Agnostic.com

348 19

Are you an open or closet agnostic/atheist, and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

348 comments (326 - 348)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would like to think I'm open-minded. I'm already for the most part set in my view points, but I have no problem changing when I'm either wrong, been challenged in which the evidence is overwhelming and convincing.

So your answer to the question is?

Open about it. When anyone ask me I just tell them but I also don't have a sign on me saying, "I'm an atheist"...though a neon-sign saying that would be interesting..

I am openly atheist but I don't wear it like a badge. I feel that I should not be afraid of any of my beliefs being exposed, I don't wear it like a badge because that would be arrogant and inconsiderate of others feelings and beliefs.

Open with most people. Closeted when it comes to immediate family. They are very religious and I worry about the concern it would cause them to know.

Belief has divided the world and pits one belief against another. Like my page on facebook: [facebook.com]

I agree (“Belief has divided...&rdquo😉, but do you have a direct answer to the question at hand.

Closeted agnostic. I do not want to lose love or respect of those that I love and respect. This subject is too complex to bring openly to those I love; it would hurt them so terribly and I don't want to lose them, their love or respect and I don't want to argue over endless elements.

Your approach is difficult different than mine, but I understand.

I don't label myself, but by beliefs and opinions are out there for everyone to see.

I am "open" butMind My Own Business (MYOB) unless accosted. And becuz I expect everybody else to MYOB!

I don't broadcast it

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 17, 2020

My friends know but they are also atheist. Publicly I do not identify as atheist because I live in the bible belt.

If someone ask me what my belief is I will tell them. Not many people have asked. That being said I am open.

Unity Level 7 May 16, 2019

I'm openly atheist. I think those that can, should, until the day when it doesn't matter.

Marz Level 7 Mar 21, 2019

Open agnostic. Making true connection with people is extremely important for a well-lived life, but so is honesty, and hiding such an important aspect of one's self inhibits both.

I don't think about it. im just me. theres no reason to be ashamed for living in accordance with reality

I’ve thought about it but two of my brothers and their wives are believers and it would make them uncomfortable.

I’m a closet agnostic. Until I get to know someone. It’s no ones business what my religious/non-religious views are. 🙂

I'm all out athiest. Loud and proud baby. I slowly rolled out my non-belief ??? Can't remember really, over 20 years? The internet really helped me with all the prominent atheists out there. The person I was worried about was my mom. She was surprised and disappointed but ok so I'm ok. I tell folks if it comes up or if some religious nonsense comes up. People roll their eyes at me sometimes but I remind em religion is constantly talking about itself so I do too. I don't pray in public events, I do stand but refuse to pray. I respect my friends beliefs but don't cower away from saying what I DON'T believe in. Nuff said.

Closet agnostic - still trying to figure it out. Twenty-five years as a devout Christian, married in the Church about 23 years ago. About 5 years ago I dove into Christian apologetics. Reason I did this was to better prepare myself for the atheist/agnostic arguments and help someone come to an educated decision. Kinda backfired and now that Pandora's box has been opened I can't close it. Problem is, I'm a Deacon in my church, lead children ministry classes, small group studies, mentor other Christians, I have 3 (late teens) who have been baptized and live a life of commitment to Christ and the church, many close friends in the church and throughout our fellowship of churches. It would wreck a big part of my life. I'm not so concerned about myself, it's my family and friends and what that might do. I can't say anything bad about our life as Christians. It's truly been remarkable. But the cognitive dissonance is so stressful. Just responding to this post is relieving as I honestly have no one I can share this with.

JL4M Level 1 Feb 12, 2019

Im like 95% open. Some of my family does not know but as soon as I start my job and Im on my own (which will be very soon) I'll come out to them too.

I’m open at work and other places, but to my family I have kept it pretty much on the down low. My parents and brother are pretty seriously evangelicals, so I don’t discuss it or it will only cause a big fight. Just the statements I’ve made about the Bible contradicting itself and things like that sparked some pretty bad arguments and hurt feelings.

I’m open. Do I post anything on FB, NO! My family and friends know. If I’m asked, I would most certainly be open. My teenage boys are more reserved at this time though.

Closet. My mom and dad will probably just say I'm having a crisis of faith.

I'm open to being open. If people ask, I tell them. Most don't ask.

Open, the more i say it the less people have to

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.