Agnostic.com

348 19

Are you an open or closet agnostic/atheist, and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

348 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tell people what they need to know, basically I can convince people I believe and that I don't believe. Depends on what I have at stake and if there is a benefit to me appearing religious vs not.

If I worship anything, it is truth. I am open about not having spiritual beliefs of any sort.

I love my country and am proud to stand and put my hand over my heart to say the Pledge, but I leave out the "under god" part which was added when I was young, during the Cold War, to distinguish us from the "godless Commies."

Very open atheist.

Proudly open to all in all situations. It usually stops unwanted conversations with people who think it is there calling to convert anyone who doesn't follow there teachings and donates to the Con men on high. Mostly my own relatives! I don't condemn anyone for there beliefs but I love to debate. I have yet to be engaged by anyone as soon as I mention the facts know to science.

With family I am more closed do to there beliefs.
If asked I am open.

I'm an open atheist because I think it's important to force people to accept me how I am, or get out of my life. I refuse to let societal expectations dictate how I express myself.

I live in the sticks of Ohio were everyone is a baptist i am a closet agnostic and a closet Marxist to admit to anyone of the 2 would be to be shunned and discriminated against.

Open for sure, pretty much always. That being said it's not necessarily something I immediately bring up, it's just that whenever the topic does come up I make sure it's known. I really do wish that "atheist" were the default assumption of people's religious beliefs though, I always feel extremely uncomfortable when people assume I'm Christian.

I am definitely open I am to the point in my life where I don't need anyone's approval I am not afraid to speak my mind on any subject

Tovie Level 2 Nov 25, 2017

I am an open atheist. As a result, I was instrumental in freeing two different theists from the clouds of their faith based delusion. This takes hundreds of hours but is worth the effort as for one, his life has become better as he no longer has nightmares of his chruche's warnings of burning hell forever. All those I have freed have thanked me for allowing them to see the world without having to hate anyone that is not a member of their faith. I don't openly debate all religious assertions but often point out mistakes in the baseless assertions of the religious. In some cases (at work) I usually quietly ignore the nonsensical assertions of the faithful but will respond when directly asked a faith vs science question.

I am a proud militant atheist. I never hide it, even from devout religionists.

Im very open about my atheism, christians can rave and shout about they're ideals, if they can why can't I.

I'm very open about it. Why shouldn't I be? There's too many 'Christians' shoving their religion down everyone's throat, so I feel that I should be a voice of reason.

Open anti-theist, because it's a responsibility to promote awareness of the negative consequences surrounding theism and the delusional and/or incompetent thought patterns that results in theism.

Very open!

I am a pretty open Atheist. I was raised Baptist until one day I sat and read through the whole Bible and realized it's just not morally right to me.

Hmmm

I’m an open non-religious person for anyone who chooses to inquire.

Closets are for clothes . . . not for people 😉

I'm closeted. Im not ashamed, I just don't feel like debating. They'd be more hung up on me not believing than I would be with them believing.

I understand the need for religion, the need to create order out of chaos but they wouldn't understand me NOT believing. My closest friends are religious, I think they may feel like in not a believer, but they aren't sure. My husband doesn't even know.
I just don't want to deal with the stigma.

But really I'm never asked so I don't volunteer the information.

HAHAHA - just try me!

My family of origin is very religious. I live in a very religious area. I work in a conservative industry. It is easier for me to keep my thoughts and beliefs to myself with most people - my best friends are those who have similar beliefs and we've discovered this over time.

I'm an open book, but I'm not here to be judged. I will answer if asked, but I tend not to volunteer this.

I am an open book in every way. I've never spent one second in a closet. I spent 16 years moderating a local online community for lesbians, educating women on the merits of authenticity. With quite a bit of success. Then I joined the local atheist group and all they talked about were the people they couldn't tell. I never went back because I don't have the patience for it anymore. Why? Because I only have one life and I won't apologize to anyone for living it.

I try to be honest about everything with everyone, I consider it an insult to myself if I feel like I have to lie to someone. When in an open forum where you don't know the individuals personally, I stand my ground without elaborating. I am open about my beliefs "IF" I participate in a conversation where It is a "MUTUAL" exchanging of Ideas (and you can usually tell who are the hard headed people) and I am questioned, I try to offer up as much supporting information as possible. Fortunately for me, I have been allowed to have a huge portion of time to think and reason. I have been surprised at the positive reactions as of lately, and I live in Georgia !

I'm open in most of my social interactions. The other members of a Lutheran church ministry in which I am a member, know that I'm agnostic. It's almost as if I DARE anyone to say anything. I have my rebuttals prepared. Not that I would attack their beliefs; I just DEMAND that they respect my beliefs. I believe that my feelings can guide me to being a moral person.

Open Atheist. I don't wear my Atheism on my sleeve - but should someone ask, I tell them as matter of factly as I would my hair color. It is part of me just the same.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.