one way or another. I am open about my beliefs because I don't care what anyone thinks. If people wanna follow Jesus then let them follow the bastard for all I care. I just can't be moved by something so trivial.

Open. In this day and age being closest is old school, backwards. What's the point of progress if you can't express yourself.

I am a mostly closeted Atheist, because I am a teacher in Texas. I have been blasted by strangers when in chat rooms for "ruining children" with my views, and Texas is a Right to Work state. That means they can just non-renew my contract for any reason. I would prefer to remain employed. However, I was raised in and out of the JW cult, so I have been subjected to that religious bigotry and hatred all of my life.

What an unfortunate circumstance of your employment. And growing up JW, you must have so many unique experiences!

I'm open in so much as if I'm asked but apart from that, I have the same beliefs as my dogs or my fish. it works just fine for them.

It always depends on the situation. If I need to confront someone with it I will tell them. If I feel comfortable with telling them I will. If it feels like I'll just be spitting in the wind then it's none of there damn business!

'THEIR' damn business. Grammar and spelling errors do bother me. Especially when they're my own!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.