Agnostic.com

348 19

Are you an open or closet agnostic/atheist, and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

348 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would say im fairly closeted. If someone asks, I'm not going to lie and say I beleive, but im not going to bring it up either. My Facebook profile says Religion - None.

I'm open and honest with my Mother's (Baptist) side of my family about my atheism, and that's an interesting balancing act. I don't hide myself from those who love me, but I'm sure my mom feels that she failed at raising me. At least in God's view. This has got to weigh heavily on her, and I feel bad for her. Bad. For her. Not guilty for myself. Important difference. Still, it's a bummer. As far as the world at large, I would never lie, but I've learned to judge whether or not the beehive that is my present company whomever they be is worth kicking.

I don't hide that I am agnostic but usually only mention it when when someone tells me about their religious beliefs or experiences. I politely tell them either that I am a non-believer or I don't believe in a God or gods. If I'm pushed on the agnostic part, I tell them that I only say I'm agnostic cuz I believe in possibilities. That I think it's more likely that aliens exist than God does, and no one has found aliens yet that I know of.

Open but it's trickier for my kid. She was hassled at her last school for not going to church and has lost a few friends at her new school by being open about it. She's only 7. I suggested to her she might want to keep it to herself at school (very small school in the South in the woods!) and her response was "I don't have to pretend to be like them. It's ok to be different". (So proud)

I'm very open about being an atheist agnostic. I find no shame at all in it and if people don't like me for it then it's their loss. I am who I am and people should accept me for who I am I accept them for who they are.

I am very open with my atheism. Why, is because I'm not living in a theocracy.

Open and happy about it.

Open and proud.

I'm not totally open in the sense that I don't generally announce it. When asked I'm not hesitant to state my views.

I get to "cheat" a little bit I suppose. When around fundamentalist Christians I can honestly say that I'm "Jewish/agnostic like my father before me and his father before him.

The "Jewish" bit give me a little leeway as most fundamentalists tend to respect Jews.

That last bit may well be changing what with Trump's friends giving the Nazi salute while chanting anti-Jewish slogans.

Open. But for business reasons, I try to keep it quiet. I live in the bible belt.

It is the same for me. I only told a coworker because I was asked directly.

I am very open about my way of non believing. I don't flaunt it around at work or try to start a debate with anyone unless someone brings up religion, then I will let them know.

This is my same approach 🙂

me too 🙂

Never had a reason to be a closet atheist. If anybody had a problem with it they could shove it.

totally!

That's the right attitude!

Hmmm, I hate to say it, open in most of my life but since my bosses are heavily religious I just don't talk about it at all. I would not lie, so I guess I'm not in the closet, but I give no clue because I like my job and would like to keep it!

I'm an open lesbian and an open agnostic. I consider them both the same kind of thing.

I don't broadcast it but I would say 99% of the people that know me know I am Atheist/Agnostic.

I don't usually tell people about my religious/political beliefs unless they ask. My family knows I don't believe in God(s) but they just think I'm 'confused,' so I tend not to talk about it at all. But if someone really wants to know they're more than welcome to ask.

Something how believers seem to think non-believer are the confused/delusional ones.

I'm open about my Atheism but I don't make it a point to actively tell people around me unless the subject comes up just to keep working relationships easier and I'm very tactful about what I say. Mostly because I work for a local county government and I have to be careful about what I say and how I say it.

Understood! Would you agree, tact is very important in maintaining professional relationships in general?

To a certain extent yes, but I find that tact often gets in the way of communicating important information or expressed emotion.

I'm very open about it.
I usually tell people that I am a naturalist, that I don't believe anything arises except through means of natural properties and causes.

I like that. I'm going to refer to myself that way for now on. Naturalist says more than does atheist.

I have that refer to themselves as naturalists. I fall into that category, but I'm also agnostic

meant " I have friends...

Open. Vocal. Militant.

Because superstitious religion has been a burden on humanity for far too long, and while it served a purpose to developing civilizations, all usefulness is gone. It can ONLY do harm. even though "some doesn't", it can't do good for our society, it can only do harm.

I'm an closet atheist. I'm afraid that my parents will take me out of the will. Not mention all bagering I would get from them and other believers. I hope to come out one of these days.

Closet atheist...... Reason: I don't wanna die yet 😉 #livinginislamiccountry

Open but reserved, engage when appropriate.

I don't hide it, but I don't flaunt it either. Anyone who asks will get the truth. Being a business owner, I have to play nice. Probably about 90% of my customers are delusional about invisible flying magic interdimensional creatures that communicate with them telepathically (angels). So I can't afford to be as aggressive as I'd like.

Im wide open. I don't make a ton of friends in this town run/owen by a church. However i spent so many years playing by the rules im no longer afraid to step on anyones toes.

I'm generally open though the topic is not relevant in most of my dealings with others, so it doesn't come usually up.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.